Page 1 of 2
Throughout school the kids who do well in tests get ridiculed. Class clowns are popular. I never though it was the right thing to do, calling kids "boffs" but the clever kids got the last laugh in the end.

Then I see this shit on tumblr and it strikes me as really immature:

What's wrong with being successful? Why do people do it, is it to make themselves feel more secure in their crap jobs and tiny apartments after they flunked at school?

Thoughts Pit?
When people try and become successful solely to show off to others, and not for themselves(and giving your family a decent life, if you decide to have one), then it's wrong. In my opinion obviously.
depends on what you mean by being successful
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I was never top of the class or anything like that, I occasionally was the "class clown" and mucked around. Skipped a few classes... Didnt go to uni or college after a-levels. Straight into working full time in an environment that I enjoyed... Spent several years doing it and progressing upwards a little. Reached a ceiling and now moved into a different industry... Got a promotion 2 months ago with more responsibility and enjoying it.

Not been living with parents for 4 years nearly, have a car, job, safe amount of money and income vs spending. Good friends and I live my life. I'm single and no tie downs.

I consider myself succesful and I'm only 23
Just a plain rocker dude...
Problem is success differs for each person. Maybe your success is making millions while mine is getting a job I love. Maybe your success is getting married while mine is travelling around the world.

Success isn't graduating school and getting a stable job. Not to everyone, anyways.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Then I see this shit on tumblr and it strikes me as really immature:

^^^
Why is walk on the pavement in there? Like these other ones I can kinda see how someone can be angsty about but seriously
Quote by Wormholes
When people try and become successful solely to show off to others, and not for themselves(and giving your family a decent life, if you decide to have one), then it's wrong. In my opinion obviously.

Agreed.

Being successful means different things to different people. Personally, I don't automatically consider someone with job and financial security as someone successful. My parents have their own company and they can afford luxuries but I don't think they are successful. They are always complaining about not having enough and they are not passionate about what they do. Seems miserable for someone "successful".
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
the difficult thing with being "successful" is that it's just the thing everybody normally goes after (whether it's really of their own volition or not) so it's easy to rib on it as being a robotic or slavelike. people will always find reasons to poke fun at the mainstream. and rightfully so, i sometimes think - i heard that most people with regular jobs have some form of very minor depression.

there are people who revere the "successful" lifestyle, like conservatives - so it just depends on the crowd you're asking. i'm sure it'd be "cool" to be "successful" among those groups.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Just posting in here to say how stupid I think that image is
My God, it's full of stars!
being successful is cool. it doesn't necessarily have to mean having a good job, financial security, a nice shiny car, etc
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
cringe.png

You should put a warning for the cringe because I almost died of cringe.

Being successful has always been cool. The losers are just butthurt. Which makes it all the better.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
But being succesful is by definition a good thing.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
You'll be pretty cool when you have money to throw around, the ability to buy possessions that are cool, eg. a car, nice clothes, when you have your own house to throw parties at, when you get with good looking women, when you're the boss of the type of people who use to ridicule you, etc. etc.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Dreadnought

This.
Sail upon the open skies
being succesful is cool i was never ridiculed at school for being smart because iw as also cool
and now i have a job where i make decent money can afford some nice things alot of my money does go to my family casue my dad lost his job but i am happy right now and thats what makes me succesful

if youre "succesful" and unhappy i dont think youre succesful
Quote by Xiaoxi

Being successful has always been cool. The losers are just butthurt. Which makes it all the better.

+1

If you're better than someone, know it

I'm better than all of you
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Wiegenlied
You'll be pretty cool when you have money to throw around, the ability to buy possessions that are cool, eg. a car, nice clothes, when you have your own house to throw parties at, when you get with good looking women, when you're the boss of the type of people who use to ridicule you, etc. etc.

Ya, that being the boss of the Highschool bully thing sounds great, until it happens and you realise that once you get to the state where you're competent enough to be someone's boss you have responsibilities. If you go into a job like that with the attitude of "Aha, now I'll get my own back" then you won't be the boss for very long.
Also, as an added bonus, because you are now the bully's boss, his incompetent fuckups are, at least in part, your responsibility to answer for. Hurray!
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by naedauuf
Problem is success differs for each person. Maybe your success is making millions while mine is getting a job I love. Maybe your success is getting married while mine is travelling around the world.

