So I've been looking at threads all over the place on modding Pro Jets, but a lot of them seem to be based on the old Pro Jet without the Blacktop FilterTrons. Still, they mention tuning problems which I'm having with the Bigsby.

I was considering changing the bridge for a while, but I don't know if the price of a Compton bridge can be justified. I also don't know which of the cheaper roller bridges fit (one of them really helped with my LTD). Recently I thought about changing the nut, which seems cheaper and a lot of people mentioned it being a worthwhile mod. I was looking at the Fender LSR nut.

If you were me, which mod would you perform first, in terms of improving tuning issues and maybe improving tone?

EDIT: Thinking back, I probably should have put this in the Gear Customizing area, but sure as long as I get an answer...
Last edited by DeanoM50810 at Sep 6, 2013,
A roller bridge would be a very good idea. The FSR is a good nut but it's got a big issue in that if you accidentally pop out a ball bearing, the whole thing is ruined and you won't be able to get it back together. I'd suggest an upgraded nut of a Tusq or Graphtec instead for that reason, but really the FSR is fine too. I just don't like adding extra parts when it's not strictly necessary.

Perhaps if you're getting that installed you can have your tech do a full setup on the Bigsby at the same time. Also, make sure you're using the string-locking technique for stringing:
(Invalid img)

As far as tone, TV Jones is the first stop for any Gretsch upgrade as far as I'm concerned.
TV Jones pickups are THE pickup of choice for that kind of upgrade. Others are good or even great- like Lollars or some of the curom builders like The Creamery- but TV Jones. They're the gold standard.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Roc8995
A roller bridge would be a very good idea. The FSR is a good nut but it's got a big issue in that if you accidentally pop out a ball bearing, the whole thing is ruined and you won't be able to get it back together. I'd suggest an upgraded nut of a Tusq or Graphtec instead for that reason, but really the FSR is fine too. I just don't like adding extra parts when it's not strictly necessary.

Perhaps if you're getting that installed you can have your tech do a full setup on the Bigsby at the same time. Also, make sure you're using the string-locking technique for stringing:
(Invalid img)

As far as tone, TV Jones is the first stop for any Gretsch upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for moving this thread to the other area, and for the advice. Seeing as dannyalcatraz also recommended TV Jones pickups, they're obviously pretty damn good, but is the tone difference worth saving up for? I've probably enough to buy a roller bridge and the nut you suggested, but if you think it's worth it, then I can wait.