I have a fender frontman 10g. It's a little practice amp with no mid control (only bass and treble). The overdrive (od) is pretty decent, but i need some crunch for metal. Is going with the Boss Metal Core pedal a good deal for this amp? Will i be able to get the crunchy, scooped mids type sound with this combo? What alternative should i take instead? thanks.

edit:

or should i go ahead and just buy a new amp w/ high gain presets? a preamp or solid state for metal and rock.

Budget: $300 max
Use: home playing/practice
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Sep 7, 2013,
Get a new amp.

But give us this information first:

Budget, Location, Styles of Music, Gigging or Home Use.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Why not a used Vypyr tube 60, or a Vypyr 30?

Bigger speaker (which is good for metal) and a whole friggin' not of nice effects to play with.
It also does metal pretty well on its own, so if you get that you'll not need to use pedals, unless you want something very nusual which isn't in the amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
this seems more like realistic expectations. your amp isn't capable of producing crushing metal tones it's just a little basic practice amp (and a fender who aren't known for those tones even on their high end amps). as mentioned u need a better amp. I agree with the vypyr suggestion. pedals may give you more distortion but the speaker in your amp can't produce the sound you want. right tools (within reason) for the job.
Quote by Spambot_2
Why not a used Vypyr tube 60, or a Vypyr 30?

Bigger speaker (which is good for metal) and a whole friggin' not of nice effects to play with.
It also does metal pretty well on its own, so if you get that you'll not need to use pedals, unless you want something very nusual which isn't in the amp.

Oh yeah. I just watched TheToneKing give a rundown on this amp on youtube. It's pretty sick, i must admit. I will invest. Thank you!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

go here, they have good deals on used gear and they have a 30 day return policy www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

they have a Peavey Ultra 112 for $219. It is a great amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 7, 2013,