Success isn't graduating school and getting a stable job. Not to everyone, anyways.

I think you're successful as long as you make enough to live comfortably whilst doing what you live.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I think you're successful as long as you make enough to live comfortably whilst doing what you live.

What if you're one of those people bumming around the world with barely enough to scrape by? I've read blogs by some people who do this, and they seem pretty happy. Money is a factor, but it's down to the individual as to how much of a factor it is. If you're happy with your life, you're successful, imo.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

its not being successful thats uncool its people like my coworkers calling anyone who makes below 100k subhuman proletariat that's generally a drag
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Ya, that being the boss of the Highschool bully thing sounds great, until it happens and you realise that once you get to the state where you're competent enough to be someone's boss you have responsibilities. If you go into a job like that with the attitude of "Aha, now I'll get my own back" then you won't be the boss for very long.
Also, as an added bonus, because you are now the bully's boss, his incompetent fuckups are, at least in part, your responsibility to answer for. Hurray!

Wise beyond your years Paddy.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by whywefight
you're just too brainwashed to admit that the system has you on your knees

Is your avatar Holly Michaels?
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
You read the comic wrong TS, it's supposed to make fun of our current system of life. These are the rules in how to be like so many people, so you don't suffer the fates of others who don't follow this system.
It could mean
1) Life is pointless
2) What's the point in children
3) Forget your dreams and go to a more stable for of life
4) ect
Quote by TheGreatTarp
You read the comic wrong TS, it's supposed to make fun of our current system of life. These are the rules in how to be like so many people, so you don't suffer the fates of others who don't follow this system.
It could mean
1) Life is pointless
2) What's the point in children
3) Forget your dreams and go to a more stable for of life
4) ect

You read it wrong sir.
What it means is:
Look at me I'm an angsty non conformist teenager that fucking knows it all already.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Success is doing what you want to do with your life.

All else is failure.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by Dreadnought

yep

Quote by Xiaoxi

and yep
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Never said it was revenge thing, just a irony thing. As for responsibilities, I don't reallynknow what to say to that. You don't have to be a bosss to have them, you will at any job, anywhere. If you don't then what are they paying you for. And as for being responsible for other peoples actions, you either address them a d get them to fix it, or you fire them

These 'boss problems' seem pretty miniscule in comparison to not being able to pay the bills, facing eviction, or not having enough money to eat, etc
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
First day back at college today. I saw an old school friend. I've always been pretty hard working with my education. He was clever, but loved to just do nothing and make people laugh, eventually becoming an ultimate stoner/slacker.

I was walking back to the campus after diner with some friends and I saw him in a group of losers. It's interesting how he went down a route where he was exited about working at Aldi. Makes me happy inside. Am I bad for that?
Quote by Nero Galon
First day back at college today. I saw an old school friend. I've always been pretty hard working with my education. He was clever, but loved to just do nothing and make people laugh, eventually becoming an ultimate stoner/slacker.

I was walking back to the campus after diner with some friends and I saw him in a group of losers. It's interesting how he went down a route where he was exited about working at Aldi. Makes me happy inside. Am I bad for that?

You may be more successful with your education and career, but that fact that that would make you feel happy is pretty sad.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by Wiegenlied
Never said it was revenge thing, just a irony thing. As for responsibilities, I don't reallynknow what to say to that. You don't have to be a bosss to have them, you will at any job, anywhere. If you don't then what are they paying you for. And as for being responsible for other peoples actions, you either address them a d get them to fix it, or you fire them

These 'boss problems' seem pretty miniscule in comparison to not being able to pay the bills, facing eviction, or not having enough money to eat, etc

Most bosses don't know how to be bosses. All it takes is one toxic boss to ruin a great job.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by guitarist41
You may be more successful with your education and career, but that fact that that would make you feel happy is pretty sad.

See I don't really understand why its necessarily bad to be happy about success. It's a good thing that you should be proud of.
The cool levels of clowns, delinquents, party people, etc completely switch with those who study, plan, and succeed right around age 24.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Last edited by Spoony_Bard at Sep 6, 2013,
Quote by Nero Galon
See I don't really understand why its necessarily bad to be happy about success. It's a good thing that you should be proud of.

No, I meant being happy at the failure of others.

Being happy with your own success is great.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Page 1 of 2