Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted on here. I'm looking for some advice on what to purchase regarding a six string guitar. I've been in the seven string market for quite a few years now. So I know quite a bit about seven strings and which ones to go for.

However I haven't bought myself a six string in a very...very long time. So I was wondering what sort of models are in the new market that are appealing to a person going for a thin neck and an ST body.

I'll be playing mostly tech metal stuff on it. Think "Fallujah" and "between the buried and me". I'd prefer a mahogany body if possible.

My budget is around £600 but it's flexible maybe by about £100.

I've been looking at the Ibanez RG921QMF in blue or red. Although I much prefer the blue, it seems they've went out of production...

I have some others in mind that are a little older models and I'd probably have to go used for them. I'd rather have a brand new guitar than settle for something second hand though.

Many thanks in advance!
i'd probably try to get a prestige rather than a premium. granted, that's without having tried the premium, but still. the trems on the prestiges are better, apart from anything else.

Nice to see you around again
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd probably try to get a prestige rather than a premium. granted, that's without having tried the premium, but still. the trems on the prestiges are better, apart from anything else.

You might want to explain the differences ("better") between the trems on the prestige and those on the premiums.
Quote by Blackfire.
Does the OP want a trem?
The Op gave a link to a guitar with a trem, so we can assume so.

I'd look at the Ibanez S series in your price range since they're made out of mahogany. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-S570DXQM-Electric-Guitar-105916183-i1499770.gc Here's one new example.

I guess ESP H-351FR and Schecter C1-FR also do the same type of idea (Stratshape, mahogany body, two pups) I'd look at them too, although you may have to sacrifice your finish preference. I'd also look used, because you may want to upgrade the bridge. The Floyd special (which is on the ESP and Schecter) isn't bad as far as stability goes, but it doesn't last as long as an OFR does. I can't speak for the Zero Resistance bridge of the S570DXQM, but the Edge models tend to be a bit of a crap shoot. I'd look up which models get better praise.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
The Op gave a link to a guitar with a trem, so we can assume so.

I'd look at the Ibanez S series in your price range since they're made out of mahogany. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-S570DXQM-Electric-Guitar-105916183-i1499770.gc Here's one new example.

I guess ESP H-351FR and Schecter C1-FR also do the same type of idea (Stratshape, mahogany body, two pups) I'd look at them too, although you may have to sacrifice your finish preference. I'd also look used, because you may want to upgrade the bridge. The Floyd special (which is on the ESP and Schecter) isn't bad as far as stability goes, but it doesn't last as long as an OFR does. I can't speak for the Zero Resistance bridge of the S570DXQM, but the Edge models tend to be a bit of a crap shoot. I'd look up which models get better praise.

That link shows me it's a fixed bridge.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/manual/english/5.pdf
Last edited by Blackfire. at Sep 6, 2013,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
The Floyd special (which is on the ESP and Schecter) isn't bad as far as stability goes, but it doesn't last as long as an OFR does.

I don't think the Floyd Special has been around long enough to have established any kind of durability record. While it's entirely possible that what you say is true (to be established at some future date, maybe 20 years in the future), I've got what are probably pretty cheap licensed versions from 1992 and 1993 that are still going very strong with performance about the same as a new one. At best, I think we're going to have to say that there *may* be some relative durability differences, but I'm not at all sure what that might work out to.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 7, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc

Nice to see you around again

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But they're way out of my price range new (Ibanez fairly threw up there prices by like, two fold), so If it was going to be a prestige, it'd probably have to be second hand.

Thanks! It's nice to be back :3 and it's nice to see a familiar name.

Thanks for all the input so far guys, I've been checking out all the suggestions.

I have to say I'd prefer a guitar without an fr, but it's not 100% essential. The 921 doesn't have an fr, the 920 does however.

I checked out the fernandes and godins, I just don't really dig the aesthetics of the guitars. I'm pretty picky about how the guitar looks. If I wasn't they would've definitely been options.

Never really liked 6 string schecters.

Again if it was going to be an s series, I'd probably just wait for a decent prestige model second hand. Because the ones I'm looking at new in my price range are pretty meh neck wise.
I checked out the fernandes and godins, I just don't really dig the aesthetics of the guitars. I'm pretty picky about how the guitar looks. If I wasn't they would've definitely been options.

Fair enough!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dspellman
You might want to explain the differences ("better") between the trems on the prestige and those on the premiums.

fair enough.

the trems on the prestiges are better.

happy?

good.

Quote by Sora 01
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But they're way out of my price range new (Ibanez fairly threw up there prices by like, two fold), so If it was going to be a prestige, it'd probably have to be second hand.

Thanks! It's nice to be back :3 and it's nice to see a familiar name.

keep an eye out on online stores, sometimes you can still get deals on new old stock prestiges.

I didn't realise you didn't want a trem, though. Sorry about that I'd still suspect a prestige to be "better" (though likely with fewer cosmetic frills on the cheaper models), but at least you don't have the achilles heel/deal-breaker crappy trem to deal with.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sora 01
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted on here. I'm looking for some advice on what to purchase regarding a six string guitar. I've been in the seven string market for quite a few years now. So I know quite a bit about seven strings and which ones to go for.

However I haven't bought myself a six string in a very...very long time. So I was wondering what sort of models are in the new market that are appealing to a person going for a thin neck and an ST body.

I'll be playing mostly tech metal stuff on it. Think "Fallujah" and "between the buried and me". I'd prefer a mahogany body if possible.

My budget is around £600 but it's flexible maybe by about £100.

I've been looking at the Ibanez RG921QMF in blue or red. Although I much prefer the blue, it seems they've went out of production...

I have some others in mind that are a little older models and I'd probably have to go used for them. I'd rather have a brand new guitar than settle for something second hand though.

Many thanks in advance!

This could be an option. ST body, thin neck, Mahogany body, no trem, brand new, similiar finish to the RG. If you have a certain preference for pickups your budget would allow for you to swap to whichever you like. Just a thought.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-guitar/mh-1000nt.html
Quote by Blackfire.
This could be an option. ST body, thin neck, Mahogany body, no trem, brand new, similiar finish to the RG. If you have a certain preference for pickups your budget would allow for you to swap to whichever you like. Just a thought.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-guitar/mh-1000nt.html

It shows up for £650 new here, which is slightly over my budget, however this looks like a viable option. I also dig the model with the floyd in see through black. I need to start making a list...This is going to be a hard decision.

I'm actually eying up the s570 ibanez, it'd leave cash for a decent pup change and other things...but then I've also seen some really sweet prestiges on offer used. Geez...
Quote by Sora 01
It shows up for £650 new here, which is slightly over my budget, however this looks like a viable option. I also dig the model with the floyd in see through black. I need to start making a list...This is going to be a hard decision.

I'm actually eying up the s570 ibanez, it'd leave cash for a decent pup change and other things...but then I've also seen some really sweet prestiges on offer used. Geez...

Ouch over here the average price is $700

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPMH1000NT
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-s570b-electric-guitar-white--70874

I quite dig the look of this. I mean, with the extra cash I could swap out the pups and nail in some blackhawks or something.

But then there's also this.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rg1451-whp-white-plaster/31020

£550 ibanez prestige...mmmm

I've got to wait until the end of september to buy it anyway, but I think I have a lot of considering to do.
I know right? It looks pretty delicious. I could even afford a hard case too. hmmmmm I know the necks on even the standard s series are pretty good too. It's mahogany. It also has a pretty good trem.

Quote by Sora 01

But then there's also this.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rg1451-whp-white-plaster/31020

£550 ibanez prestige...mmmm

I've got to wait until the end of september to buy it anyway, but I think I have a lot of considering to do.

yeah that's the kind of thing i'm talking about. You can definitely get NOS prestiges for around your budget. Now, how it's been looked after in the shop is another thing, lol, but yeah. Also I think that one only comes with a gig-bag, not a hard case- I seem to remember hearing some mutterings that that model maybe had non-prestige hardware or something like that (could well have been BS, but then again, might not have been).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah that's the kind of thing i'm talking about. You can definitely get NOS prestiges for around your budget. Now, how it's been looked after in the shop is another thing, lol, but yeah. Also I think that one only comes with a gig-bag, not a hard case- I seem to remember hearing some mutterings that that model maybe had non-prestige hardware or something like that (could well have been BS, but then again, might not have been).

Yeah, It was tempting. But this popped up http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-QUALITY-Stunning-Ibanez-PRESTIGE-2620-Quilted-Maple-Top-electric-guitar-/161101445465?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item258264f959

I ended up putting a deposit down and it looks like I have it.

It looks pretty fantastic. I'm happy with the purchase. Apparently it's a rare mahogany model too.
Last edited by Sora 01 at Sep 8, 2013,
very nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?