So, I decided 6 months ago taking my guitar in for a setup wasn't worth my time. It seems like the intonation and the works is always out of whack. For the most part, I've been able to setup my guitars to my liking.

My only worry is, how much relief is too much relief? Should I worry about causing harm to the guitar's neck? I know somewhat of a concave bow is usually preferred to fight off fret buzz. I've done the fret tests and all and the eyeballing test. It just seems like a sick amount of wood bending sometimes when I look down the neck.

Here's a lil Guitar Pron to go along w/ that. The first photo isn't much of a neck shot, but hey.

Last edited by RockAddict311 at Sep 7, 2013,
Put a capo on the first fret.
Hold down the last fret with your right hand.
Try slipping a thick business card under the sixth string at the eight fret.

If the business card will not go in, you need more relief. If the business card goes in and will stay in place, you might need more relief. If the business card slides through with just a tiny bit of room you are probably doing fine. If the business card can flop up and down in the gap you have too much relief.
You may want to have a tech look at it. There seems to be a lot of bow in pic two but none in the other two. That looks like it's twisted.

The last pic looks nice and straight on that side. I would see a tech.
Last edited by D_M_I at Sep 7, 2013,
Setting up a guitar is such a subjective thing, because everybody plays guitar in a different way.

Generally, the relief between the string and the 9th fret should be about half the thickness of a credit card when fretting the 6th string at both the 1st fret and the 16th fret. That's how most people set their guitars.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by jpnyc
Put a capo on the first fret.
Hold down the last fret with your right hand.
Try slipping a thick business card under the sixth string at the eight fret.

If the business card will not go in, you need more relief. If the business card goes in and will stay in place, you might need more relief. If the business card slides through with just a tiny bit of room you are probably doing fine. If the business card can flop up and down in the gap you have too much relief.

Whoa, stop.

The "rule of thumb" has never been a business card. It's a "new playing card" which is considerably thinner than a "thick business card." If you've got enough relief for a "thick business card," you've got way too much relief. Contrary to popular opinion, relief should be almost zero. If all else is as it should be (level fretboard and frets, etc.) there does not need to be a measurable amount of relief in the neck, and a properly set up guitar will not buzz with a flat neck. A good professional setting relief will do so with automotive feeler gauges, which are thinner yet than the "new playing card", which is used only to show you *roughly* if you've got too much.
Do you guys think I have a warped neck then? I purchased it used at guitar center and took it to a tech immediately after. They claimed it was fine.

EDIT: Went to shop in town here. They said she's fine. They claimed the nut on the one side made it appear more concave than it actually was. He did some additional tweaking on the truss rod and bridge free of charge.

I felt guilty so I purchased a guitar strap :p
Last edited by RockAddict311 at Sep 7, 2013,