i bought a mystery 4x12 cab a while back with no writing at all on it . even the speakers only had serial numbers. i was able to track the serial # to emenince somthing (its been a while now) that were made for the tubeworks 4x12 back in the 90s .but that is all the info i could find. now im trying to do more research more about it (ohms,watts, ect.) and i can find absolutly nothing at all. it has two speaker inputs but if you only use one only half the cab works. im still new to speaker/cab lingo ,so does anyone know anything about this ...thing? any help would be appreciated
Quote by vegetaof9
i bought a mystery 4x12 cab a while back with no writing at all on it . even the speakers only had serial numbers. i was able to track the serial # to emenince somthing (its been a while now) that were made for the tubeworks 4x12 back in the 90s .but that is all the info i could find. now im trying to do more research more about it (ohms,watts, ect.) and i can find absolutly nothing at all. it has two speaker inputs but if you only use one only half the cab works. im still new to speaker/cab lingo ,so does anyone know anything about this ...thing? any help would be appreciated

does anyone know anything about unlabeled cabs?

sorry, not much to work off of here

does it look something like this?

then it is probably a tubeworks cab.

you can find the impedance of the cab by using a multimeter to measure the impedance of the individual speakers and figuring out how it's wired. usually a 4x12 will be 8 or 16 ohms wired in series parallel.

you can then email eminence and see if they have any specs on the speakers. i had to do that once with a music man amp i have.

tubeworks is probably most famous for a pedal called the tube driver. they incorporated the pedal into an amplifier at one point (maybe that is where you cab comes from). somehow they are associated with genz benz but i don't exactly know how.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
yup mine is a slant .but the fuzzy wrap and metal corners are the exact same. i can see where the emblem once was but it is gone. thanks for the tip i will track it down the hard way if i must but surely someone around here has had one of these before
gumbilicious

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I have that exact Tube Works 4x12 cabinet and I'm hoping to find out more info on it (speaker types, wattage, ohms, wiring diagram, etc.). If anyone can provide any info I'd be grateful.
Well, you can measure the ohms. Use a multimeter. Disconnect an individual speaker and measure it. The d.c. ohms are about 2/3 of the a.c. ones so measure 6  ohms and its an 8 ohm speaker. Measure 12 ohms and its a 16 ohm one.

Now, power is a bit of a problem, without a distortion measurement its a bit tricky but to estimate power measure a.c. volts with a multimeter as you send a signal into the speaker from an amplifier. Power = Voltage square divide by ohms. So turn it up until you here the speaker distorting and measure the voltage, then quickly turn it down. This should give you a very approximate power rating. In an old 4x12 I would expect something like 30watts rms per speaker, making the cab 100-120W. 
Quote by lazycomet
gumbilicious

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I have that exact Tube Works 4x12 cabinet and I'm hoping to find out more info on it (speaker types, wattage, ohms, wiring diagram, etc.). If anyone can provide any info I'd be grateful

it is a bit hard to say, you would need specific information.  there are tone works cabs out there that have been identified as using eminence speakers, but the specs of the eminence speakers may not be readily available.  many cabinet manufacturers use eminence as a source of OEM products/speakers, but the actual specifications of the speakers may not be readily apparent because the speaker is made to the cabinet manufacturer's specifications.

for example, i have some old OEM eminence speakers in my music man amps, but they are not a standard aftermarket specification.  at that point you have to contact the company (eminence or tone works) directly to try to get the speaker specifications.  my problem with music man is that music man does not exist anymore (it was bought by ernie ball, and ernie ball was not able to provide specifications for speakers they did not order for amps they did not design) and eminence made the speakers so long ago that they don't have the records anymore.  unfortunately eminence commonly designated these OEM speakers with very generic model numbers like 12G (12" guitar speaker), 12A (12" alnico speaker) or 12C(12" ceramic speaker), which gives you very little detail of the actual speaker spec.

I could make some educated guesses though, most tube works cabs i have seen seem to be rated at 8 ohms.  this would imply the cabinet is loaded with four 8 ohm speakers wired in series-parallel.  most eminence speakers i have run across are rated for at least 50 watts, meaning your 2x12 may be able to handle about 200 watts.  this is pure speculation though.

i would at least run a multimeter across the terminals on the speaker cab to read the resistance (ohms) to get an idea of the impedance.  the meter would read about 6 ohms for and 8 ohm rated cabinet and about 12 to 14 ohms for a 16 ohm rated cabinet.lazycomet 
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 23, 2017,
Quote by lazycomet
gumbilicious

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I have that exact Tube Works 4x12 cabinet and I'm hoping to find out more info on it (speaker types, wattage, ohms, wiring diagram, etc.). If anyone can provide any info I'd be grateful.

bringing back threads from the dead is frowned on. make a new one in the future