Page 1 of 31
There is a Computer Thread, but they focus mainly on hardware questions and issues. I know from experience that that is not the place to go for programming inquiries.

So, this place is now the place to go! I heard once before that there was a programming thread already, but I couldn't find it.

Let's bring our expertise or lack-thereof to the SQL table and help each other expand our virtual knowledge!

Post what languages you are familiar/fluent with and I'll update the OP so we know who to ask directly for advice.

NEW: I am updating peoples' proficiencies in languages as they give them to me.
LanguageName [Proficiency Rating]

The proficiency index is as follows:
1-I'm new I don't know what to do! (user has interest in learning that language)
2-Novice
3-Adept
4-Expert
5-Language mastery

---[B]Assembly[/B]---
ironman1478[2]
Godsmack_IV 
captainsnazz
behind_you[1]
sfaune92[2]
--{matt}--[2]

---[B]C[/B]---
CodeMonk
iHurricaneGTR
ironman1478
Dreadnought
Spambot 2
jhmmufc 
captainsnazz 
Godsmack_IV 
behind_you[2]
sfaune92[1]
--{matt}--[2]

---[B]C[/B][B]++[/B]---
CodeMonk
ironman1478[3]
Spambot 2
jhmmufc 
sashki
Godsmack_IV
behind_you[2]
sfaune92[1]
--{matt}--[2]

---[B]C[/B][B]#[/B]---
ironman1478[2]
jhmmufc 
Skynyrd890[2]
--{matt}--[4]

---[B]CSS[/B]---
CaptainCanti
JimmyBanks6 
So-Cal 

---[B]Fortran[/B]---
zincabopataurio
Ssargentslayer

---[B]HTML[/B]---
CodeMonk
Wiegenlied
CaptainCanti
JimmyBanks6 
So-Cal 

---[B]Java[/B]---
iHurricaneGTR
Wiegenlied
Jon777
eGraham[3]
frozen soul
jhmmufc 
So-Cal 
behind_you[2]
ironman1478[3]
--{matt}--[4]

---[B]Javascript[/B]---
CodeMonk

---[B]jQuery[/B]---
JimmyBanks6 

---[B]PHP[/B]---
captainsnazz 
JimmyBanks6
--{matt}--[2]

---[B]Matlab[/B]---
AeroRocker

---[B]Python[/B]---
ironman1478[1]
jhmmufc 
wyldthing
JimmyBanks6 
Godsmack_IV 

---[B]Ruby[/B]---
Spambot 2
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Apr 26, 2015,

I am still a pursuant myself, with a current focus on Java. Next semester it becomes C and Assembly, though. I look forward to working on my own OS this semester, using C and Assembly, to get ahead of the game.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

ive done about 5 java classes, so i know the language but i was never a great programmer. just not enough patience really.
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.

Computer science is entirely witchcraft.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Neeeeeeeeeeeerds

I wish I could java
Last edited by strait jacket at Sep 6, 2013,
I can Ruby!

And C/C++, but I'm better with Ruby.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
10+ years programming experience. Currently working as full time software engineer using C++/C/C# as well as Python and Java at times.
Some C++/Ruby/assembly stuff. Taking a VHDL course this semester.

I don't mind coding, but if I had a job in pure software development I'd shoot myself. I spent the last 8 months working on Ruby scripts for a company.
Not all Software Dev jobs are like that, the one I work is pretty rewarding, and not only in a monetary sense.
yes. there is a coding thread. a big one in fact. its called stackoverflow.com
Quote by Jon777
I have a year of java under my belt and that's about it. More to come as I pursue my CS degree, though.

You can do a degree in Counter Strike now? Are you majoring in Source or Global Offensive?
Taught myself Python to automate a bunch of the repetitive tasks I used to do at work. Now I'm about 4x as productive as the rest of the engineers I work with, but get paid the same.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by Mephaphil
You can do a degree in Counter Strike now? Are you majoring in Source or Global Offensive?

All the top students go for 1.6
Quote by Diamond Dave
Honours CS graduate, coding is the boring part lol

So what languages do you know? For the OP?

Which is now updated, thanks everyone

edit: ****, I didn't save it
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I took a web design class, so I have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS.
¯\_()_/¯
Great thread idea eGraham.

Fluent w/ PHP; HTML; CSS; MySQL; jQuery (a Javascript Library)

can aid possibly w/ Python
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Thanks guys! Glad to see such a response to the thread. The OP is updated--let me know of any issues.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

im taking an intro to C#, this thread ought to be useful
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I know a bit of C and C++ and visual basic. Havn't written any code in quite a while though. Been meaning to get back into it by writting my own game, but meh.

I know BASH too if that counts (Probably doesn't).
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
In terms of getting a job/starting a small business which one of these would be the most rewarding? I mean, which programming language is the highest demand for?
I bring you programming humor.

Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
I worked on a lot of Java and C++. I know the basics of C, and I worked on C# during the past summer. I also know XML and a bit of XAML. Definitely most comfortable with Java & C++.
Quote by eGraham
So what languages do you know? For the OP?

to be honest I don't really see why that would be important. There are API's, man pages and thousands of answers on Stack Overflow for that kind of help.

I'd rather talk about higher level stuff, like how to develop algorithms, worrying about time complexity, what data structure is best for application x, or whatever. Languages are just the nuts and bolts.

I know that sounds condescending, but I don't mean it that way. I've just seen so many people neglect that side of things and it leads to ugly code and clunky programs.
Not condescending at all, I understand. I know that I look forward to your potential input here, and I'm sure others will, too.

As for myself, I'm still rather novice. Finding the best efficiency is just dandy, but at my level, I'm more concerned with just getting it to work
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Not condescending at all, I understand. I know that I look forward to your potential input here, and I'm sure others will, too.

As for myself, I'm still rather novice. Finding the best efficiency is just dandy, but at my level, I'm more concerned with just getting it to work

I know dem feels haha. That's exactly what I was like doing assignments but now I appreciate the theory a lot more. You get to look at some really cool stuff if you continue in CS
Quote by Diamond Dave
I know dem feels haha. That's exactly what I was like doing assignments but now I appreciate the theory a lot more. You get to look at some really cool stuff if you continue in CS

Do you have any advice on how an absolute beginner should approach learning theory? Or is it better to learn to make things work first, and learn the theory later?

The stuff I did at uni was extremely basic. Things like reading from files and doing basic arithmetic. There's a huge gap between that and developing useful software. Where do you even start? I suppose I'd have to begin with learning how a computer works at the hardware level.

I'm sorry if this sounds vague, but there's so much to learn and I don't even know how to approach it.