Ordering off Amazon or eBay results in varying quality so new suggestions for suppliers as well as which 2 volume + 2 tone Assembly/Harness would be welcome. Hopefully I've described what it is I'm looking for well enough. If not take a look here:

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Series-Prewired-Assembly-Shaft/dp/B00E1P29GI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378428473&sr=8-1&keywords=les+paul+volume+assembly

Also I have spare russian PIO caps (but no instrument to test them) and also there were two different common wiring methods that I have noticed: vintage or modern which I'm not too corned about. Just want to get this working.

Thanks !
Seems rather expensive for what you are getting. If you can solder, just buy the individual parts and do it yourself. The Seymour Duncan site is a good source of schematics.
Also there is this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019006
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 5, 2013,
Yea - I did that and ended up with a grounding issue. hmmmmmmmmm
I should just take it apart and re-solder the whole thing.....Just being lazy.

The guitar was a parts build and actually sounds really good with the nailbomb bridge pu. That's until I take my hand off the strings or bridge.
Edit: So you have all the parts already but you just soldered them wrong?
Suck it up, cupcake! Spend half an hour doing the corrections properly and save yourself a bunch of money. Buying an overpriced harness isn't going to make you solder better, and you still have to solder that into the guitar anyway, so you might as well just fix what you have.

What you need (values can be tinkered with, these are the standard ones) :
-500K Audio taper pots, long shaft* (x4) (some people prefer linear taper for the tone pot)
-.022uF capacitor (x2) or .015 (x1) and .022 (x1)
-Shielded braided wire (<1 foot)

*Long shaft pots are for Gibson Les Pauls. Many other makes and models use a short shaft pot, but you should check your individual guitar's pots to be sure. Here's a short and long shaft pot next to each other.
If you haven't earthed the circuit to the bridge properly replacing everything with that assembly will do shit. Fix your earth.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Haha - It's funny I can do tedious programming all day, but wiring produces ADD and I'm like f uh c this. I'm not very good at soldering, bit I've seen some youtube video instructions.

This guitar really seems to have great potential so I'll take the consensus advice and deal with it.
Quote by Cathbard
If you haven't earthed the circuit to the bridge properly replacing everything with that assembly will do shit. Fix your earth.

Yea - I connected a wire to the bridge.
Do you have a multimeter? Check that it's actually making a good connection. sounds like it isn't.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hey - I have the CTS 500k pots and caps but how important is: Shielded braided wire (<1 foot) ???
also some people insulate the cavity, could that be the root cause?
No, if touching the strings kills the buzz you've ****ed up the earth.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Do you have a multimeter? Check that it's actually making a good connection. sounds like it isn't.

Can you please link to a good multi-meter?
That would be cool.
You don't need a good one. Just grab a cheap digital one from ebay. These days even the $10 Chinese ones are good enough for tinkering. Just stay away from cheap analog ones and you're pretty golden.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ok - must get new Multi-Meter
AND check ground to bridge. I don't see how it is that I messed that up, but I'll check.

Thanks for the advice