i could be wrong but i think he's just picking pretty quickly over the neck (and moving his picking hand up and down a bit to vary the tone a little).

Not certain, though, it's pretty hard to see.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hard to tell for sure but it looks like he going back in forth between picking the string and doing a hammer/pull off with his right hand. w.e its cool I wish they would go in close on what he is doing though.
He's just strumming, he did it like that on occasion...because why not?

It just gives it a slightly different tone, is the only reason I can think of someone intentionally doing it, though I doubt it.
If you listen he's just strumming rather quickly. It does kinda look like tapping but he obviously isn't. Picking farther up the neck gives a slightly different tone and in my experience, makes it sound a bit more percussive/snappy.
yea i think it's just tremolo strumming with the slight tonal variation you get depending on where the pick actually strikes the strings
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Velcro Man
He's just strumming, he did it like that on occasion...because why not?

It just gives it a slightly different tone, is the only reason I can think of someone intentionally doing it, though I doubt it.

doesn't eric johnson do it intentionally to get a different tone?

that being said if we start copying all the things eric johnson does which he claims affect the tone...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
yea i think it's just tremolo strumming with the slight tonal variation you get depending on where the pick actually strikes the strings

This.Its just at the beggining his hand instead of going up and down makes a reversed V sign for the added showmanship
What is the strumming called when you sweep 2 or 3 strings back and forth quickly for fast rhythm?. Like 3 strings does a really fast triplets of a power chord, 2 strings sweeps does 4/4 etc. I do this a lot but don't know what it's called

What I mean more clearly is basically, fretting a 3 note power chord, sweeping down the 3 strings, sweeping back up the 3 strings repeatedly to make a triplet fast even rhythm.

Or doing the same with 2 or 4, after four it sounds too much like normal sweeping and not rhythm playing, anyone do this technique?

Hijacked -but if nobody answers I'll have to start another what the hell is this tech called thread
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 6, 2013,
Quote by Tempoe
What is the strumming called when you sweep 2 or 3 strings back and forth quickly for fast rhythm?. Like 3 strings does a really fast triplets of a power chord, 2 strings sweeps does 4/4 etc. I do this a lot but don't know what it's called

What I mean more clearly is basically, fretting a 3 note power chord, sweeping down the 3 strings, sweeping back up the 3 strings repeatedly to make a triplet fast even rhythm.

Or doing the same with 2 or 4, after four it sounds too much like normal sweeping and not rhythm playing, anyone do this technique?

Hijacked -but if nobody answers I'll have to start another what the hell is this tech called thread

Raking?
I'm sure this has an actual effect on the tone, but at the same time it reminded me of that Michael Angelo Batio stuff where he rapidly alternates grip from below to above the neck for no reason other than to show off
Quote by Dreamdancer11
Raking?

Maybe, I don't know if there is a difference between sweeping and raking, I think no though.

I first heard some guy doing it in Guitar Centre, was like reaaaly fast rhythm, but I didn't actually see him. Later I tried to do it and came up with this way
If you're not actually moving your fingers...you're just strumming power chords in an alternate picking style.
no, sweeping palm muted power chords without lifting your fingers as you would with normal sweeps
Quote by Tempoe
I first heard some guy doing it in Guitar Centre,

I would avoid imitating anything you heard in Guitar Center.
Quote by Tempoe
no, sweeping palm muted power chords without lifting your fingers as you would with normal sweeps

Lifting your fingers is what makes a sweep a sweep. You're building an arpeggiated line with individual notes, you're just palm muting power chords. Some people go up and down, some chug all down strokes, still just strumming chords.
Quote by Tempoe

Well now that you explained it i can be 100% sure.It definately raking, a more percusive cheat sweep if you like .