Page 1 of 7

Yeah so this is a thing: http://www.youtube.com/user/feministfrequency

It's likely that a lot of you if not most are already aware of this channel, and probably have some sort of opinion of it. I discovered it a while back and watched a good few videos. I always thought that she made some good points, and some not so good points, but that the stuff she was talking about was interesting nonetheless. This channel is largely responsible for the popularity of feminism as a topic of debate on the internet right now.

And then I watched some video responses. Oh lawdy.

Whatever your opinion of feminism, the resistance people have to this channel in particular is alarming to say the least. It's worth looking around for some of the response videos (especially if you're a fan of the cringe thread). Most of them were people of the, ahem, 'nerd' persuasion, going on these 'angry nerd rants', or whatever the fuck. The thing is that none of them made any sort of good arguments and just seemed super offended by the Feminist Frequency videos. I mean, a lot of her videos do sort of descend into finger-wagging but usually toward Hollywood writers or the likes, and she's far from being an outright man-hating feminazi.

This is not so much a thread about feminism but about the Feminist Frequency channel itself and about the crazy over fueled resistance people have to it.

What do you think? Hmmmmmm?

Let's type words.
Hold on, let me go find my fedora so I can take it off and bow to these ladies.
Probably some insecurity issue. Men are suppose to be the dominant sex so when women have power, some dudes get butthurt.

I try to not discuss feminism on the internet though. UG definitely started that.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
She seems reasonable/likable enough
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
There are 2 main reasons that her channel in particular gets so much hate and they are as follows:

1. She disables all ratings and comments, effectively shutting down any criticism of her arguments, valid or not. This is a time-honored tactic of people who are wrong about things.

2. She raised hundreds of thousands of dollars from crowdsourcing for a new series of videos she was going to make about women in video games. She made one mediocre video 6 months ago. Where did all that money go?

And that about sums it up.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Quote by jaybsp
Whoa, Whiskey, you're Brad's multi?

Nah, brad's Op would have been "Hey, looks at this feminist girl! Discuss."

^That game video was weird. She made some good points, but most of it just seemed like she was mad she couldn't play as a girl in GTA or Uncharted or whatever. It made little sense a few times.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Sep 5, 2013,
Quote by StewieSwan
There are 2 main reasons that her channel in particular gets so much hate and they are as follows:

1. She disables all ratings and comments, effectively shutting down any criticism of her arguments, valid or not. This is a time-honored tactic of people who are wrong about things.

2. She raised hundreds of thousands of dollars from crowdsourcing for a new series of videos she was going to make about women in video games. She made one mediocre video 6 months ago. Where did all that money go?

2. People were bursting arteries over her long before that, and even so that's a completely separate thing to the arguments she makes.

1. From what I've seen on the internet in response to feminism, her comment section would be far from people giving 'criticism of her arguments'. I understand completely why she disables that stuff.
The comments would be entirely disgusting and meaningless if she had them, I don't blame her either
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
The comments would be entirely disgusting and meaningless if she had them, I don't blame her either

Not that The Amazing Atheist is some incredible role model, but he gets far more shit flung his way and he keeps the comments and ratings open no matter what. It's a weak-sauce excuse.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
1. From what I've seen on the internet in response to feminism, her comment section would be far from people giving 'criticism of her arguments'. I understand completely why she disables that stuff.

See above. Disabling comments is the kind of shit that creationists and conspiracy theorists do.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 5, 2013,
I don't think anyone would benefit from the comments being open. Half of it would be sexual harassment anyway which TAAtheist wouldn't have to deal with
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Women are for pleasure and for service. All else is DEEP confusion and a MAJOR reason so much stuff is f'd up on this planet. TRUTH.
The Blurred Lines parody that's gotten popular allows comments. When I look at them, a lot are surprisingly good. I don't really agree with disabling comments but I've never watched this channel.

^#trufax
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by StewieSwan

#2 is the only reason i need to not like her. i bet that lots of people on youtube make shit of comparable quality and never ask anybody for money.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by StewieSwan
Not that The Amazing Atheist is some incredible role model, but he gets far more shit flung his way and he keeps the comments and ratings open no matter what. It's a weak-sauce excuse.

See above. Disabling comments is the kind of shit that creationists and conspiracy theorists do.

Saying "she disables her comments, which is something people who are usually wrong do, therefore she is wrong" is fallacious, sir.

I will agree she doesn't leave much room for responses but she at least gets the discussion going. I believe she has a facebook page with plenty of comments and the likes.

EDIT: I really dislike her snobbiness myself, but it's definitely not something to be so pissed off at.
Last edited by WhiskeyFace at Sep 5, 2013,
That's basically why I've tried to stayed out of this stuff on the internet.

