I keep trying to write a7x style harmonies for me and my second guitarist, and i understand that trademark harmony sound that they produce comes from jumping between major and minor thirds. While I do write in this style, it often ends up sounding a bit odd and not as punchy as I would hope.

So i was wondering: When writing in these intervals, and using either a major or minor third, do you decide which one to use by trial and error; or by scale? Ie, is it just a case of experimenting with different patterns of major and minor thirds, or is the major/minor option decided by where the harmony would fit in the scale?
For example, say I'm writing in the E Natural Minor, and a given note is D. A maj3rd would be F# and min3rd an F. F# is in the scale, so is that how it is selected? Or is it trial and error?

We're not a rip off band, honest! Its just a few bits where i wanted that eery harmony.

Thanks
If you harmonise the scale you're using in thirds then that will give you the correct pattern of majors and minors, or as a quick reference just look at the chords of the key you're in.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If you harmonise the scale you're using in thirds then that will give you the correct pattern of majors and minors, or as a quick reference just look at the chords of the key you're in.

Cheers
Yeah use the scale. So if you're in E natural minor:

E F# G A B C D

and your melody was something like (making this up) E E F# B

you choose the third note along the scale each time: G G A D

Sounds awesome when you get it right
I teach guitar, so if you're in Uxbridge, United Kingdom and fancy brushing up, get in contact! Uxbridge Guitar Lessons