didnt see this anywhere, so this may not be the right place....

are there any sites out there that have pre-made midi patterns for download?

i couldnt really find any, maybe im not searching for the right things.

any help MUCH appreciated!
You're best off writing your own. Failing that, if you have Guitar Pro or TuxGuitar, you can look at some tabs with drum parts, and see how they're written. Just don't use GP6 for this; GP6 uses a different system for drum notation than MIDI. TuxGuitar is free, though.
Quote by Cavalcade
You're best off writing your own. Failing that, if you have Guitar Pro or TuxGuitar, you can look at some tabs with drum parts, and see how they're written. Just don't use GP6 for this; GP6 uses a different system for drum notation than MIDI. TuxGuitar is free, though.

+1

Find some GP tracks and you can literally export the drums as a midi file. Spend some time analyzing what you like, and you'll pick up basic drum composition in no time.

I write all of my own midi loops, and it was a slow start but now I'm very comfortable. During mixing sessions for our new EP, my bandmate and myself sat down and spent probably 1 hour+ dragging blocks around on the piano roll getting one drum fill perfect. That said, all of the other loops came out very naturally. Use your fingers, tap on your desk, use your ears and move things until it sounds right.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
If you know how standard notation works, and you look up some basic drum lessons, you can probably work out how to write parts from there pretty easily. Before I learned to drum, I just played on my lap for a while, it gives you a pretty good idea of how drum parts works
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by Cavalcade
Here's a map of which note triggers which drum in a MIDI sequencer, by the way (click for a better view):

There's no way that's universal, is it?

Personally, working in Ableton, I have a grid onto which I can place any of my drum samples to create a custom drum rack. I can put them on any note I'd like, although there may be a standard arrangement with the pre-loaded kits (I don't use them).

That's the only experience I have, so it's totally possible that every other DAW uses that standard map. I still prefer the custom grid approach, though
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall

No. It only covers so many different drums. Most samplers have more than the ones listed, but in general, they're mostly compatible with that map. It's part of the General MIDI standard, after all; it's about as close as you'll get to universal.
Quote by Sid McCall

if you are using any drum program, it should at least have the option to use the general midi layout. its the same thing that would be in guitar pro/other similar programs. it make it easier to export the midi from one source to another.

now, some programs use their own layouts (like addictive drums) or you can set up your own. but the general midi layout is pretty standard.
thanks for the help guys. im using superior drummer for my drums right now, and i dont know how their map compares to other programs. im already pretty familiar with how the mapping works and how to create parts, i honestly just dont have the patience to map out a song of another bands that im planning to cover, for example. thanks for the help!