Hi all,

Does any one have any tips on getting a good death / brutal technical death metal tone? I have heard most of the Scott burns recordings and tbh prefer them to the digital hyper loud sound that has been going round the last few years. I've been listening to alot of the brutal style bands recently like say suffocation and early cryptopsy.

But I dont really know what to do. Is a sm57 good for hi squeels or ultra low grunts? Are there software or outboard modules that I should use for vocals?

Guitars? I don't know how to get a good guitar sound. Should I buy a few cheap 25watt amps and mix the recordings? get a good bass sound? I have emg pickups but I still can't get that sound. tips for lead guitar producing?
Using crap equipment isn't the answer, it's more to do with not compressing the shit out of everything than using crappy gear.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I posted this in the thread that you made in Musican Talk, but I'll put it here as well, it'll hopefully help a little.

I'm recording a whole death metal EP at the minute, with just an SM57 and EZDrummer. Depending on what kind of sound you want, programmed drums can sound just as good as a live kit (and doesn't need recording!). I programmed all the drums in GuitarPro, then imported the midi to Cubase, separated all of the tracks out and EQ'd them individually. With the kick, I duplicated the track, and had one that was almost entirely below 100Hz, and one that was mainly the high mids, both gated; a thud and a click, as some producers call it.

There are surely better vocal mics, but the SM57 actually does a pretty good job for the gutteral stuff. I'm no good with my highs, but it seems to handle them okay, too. Make sure you use a pop shield, though, I didn't and now there are a few annoying thuds I've had to EQ out.

The 57 is perfect for guitars, though. Definitely double-track your guitars, though I'm sure there's more art to it than what I did (just set it up and recorded the same part with the same sound twice and panned left and right). There was a thread a few days ago about it, Cavalcade noticed I have only a cursory knowledge of double-tracking, but he and the other regulars could all give you some advice.

I just DI'd the bass, and literally copied and pasted the track, EQing one to be very bassy and clean, and one to be mainly high-mids, but very distorted with a free bass distortion plugin called BOD.

The rest is all just standard mixing stuff. This is how it turned out. I'll be releasing the rest of the tracks next week. It might not be the best production ever, but it's all just with that SM57, so you can definitely get a decent recording out of it

http://radicalmeek.bandcamp.com/

(Shameless self plug)
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
hey guys,

Maybe its my boss me25 that is the problem? I don't mind the concept of sounding like a cheap demo, but I don't like the tone I have at all. I heard a great youtube video and the guy just had passive pickups and a degitech player and a creative X-fi pci card. That's what he claimed anyway.

I use EZ drummer and guitar pro. I like putting a 3dB notch on the mid shelf to bring out the skins of the toms aswell.

I'm finishing up a producer pack soon with 100 snares and 100kicks becuase EZ drummer is great but I like the snare on the GAone better. I'll keep experimenting. It's just weird that I had a better sound with a boss me50, bronze BCrich with passive stock pickups and a sound blaster 2 than I do now with active pickups and the new boss.

When I finish my project I'll post it up. But my guitars just are not there atm.
Check out Chris Lucas, he does some great videos that I learned a lot from.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LucasDrumsandAudio

What are you doing with your guitar? Have you got an amp, or were you going to just use virtual amps?
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
A big brutal sound on a recording starts with a big brutal sound in the room. You can't make a wussy singer sound big and brutal. You can't make a 15w Crate sound big and brutal. It's not about the mics just yet. It's about getting the sound you want to start with.

Can you get the sound you want on the recording to be the sound in the room? If not, consider what you might need to borrow or rent in order to get it.

Once you have that, entry level mics will get you about 2/3 of the way home.... but they won't get you all the way home.

For vocals, I'd probably look at a larger-diaphragm condenser - an SM7, RE-20, etc. Maybe even a Senheiser MD421. I'd reserve the smaller diaphragms (like a 57/58) as a second choice.

Before I tried a 57/58, though, I think I'd also try out a larger diaphragm dynamic. Hardly anyone sounds bad through a U87, but something like a Rode K2, AKG C414, or even an AKG 4060 or the like will get you pretty damned close to that.

You need to keep in mind, though, that whatever you choose, there is no magic bullet. Like wines to meals, mics get matched to singers. A bottle of Dom Perignon is expensive for a reason. That doesn't mean that it will go with your Great Aunt Gwendolyn's family-famous Christmas duck with pomegranites. Just because a bottle of Baby Duck is almost universally scoffed at, it doesn't mean it won't be just the right thing for the barbecued ribs with a side of potato chips for the family reunion.

Case in point.... the Thriller album had Michael Jackson's lead vocals recorded with an SM7. Don't think for a second that Quincy Jones didn't have access to bloody well any damned mic on the planet that he pleased. Point was, for Jackson's voice in that room, the SM7 was the best wine for that meal. Yep. They chose a $400 mic over a $10 000 mic.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by batfink84
hey guys,

Maybe its my boss me25 that is the problem? I don't mind the concept of sounding like a cheap demo, but I don't like the tone I have at all. I heard a great youtube video and the guy just had passive pickups and a degitech player and a creative X-fi pci card. That's what he claimed anyway.

I use EZ drummer and guitar pro. I like putting a 3dB notch on the mid shelf to bring out the skins of the toms aswell.

I'm finishing up a producer pack soon with 100 snares and 100kicks becuase EZ drummer is great but I like the snare on the GAone better. I'll keep experimenting. It's just weird that I had a better sound with a boss me50, bronze BCrich with passive stock pickups and a sound blaster 2 than I do now with active pickups and the new boss.

When I finish my project I'll post it up. But my guitars just are not there atm.

If you don't like the tone you get out of the ME, then do what I do when I record through my BP355. Create a blank patch, no distortion, no effects, no amp simulation, just your guitar's straight direct sound. Then in your recording software use an amp simulator and impulse response. Those typically sound way better than the amp sims built into pedals simply because they have more processing power to work with.
a lot of the heaviness from a guitar tone comes from the bass, i'm not sure if you already know this but it's something that helped me so I thought i'd share. On my mixes if you take the bass away the guitar tone still sounds ok, but doesn't have the super low power that you might expect, always leave space for the bass. Remember to make sure it sounds good in the mix, if it sounds good alone that's great, but doesn't always mean it'll mix well. Many times i've had what I thought was good guitar tone but then in the mixed it just didn't sit well. Hope this helps