I've got a buddy who wants to sell his SGR C-7. I haven't played any of the guitars in this line, and I'm not sure of the quality or sound quality, or anything really.

Any experience with these? Any info. would be nice.

He's willing to sell it for $100-$130 so I figure it to be a decent deal.

Thanks in advance.
The SGR guitars are Schecter’s cheap beginner guitars. They’re made to compete with cheap beginner guitars from Ibanez, Dean Squier, and Epiphone. If you just want a cheap guitar to **** around with then maybe it’s a good deal at $100. But don’t expect it to play like the great Korean Schecter guitars.
Not a steal. But it’s probably going to be a lot better than the $100 guitars at Guitar Center.
The SGR C-7 was the first 7 string guitar I bought, to dabble in prog metal (Dream Theater, Periphery) and in the world of extended range instruments in general. The wood is fine, they are well built, and stay in tune very well for a Chinese-made guitar. Being someone who grew up on a Fender Strat, it was a pleasant surprise when the tone knob actually made a difference in the tone. There is a little bit of fret buzz. The only other complaint I have is that the pickups are really crappy. They're very bright, and cannot handle high outputs. It would be an awesome guitar if you were to invest in new pickups, for example DiMarzio D-Activators or Bareknuckle War Pigs. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is good for the money, but not a steal. If you were to buy $100-$200 worth of good pickups, you would have a pretty badass guitar in your hands. That's $300-$330 invested into a guitar, assuming you were to buy a good set of humbuckers, which is still not a lot of money. It won't sound good out of the box, but new pickups will make it sound as good as any other guitar, for not a huge price tag. So, buy if you have more money than the price of the guitar itself, and are willing to invest that money into new pickups.
Sounds like a decent idea. Actually the offer comes at a really interesting time.

I have been considering the proposition of de-fretting my Ibanez SZR just for fun and something new. However I don't want to ruin the epic inlay work on the fretboard or chip the binding on the neck in the process.

This 7-string could be a great opportunity to get that fretless guitar I've always wanted, as well as being a 7 string which would be even more awesome.
Just remember that de-fretting requires you to fill in the gaps and smooth them over. That’s a lot of labor to put into a cheap guitar.
Quote by jpnyc
Just remember that de-fretting requires you to fill in the gaps and smooth them over. That’s a lot of labor to put into a cheap guitar.

True but it's also a lot of risk to put into a more expensive guitar.