Hi, I'm looking for a guitar amp that's around $200.

I've played on a Mustang I amp, but it doesn't handle distortion pedals very well (sounds bad, and gives tons of feedback if your hand is removed from the strings). After playing on this, I thought about getting a Mustang II for the extra power, but I don't know if I should get a tube amp or an SS amp.

I like the SS amps, because there's such a wide range of sounds, but the tube amps because I can use pedals.

So, does anyone have a good amp that they could tell me about? I play in a band with a few friends, so I need something with a little power.

I don't know much about amps, but are there any SS amps that I can use pedals with, and still get a good sound? Thanks
Why not get a combination and get a Vypyr Tube 60? Doesn't need distortion pedals and sounds great.

If you want better answers though, can we get some answers to the following questions please?

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
^FFFFUUUUUU! Beat me to it.

SS amps are good for two things: extreme metal, or cleanest cleans ever.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 7, 2013,
Quote by telemetal
Why not get a combination and get a Vypyr Tube 60? Doesn't need distortion pedals and sounds great.

If you want better answers though, can we get some answers to the following questions please?

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc? I really like changing up from clean to distortion when I write songs.

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Budget: roughly $200

Genres: hard rock, metal (but not death metal), alt rock. Favorite guitarist is probably Dave Murray.

I prefer new equipment

I occasionally gig, and whenever we have group practices, there's always a drummer.

Closest City is panama city Florida.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by ploxxies at Sep 7, 2013,
With $200 you need to look used or you will not get anything better than what you currently have. Trade in or sell your current amp but first, save a bit more money.

I just looked at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear and they have a Peavey Ultra 1x12 combo for $219. You should jump on that, it is a great amp and very versitile
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
With $200 you need to look used or you will not get anything better than what you currently have. Trade in or sell your current amp but first, save a bit more money.

I just looked at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear and they have a Peavey Ultra 1x12 combo for $219. You should jump on that, it is a great amp and very versitile

I think anything is better than a 30w bass amp :P. I always have to use my buddy's amp, so I'm sort of screwed over right now. Yeah I'll check out the used stuff. I don't need anything amazing, but something decent.
Your Mustang doesn't handle distortion pedals well not because it's SS but because it's a digital modeling amp. You don't need distortion pedals if your amp gives you good enough distortion sound on its own. Modeling amps are for people who want all the sounds they need in one package. They aren't designed to work well with pedals.

SS amps don't necessarily have a wide range of sounds. You are again talking about digital modeling amps. And there are also tube modeling amps like Peavey Vypyr Tube or Line 6 Spider Valve (OK, they are hybrids). And there are analog solid state amps like Peavey Bandit or Roland Jazz Chorus.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by ploxxies
I think anything is better than a 30w bass amp :P. I always have to use my buddy's amp, so I'm sort of screwed over right now. Yeah I'll check out the used stuff. I don't need anything amazing, but something decent.

/\
|

WHAT HE SAID

Il give my two cents even though I never really like it.

In my honest opinion your distortion pedal is an issue I've personally always used the amps own gain as you have alot less problems. Unless your playing an amp thats very clean and can't get the distortion you want then that's good cause to use a pedal. But a Mustang has got every style of distortion why are you jamming a pedal infront of it. If its the stage flexibility you want get the foot switch for the mustang II. The point of a those kind of amps is that it has every pedal effect in it.

As for that feedback that happens when you take your hand of the guitar is normal for any amp there is a scientific explanation for it but the point is you just have to be quick to turn down the volume knob or get a noise gate pedal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/combo-guitar-amplifiers#N=500432+700001+100505&Nao=0&recsPerPage=60&v=g&Ns=oR&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

those are the amps I search through in your budget and it's slims pickings If you could save up then do but if you like the Mustang II then you should get it. Try it with the footswitch with a gain channel and clean and see if that works better then your distortion pedal. I'm not trying to shit on parade but you would have less problems without it frankly
Last edited by itsonlyauser at Sep 7, 2013,
Save 50 extra bucks and get a vyper tube or snag a flextone.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Just buy that friggin Ultra and sling ya hook.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Here's one, 25 6L6GC tube watts in a Fender. Use your pedals through the clean channel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Champ-25SE-amp-amplifier-tubes-hybrid-Celestion-speaker-/300958617835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46128810eb#ht_38wt_1121

I had one of these for a while and they're the ignored Fender. They kill for the price.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Sep 8, 2013,
You are confusing A SS amp with a modeling amp. A SS amp can take pedals well and most modelers don't. The flextone has an effects loop wich takes pedals well.