FingerFud
91 IQ
Hey guys, may seem like a nooby question but i bought a second hand guitar. It's needing a bit of a clean, especially on the humbucker pickups as the silver pole pieces are a bit rusty. Is it possible to get rid of the rust to make it look good again or would i have to take it to the local guitar shop?
FingerFud
91 IQ
Quote by Eladamri
I would think a good polish with a cloth would be a start. See what it looks like after then!

What kind of polish would i need?

Ps, I'm from Glasgow too :P
Eladamri
93 IQ
I wouldn't even use a polish. Just get an old rag and really go at it. If that doesn't work, a tidy bit of VERY light sandpaper could be useful but be very careful not to scratch the pick ups. Don't whatever you do use anything metal.
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
30 IQ
Quote by FingerFud
Hey guys, may seem like a nooby question but i bought a second hand guitar. It's needing a bit of a clean, especially on the humbucker pickups as the silver pole pieces are a bit rusty. Is it possible to get rid of the rust to make it look good again or would i have to take it to the local guitar shop?

You can use some q-tips and white vinegar and try and rub out the rust on the pole pieces. Dab some on top of the poles and let it set a bit before you rub it off. Don't use too much at once though. And if you have rusty screws you can soak them overnight in the vinegar, then the next day neutralize it by pouring the screws into a cup of water mixed with baking soda and shake it up. Then dry them off.
fernandezs
10 IQ
Jpnyc I agree use a pencil eraser, nothing elese, if you use anything abrasive metal shavings will
stick to the pickup and over time can short out the windings
on the pickup, hopefully the rust is just from the oils in your hand
that can cause a reaction with the metal core/post of the
pickup, and not water