I just purchased my first tube amp today. Its the Blackheart Handsome Devil. For the past 15 years, i've played acoustic or used headphones and guitar rig or GNX3. I know absolutely nothing about tone, distortion, or fx.

After alot of research, I am getting alot of conflicting information. I really like the natural tone from my tube amp so I do not want dig my GNX3 out of storage because I beleive that will make my decision on getting a tube amp pointless.

I play all styles from rock, metal, blues, classical, etc... I dont want anything that will kill off my amps beautiful natural tone.

What do you guys think might suit me well? Keep in mind I dont have an fx loop.

as far as budget go's, for now im looking at some of the cheapies at the pawn shops, but later down the road may want to invest more so i'm open to anything.
Last edited by IIC420 at Sep 5, 2013,
Btw, I noticed that this amp is VERY sensitive to the tone knobs on my guitar. Other amps ive tried, it wasnt nearly as noticable when I adjust the knobs as it is on this amp. I love this. I would imagine it is also very sensitive to pedals, and from what I read, handles pedals well. Just wanted to point that out

and incase anyones wondering, my main guitar is a MIM Fender Strat, w/ Custom Shop 69 PUPs and a Calaham Trem. I also replaced bridge pup w/ a JB jr .
Budget? Location? What kind of effects are you looking for? Right off the bat I can recommend a transparent OD.

Edit: Love that amp by the way. It's a nice little tube combo.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Last edited by RealGuitarHero at Sep 5, 2013,
going to need a bit more info like budget and location what kind of effect you want
but i can pretty much tell you that a clean boost type pedal would be great to push your amp into a bit more gaain
or something like a tube screamer
I dont want anything that will kill off my amps beautiful natural tone.
Try a tube preamp. I sometimes use a Behringer MIC200 ($40.00 or so at GC) and it's great at getting a natural overdrive when it's quiet time. It makes my Powerblock sound pretty damned good, too.

Note: I did swap out the tube for a JJ. It sounds a little nicer.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Sep 6, 2013,
I did not set a budget. Im low on cash at the moment, but down the road I will be able to purchase the nicer gear. I just play at home for now. I am in an apt but should hopefully get a house soon where I will be able to play much louder. Not in a band, but I have a drummer I like to jam with from time to time.