>Woman who identifies as a feminist does something
>People disagree
>People discredit feminism as an idea and everyone who subscribes to it

It's a pointless argument to make when people base all of their ideas on feminism on a few examples. Those example are usually exaggerated by media or through hearsay. I've seen a lot of people not want to engage with feminism because it's associated with crazy people. Except they can only name one or two people as an example without supplying any kind of knowledge of feminism. It's either those people or the others who use feminism as a weapon of crusade against everyone else as a means of feeling superior.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't like feminism because I agree vai_wins but for real.
#whatyagonnadoaboutit #amIsrs?
Quote by macashmack
I don't like feminism because I agree vai_wins but for real.
#whatyagonnadoaboutit #amIsrs?

It's the natural order of things. Like gravity. But in this case massive confusion has entered the system somehow and things are totally kitty wompus.
She's a professional victim undeserving of anything but the worst attention, she even goes on news and Ted-talks to whine about the "sexual harassment" she receives over the internet.
Quote by Aralingh
She's a professional victim undeserving of anything but the worst attention, she even goes on news and Ted-talks to whine about the "sexual harassment" she receives over the internet.

wat
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
wat
The internet is obviously a judgement-free safe haven for women. Sexual harassment never happens. Obviously.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by BladeSlinger
wat

A professional victim is a person who is a person who portrays a victim in the professional sphere to solicit empathy and attention.
There's too many psycho dudes so hitting women cant be legalized but i swear thats exactly what some of them need. They are similar to dogs in so many ways in the way their operating systems work and many of them are always creeping slowly towards gaining control. A good punch right in the face and a stern rebuke would create a lot of clarity with a lot of them and that's just the truth. This planet is so f'd up its total entropy at this point. Never should have been allowed to vote, serve in any position of political power/armed foces/etc.
Last edited by vai_wins at Sep 5, 2013,
Quote by vai_wins
There's too many psycho dudes so hitting women cant be legalized but i swear thats exactly what some of em need. They similar to dogs in so many ways in the way their operating systems work and many of them are always creeping slowly towards gaining control. A good punch right in the face and a stern rebuke would create a lot of clarity with a lot of them and that's just the truth. This planet is so f'd up its total entropy at this point.

Quote by StewieSwan

1) Since when does anyone have to allow opposing arguments? It's her channel and her videos. She is under no obligation to anyone for anything.

Where do you even get the idea that anyone has an obligation to let anyone rate or comment on it? You mentioned other people that do it. So what? That has no bearing on her videos and is irrelevant.

2) No one is forced to contribute to a crowd source project. You aren't guaranteed anything when you do. If your dumb enough to contribute, too bad.
Quote by Aralingh

How dare she voice her complaint about how people continue to view her as a sexual object while she's trying to prevent that
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
69hz

That's the frequency where their vajayjays get wet for me

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
69hz

That's the frequency where their vajayjays get wet for me

Ha! Sounds like something Ali G would say
I thought it was universally accepted that most of what she said wasn't correct and that it overall is making an issue out of something that's not at all an issue?
Last edited by JustRooster at Sep 5, 2013,
Quote by StewieSwan

1. Youtube comments + gender discussion on Internet = great recipe for fruitful discussion, I'm sure.

There is no obligation on her part to allow those on her vdieo. She's putting out content and it can be discussed elsewhere. Those discussions are in no way restricted by her, hence you talking about it right now on this forum. There is criticism of her arguments goddamn everywhere. Yes, disabled comments and ratings are often used by unscrupulous people, but that is not the case in her part.

2. She has made more videos of great quality. People generally underestimate what it costs to make video content of the caliber that she has (educational videos that would be in schools and libraries, not just Internet video). She uses insane amounts of game footage from all eras of gaming which isn't that cheap.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by vai_wins
There's too many psycho dudes so hitting women cant be legalized but i swear thats exactly what some of them need. They are similar to dogs in so many ways in the way their operating systems work and many of them are always creeping slowly towards gaining control. A good punch right in the face and a stern rebuke would create a lot of clarity with a lot of them and that's just the truth. This planet is so f'd up its total entropy at this point. Never should have been allowed to vote, serve in any position of political power/armed foces/etc.

Not a punch but a good firm slap.
Sometimes when girls just ramble to me this it takes everything in me to not slap 'em.
#freethinker
Quote by macashmack
Sometimes when girls just ramble to me this it takes everything in me to not slap 'em.
#freethinker

Ok. But in that chick's case she needs slspped extra firmly.
Last edited by vai_wins at Sep 5, 2013,
Quote by rockingamer2

2. She has made more videos of great quality. People generally underestimate what it costs to make video content of the caliber that she has (educational videos that would be in schools and libraries, not just Internet video). She uses insane amounts of game footage from all eras of gaming which isn't that cheap.

what do you make of the countless allegations that she simply took a lot of her gameplay footage from other youtube channels, without even giving credit?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by macashmack
#freethinker

Are you serious or just speaking in hyperbole?
I think people spend too much time getting involved in empty dramas on the internet.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
what do you make of the countless allegations that she simply took a lot of her gameplay footage from other youtube channels, without even giving credit?

Huh. I actually haven't heard of those. It's definitely sketchy and takes away from my argument, but I still say that most people vastly underestimate the cost of video production.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK