I'm non-American and I think it should remain open
4 8%
I'm non-American and I don't care/know
14 27%
I'm non-American and I think it should be closed down
0 0%
Voters: 51.
Page 1 of 2
Has the USPS become a dinosaur in modern times? Is it pissing away too much money with too little to show for it?

I think the answer is yes.

I'm very much involved with the USPS, UPS, and FedEx at my work and by far USPS is the worst one to deal with. It's way more complicated to send packages through them and at least once a month they'll kick a box back to us (after holding it for a week or two) and make us send it again because we forgot to tick a box on page 3 section 5.1.

Additionally I ordered a textbook for class and it was shipped USPS and it didn't arrive until about 9 days after the sending sent me the shipping confirmation. I'm currently waiting on another package that they have, despite the sender giving me the tracking number on Monday (5 days ago). It sat in the post office for 2 days before it was even scanned into their system and as of right now, they have yet to even update the tracking location, so I haven't a clue where it is. It might still be sitting at the sender's local USPS hub.

Anyway, all this adds up to one conclusion for me. The USPS needs to be closed down. It's archaic and there are superior (and often free) alternatives.

What say you?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
USPS is soooo cheap to ship tho. Packages are free and it's just like $10 to ship something an dI haven't had any trouble.

Also they should put twin turbos on their trucks to speed up delivery.
USPS is going to get a lot of business from me.

Put like 50 old college books on Amazon today and 5 already sold.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by FearMyLightning
USPS is soooo cheap to ship tho. Packages are free and it's just like $10 to ship something an dI haven't had any trouble.

Also they should put twin turbos on their trucks to speed up delivery.

Ain't nothin "free", son.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I've had the most problems with UPS rather than USPS. USPS in my experience is pretty reliable (I'm always, ALWAYS, buying stuff on ebay). UPS sucks for its tracking system. If it's my choice, I choose Fedex all the way.

I've ordered packages in the same state that I live in that took 2-3 times longer than a package that was across the country. I think you're dealing with a routing issue(s) rather than a reliability issue.
Quote by magnus_maximus
Is USPS state owned or something?

Federal.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Also, you should do away with the entire, "I'm American/I'm non-American" choices seeing that Americans couldn't give a shit less what other countries think of our postal system.
Quote by StewieSwan
Ain't nothin "free", son.

I could go get like 20 boxes and it would be free and they wouldn't get profit cuz I don't have anything to ship fgt lel
I order a shit load of stuff from amazon, it's always through the usps and it gets to my house incredibly fast. Plus the lady that delivers the mail is pretty hot.
Quote by Dirge Humani
USPS is not publicly funded, they're not wasting any public money.

Also a funny factoid I read earlier today: The USPS (United States Postal Service) sends mail, while the Royal Mail sends post.

Just cause they aren't publicly funded on the surface doesn't mean they aren't publicly funded at all.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Article 1, section 8, clause 7 of the U.S. Constitution establishes the post office.

There is no provision for not having a post office, and it is that clause the gives congress power to designate roads.

It's not something than can just be closed. Privatization is another can of worms.

Also, part of their money woes are because the congress pass a law requiring that the postal service has to have their pension fully funded for 75 years into the future.

No other businesses are under any such restriction. This requirement cost the USPS $5.8 billion right off the top.
The postal service is such a small part of the federal budget that looking to cut spending there is akin to a family trying to save money by cutting back on parking meter usage.
Might as well be, their service is shit
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I'll use FedEx whenever possible. USPS was still using some type of DOS OS last time I was there. I was seriously shocked. They're probably operating at a loss and yea seems obsolete to me.

UPS no thanks
Quit complaining about USPS it can't be any worse than getting stuff mailed here

Like when I order stuff from ASOS (for example) it gets shipped here in a day or two but then it takes 5 weeks to get to my house from the post office which is less than 10 mins away. I should just go in the back and collect it instead of waiting for them to give it to me.
cat
I ordered a textbook from them and it got here fast as hell. Also they deliver mail at my house at 10:30 am while UPS comes over at like 6 pm , so I much prefer whatever I order to be shipped through USPS.
The USPS should be closed down because it just isn't competing with the other services. FedEx & UPS could easily take up any slack left by the closing of the post offices.
I have never had a real issue with the USPS around here, except that it usually takes 3 or more hours to update the tracking online. The mail truck that runs our route leaves at like 7:00am and the mail is usually here before it even says "out for delivery." Sometimes the truck with all the shipments (including mine) coming from the distribution center in Atlanta doesn't even get to the local office until like 6 and I'll still get it that day.

But then again, I live in the suburbs, and I can imagine that local post offices with more people to serve (or vast distances to cover) would be less reliable.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
I think Stewie should be closed down

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The USPS should be closed down because it just isn't competing with the other services. FedEx & UPS could easily take up any slack left by the closing of the post offices.

Suicide is an option. Take it.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
lol, why do people even care about mail? everything is on the internet
idk about america but I know australia post is the only thing that'll still do letters, yes courier services are better for packages often, but if it's just a postcard or a single document you need to send then the postal service is easier and usually just as fast.

but idk about america
They've been fine for me. Granted, I haven't worked with them professionally.

The specificity of this thread is unusual haha
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by StewieSwan
Just cause they aren't publicly funded on the surface doesn't mean they aren't publicly funded at all.

Expand.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890
Expand.

Wonder twin powers activate. Form of gas!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Ziphoblat
Something the UK has privatised that the US hasn't?

Damn commies.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
What's the coverage like for the USPS and private options like Fedex and UPS?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by willT08
Why in the fuck would any non-American have an opinion about this?

My point exactly.
Shipped 7 books across the United States today. With the packaging, it cost me $35. Not too shabby.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

if the usps just isn't competing then why are they still in business?
Page 1 of 2