i got a problem guys i am falling out of love with the guitar in a weird way. I have been having so much fun with this keyboard I just do not know what to do it saddens me. Any of you piano players here have good youtube username or website recommendations you use for learning proper technique, sight reading etc etc.
You can't stress over this stuff, man. Give it time, and soon you'll find yourself enjoying guitar just as much as you used to.
place your testicles between the strings and strum yourself to ecstasy
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal

Quote by Banjocal

Really? I pull out the out sqier bullet strat , do that with the sausage and use the testes to whammy my way to heaven! I think u have problems
I'm primarily self-taught but do have some college education concerning piano... basically... hanon and czerny. Nobody likes it but it is a great way to become a great pianist.
So wait what is this thread about?

EDIT: Forget it. What's some advice I can give you? Ummm time heals all things and I'll be banging your guitar next week?
We're all alright!
Last edited by Mathedes at Sep 6, 2013,
well mathedes what is it about to you or do i need to schedule a std testing for you?.
Erc why does no one like those two?.
Last edited by Fourfourforever at Sep 6, 2013,
They are all etudes and they can seem a little tedious. Making them musical can be a pain in the ass. Fortunately though, if you are capable of making czerny sound musical, well, imo, you can make anything sound musical.

Most people want to start playing mozart and chopin, but that repertoire doesn't really develop finger technique... you need a good foundational technique to play that stuff in the first place and hanon and czerny develop that. After you've done the school of velocity you can start looking at some of the more musical etudes (rachmaninoff, scriabin, chopin, liszt, bartok, etc.) or concert etudes as they are called. After that, you can start looking at the real music like the aforementioned composers sonatas, beethoven bagatelles, bach preludes and fugues, etc. The path to becoming a great and competent pianist is a tough one but the experience is definitely worth it.

EDIT --> It is worth noting that the piano isn't a particularly difficult instrument to play. The mechanics of it are pretty easy compared to something like the violin, which I consider to be a far more difficult instrument. You have gravity on your side, while on something like the violin, you do not. Anyways... good luck =)
Last edited by Erc at Sep 7, 2013,
My recommendation for learning good keyboard/piano technique is to get a teacher.

And practice your scales and arpeggio's.

Erc's suggestions seem ridiculous to me. First of all because beginner's probably won't even be able to handle something at the level of difficulty of the Hanon exercises, usually you begin with simple five finger pieces with block chords or simple arpeggio's in the left hand.

Second of all there is no reason to be playing etudes to the point where you can pull of a Chopin or Lizst etude before you actually start playing real pieces. There are plenty of 'real' pieces of a much lower technical level than that, some of the very early Mozart pieces, some of the pieces from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, various other music by lesser known composers and pieces written specifically with children or beginners in mind.

A teacher can help you sort through the rep and determine what pieces are appropriate to your current technical level.

Of course everyone else so far has assumed the TS actually wants to learn classical piano which may or may not be the case.

But whatever the case is you should get a teacher, practice your scales and arpeggio's, and ignore Erc
Last edited by Nietsche at Sep 7, 2013,
hey thanks neitsche and erc. I tried one of the hanon exercises and i can do it fine in c major or A minor with all the white keys but as soon as i try applying it to like A major or B major my brain goes to mush. So far the work i have done in the last couple days with keyboard i transposed all my natural noted major scales using r,w,w,h,w,w,w,h ill be transposing some minor scales under my fingers today. You know what is crazy is how easy and awesome the chordal possibilities are with keyboard you can just make such big chords it is nuts.

Also sorry i have not been clear on were i want to take my keyboard playing but i have done some thinking and it is not classical it is more or less to complement what i am doing with guitar.

On keyboard i just want to be able to play pop jazz, rock, blues, atmospheric type of stuff maybe some fairy elf city type of music. Classical music just intimidates me i feel like i am sitting at a fancy dinner hall in the Hamptons with jeans on when i really rather just be at a white castle.
^ I don't see why you couldn't go to a piano/keyboard teacher and say you wanted to learn pop/rock playing. Even look at the classifieds, I'm sure teachers will list the types of music they're willing and able to teach.

Quote by Nietsche

Erc's suggestions seem ridiculous to me. First of all because beginner's probably won't even be able to handle something at the level of difficulty of the Hanon exercises, usually you begin with simple five finger pieces with block chords or simple arpeggio's in the left hand.

Second of all there is no reason to be playing etudes to the point where you can pull of a Chopin or Lizst etude before you actually start playing real pieces. There are plenty of 'real' pieces of a much lower technical level than that, some of the very early Mozart pieces, some of the pieces from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, various other music by lesser known composers and pieces written specifically with children or beginners in mind.

A teacher can help you sort through the rep and determine what pieces are appropriate to your current technical level.

Of course everyone else so far has assumed the TS actually wants to learn classical piano which may or may not be the case.

+1

IMO you want to be playing "real" pieces as quickly as possible (that goes for any instrument).

Yeah, ok, do it Erc's way and you might have better technique in the long run.

Do it Erc's way and you very well might quit out of frustration that you've made something which is meant to be enjoyable a boring chore. And I wouldn't blame you if you did quit. If I were taught like that I probably would, too.

Erc claims if you can make those pieces musical you can make anything musical; that may well be so, but on the other hand I'd query if anyone who's actually musical can be bothered playing those pieces, at least exclusively as he suggests.

Quote by Erc

Most people want to start playing mozart and chopin, but that repertoire doesn't really develop finger technique... you need a good foundational technique to play that stuff in the first place and hanon and czerny develop that.

I think you just hit the nail on the head there.

Most people want to start playing music. You want to stop them and make them play boring exercises instead.

EDIT: What's even more mystifying is that he said that he didn't even want to play classical music, he said he wanted to play rock and pop.

It's like telling someone who wants to start to learn guitar because they like the ramones* and eventually want to be able to play ramones* songs that, instead of learning power chords like a noob, what they really want to start with is those jason becker sweeped arpeggios...

* I say that with the greatest of respect to the ramones, I have no problem with simple stuff when it's good. In fact, IMO good simple is better than bad complex.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 7, 2013,