So I'm finally starting to get some students and teach guitar. So far only kids, which I expected and am fine with.

Anyways, anyone ever teach someone as young as 5? I've never taught anyone that young, and I'm a bit puzzled as to what exact direction to take. To be honest, I feel like it's just a bit too young to learn electric guitar. I've got this one 5 year old, and he just kind of slams on the strings with his right hand, and that's really all he wants to do. The attention span is especially low for kids that age, and I also feel like 95% of what you teach in the lesson is completely forgotten once it's over.

Anyways, it feels kind of demoralizing like I'm not doing my job properly. Anyways, any of you guys have experience teaching young kids? Or any advice?
They're 5. They're not supposed to be learning scales on guitar. They're supposed to be banging around drums and playing games
Yeah man what will said.

they're 5, don't expect much excitement or progress. If anything the most productive thing you could probably do is inspire the hell out of them with some serious shredding.

Make a game out of it, keep them interacting and involved. They're 5... you know how kids are.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
I guess one thing worth mentioning is that the kid's dad is with us for the whole lesson, which I'm perfectly fine with, I just kind of feel like I'm always being graded as an instructor.
Quote by The Madcap

Anyways, anyone ever teach someone as young as 5? I've never taught anyone that young, and I'm a bit puzzled as to what exact direction to take. To be honest, I feel like it's just a bit too young to learn electric guitar. I've got this one 5 year old, and he just kind of slams on the strings with his right hand, and that's really all he wants to do. The attention span is especially low for kids that age, and I also feel like 95% of what you teach in the lesson is completely forgotten once it's over.

Impress him with something fast as snazzy, then ask him if he wants to try it. Break it down for him and teach it to him note for note. After a while he'll learn to respect you, provided you aren't a terrible player.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
I gave my cousin piano lessons starting when she was about 5 or 6. Just have fun with it. Make it into games and stuff. It's not really that they aren't interested (though I suppose some could be) but that they have such short attention spans. You gotta keep changing things up.

Showing off can definitely work too. Little kids are very easily impressed and will want to learn more if they think they can be as good as you.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Have him arrange and then perform Sarasate's Zigeunerweisen. I got it down in about 20 minutes in my first lesson at 2 y.o.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Have him arrange and then perform Sarasate's Zigeunerweisen. I got it down in about 20 minutes in my first lesson at 2 y.o.
I'm above that pop culture dribble.
In that case, teach him how to twerk.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I've taught kids around like 6-10 before

they probably won't practice much, but the way to go is teaching basic reading

hal leonard's guitar for the small fry is a pretty good collection of beginning to read, and it helps to supplement those lessons with any sort of melody to either a popular song, one the kid would know or one they like
Quote by Fryer Mike
They're 5... you know how kids are.

I think that's the issue here, he doesn't. (Good advice tho) Neither do I to be honest, I'm VERY awkward around kids.

If the kid wants to learn certain songs, try working on those with him, also try to teach him how to read music, as that is something that will simply help him a lot in the future, and learning 'languages' is easiest at a young age; The concept of how music notation works is simpler than the alphabet, anyways. Getting him to mess around with that a bit already will help him a lot in the long run.

Butyeah, apart from that, make sure the parents aren't expecting too much either; If you as a teacher believe the kid is too young to actually learn guitar the way you're used to teaching; Tell the parents, and discuss what the best thing to do would be. They're paying you after all I'd imagine.
Tell me who's that writin'...
I taught my roommates the basics before they took their first legit music class. I'd liken that experience to teaching 5 year olds, yea.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I've taught a 5yo before... never practised, classic case of parent wants the kid to be motivated to do it rather than get involved.

When parents call me now and say they have a 5yo, I say no. I've started having a minimum age of 8, any younger and their hands are pretty weak too, so they physically can't play for very long. I make an exception if they say their kid has some sort of natural musical ability / ear for music. But considering just how many guitar students there are out there, I'd be inclined to find someone easier to work with that wants to learn the kind of stuff you'll enjoy teaching!

That's pretty awesome things are picking up for you teaching wise
I teach guitar, so if you're in Uxbridge, United Kingdom and fancy brushing up, get in contact! Uxbridge Guitar Lessons
Just teach a few scales and simple tunes.

In primary the generally accepted rule is that they can concantrate for as many minutes as their age. So your 5 year old here should get 5 minutes of input + practise and then a little break - maybe put down the instrument and move around the room.
I almost only ever teach old people (60+). Sometimes kids though, but never young kids.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.