In 1814!

The British Army marched into Washington, defeated the local militia, had lunch at the White House and preceded to burn it down, as well us other notable buildings,

The reasons seem to be conflicted but the British say that it was due to crimes against civilians on the North Shore of Lake Erie, but I suspect it was just that the high command had realised how much they were losing in the States now they had more time to divert troops following Napoleans defeat, and wanted to show the Yankees what they could do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

Interestingly, the then President; James Madison had a slave called Paul Jennings, who took it upon himself with other house staff to remove and save the portrait of George Washington that had been hanging as the British troops turned onto Pennsylvania Avenue.

It had been assumed that it were the First Lady who risked her life and spent time climbing ladders but in fact, she grabbed what silverware she could and got out of there sharpish. She seemed to do little to change that incorrect assumption.

The burn marks of the fire have been preserved in certain places.

The descendants of those who took part in the removal of portraits and valuable pieces met President Obama and took pictures of themselves with the paintings their ancestors helped save.

You may be happy to know that the British failed a while later in Baltimore, which rallied the US troops.

I found it quite interesting.
Yeah I saw that guy talking to Bill and Sian about this.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Hey Brits, do something useful and please come do this again. We'll pay you back with all that tea we wasted.
Quote by Hydra150
Yeah I saw that guy talking to Bill and Sian about this.

I learned about this while doing my History A level, but that guy reminded me of it. I thought it could make quite an interesting thread, among the 'Bring back child labour'threads.

I'll be buying his book I think.
The War of 1812 is weird. Nothing really happened other than Native American's getting further screwed over. No border change or any game changing ending states.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Wormholes
Hey Brits, do something useful and please come do this again. We'll pay you back with all that tea we wasted.

I doubt we'd fair too well.
Quote by rockingamer2
The War of 1812 is weird. Nothing really happened other than Native American's getting further screwed over. No border change or any game changing ending states.

That's not strictly true. The end of the War of 1812 signified the full end of the Revolutionary War and allowed America and England to progress and develop a relationship. England still had military bases they were supposed to abandon. Maintaining active military bases in a country that just revolted (successfully) indicates that you haven't quite given up on quashing the revolution. They finally gave up those bases and moved on.

The War of 1812 was like that stupid fight you have with your girlfriend after you had a major fight so that you can quickly induce makeup sex and move on with your life.
saying nothing really changed isnt accurate at all. americans wanted to expand. thankfully the brits did well enough to keep me from being a stupid american.
We can both agree it was definitely for the best that you're not one of us. The only place we differ is where we attribute the benefit....
Those arseholes!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by progdude93
We can both agree it was definitely for the best that you're not one of us. The only place we differ is where we attribute the benefit....

Okkk
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez

brilliant
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by CaptainCanti
America too stronk.
Brits too buck teeth ed.

At least we have teeth.

Spare a Cow