I have this guy I see at jams. He's a great guy and I look forward to seeing him each time because he is great to be around... except on stage.

He even runs a jam I go to sometimes.

But the truth is he doesn't know how to play with other people. He always plays his rhythm parts too loud, and pretty much only plays at one volume. And the fact that he's not a very good guitar player doesn't help either.

It's gotten to the point where I won't get up on stage with him anymore. I certainly won't go to his jam because, again I might get stuck up there with him.

The problem is...

Is this something I should talk to him about? Should I even go there? He's not a real close friend or anything, just someone I met through jams.

And on a bigger subject, is this even something that someone can learn at this point? He's been playing for many years. Is it hopeless?
Eh...

Don't do it all at once. Tell him that he's playing a little too loud, perhaps.

I don't know.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Why not give him tips and try to help him rather than bitch about him behind his back? If "he's a great guy" and "he is great to be around," and if his only problems are playing too loudly and not being too great, stop being a douchebag and give him some constructive criticism!
Quote by captainsnazz
Why don't you just stop being such a bellend and take it a little less seriously?

m8 how can u

not take music seriously
If he's doing something wrong in a band setting, tell him about it. Keeping it quiet for the sake of bullshit social conventions are what causes bands to break up when everyone blows up at each other for all the little things they do. Just be honest and let him know it's messing up the band EQ, so to speak. Or, get him to pay closer attention to his dynamics!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Man the **** up go over and turn his vol knob down
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Last edited by cha33 armstrong at Sep 5, 2013,
Stop going to jams and embrace the marmalade master race.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
But you can't marmalade your cock up a bird's arse
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Todd Hart

THE MARMALADE SANDWICH
It's a process, not an event.
Just tell him what you think. I'm sure other people may be thinking it.
It'd be pretty embarrassing to be making a fool of yourself and not knowing it because no one tells you.

Also, it is something you can learn. Tell him to really listen to what other people are playing and how he can add to that in his own way.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Banjocal
But you can't marmalade your cock up a bird's arse

No, but during your post-coital cigarette you can say 'Mamma got laid' suavely.
Oh and TS has a stupid second name.
No, just have a ****ing conversation with him like he's a goddamn person worth enough respect to show him what he's doing wrong so he can improve.
Quote by Todd Hart
No, but during your post-coital cigarette you can say 'Mamma got laid' suavely.
But when you pop their cherry, it makes jam!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
But when you pop their cherry, it makes jam!

I don't sleep with three year olds so I wouldn't know.
Man up, and ask him a date.
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

Quote by Todd Hart
hey I don't ever go below twenty one year olds
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Todd Hart

you rang?
Maybe, and I'm just gonna throw this one out there...

Maybe, being a guitarist, he's a regular on the biggest guitar site in the universe and he just might possibly notice that someone he thought he knew was asking 'how do I let this guy know he sucks'

How do you think THAT'S going to hurt?

Man up, chat with him. Explain that when your with a band you have to set up different than you do in front if the family dog!

The main reason for this is poor monitoring at jam nights, perhaps he just hasn't realised that the sound is effectively passing him by and although he can't hear it properly - everyone else can, maybe approach that - suggest angling his cab so the sound hits him first? Or on the nights he runs suggest he sets up with monitors

Also, and this may be the best, use his rig with his setup when he's not playing and let him come to the conclusion that you were to high in the mix.......