Hi guys, i have been playing guitar for about 6 years now, and in a band for 5 of those.

I have always been a rhythm player and never a lead player.

I am mainly self taught but had some lessons, however dont really play other people songs or do covers.

I have now been told I need to start playing more lead guitar for the band but have no idea where to start or how to write lead stuff, s any help would be great.

Thanks

ATR
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Well the first thing to do would be to identify what it is you want to sound like, from there the path becomes a lot more clear.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, obviously the mechanics of playing single-note lines. Scales, arpeggios, all that stuff.

There are several strategies for "lead" playing. In most pop and rock playing, the lead lines are based on a riff or hook, a repeating figure that becomes identified with the song.
You can base this off the melody of the song, or off the chord changes.
Most jazz improvisation is either off the melody or the chords.

But in most pop and rock playing, there isn't much improvisation... Fans want to hear that solo just like it was recorded on the record or CD or whatever. Maybe a little improvisation...
So most players not only have to play a lead line, they have to memorize it as well.
Well I would love to have a zakk wylde type of solos, with a mixture of other bands.

But I was thinking more of solos and the like. The best way to learn how to write one or learn how to do them etc
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Quote by avenge the rage
Well I would love to have a zakk wylde type of solos, with a mixture of other bands.

But I was thinking more of solos and the like. The best way to learn how to write one or learn how to do them etc

Since you like Zakk but even for any other guitarist, you need to be good at bending and vibrato.If you cant hear the diff between a " murdering the neighbors cat" vibrato and a singing one you have work to do but fear not...once you master it you ll be sounding great even by only that.
Next get to grips with pentatonics and pentatonic sequences that ll help create lines but also help you with your technique.

Third...try to sing you lines before you play them.Doesnt matter if they are yours or Zakks or another guitarists...singing lines with your own voice helps the connection between your mind and your fingers like you wouldnt believe.

There isnt a recipe to learn soloing....its the above and way more but the above is a mighty good start .
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Sep 7, 2013,
^ agreed. pentatonics figure a lot in zakk's stuff, as do a killer vibrato (and by extension, bends- it's hard to have a good wide rock vibrato if you can't bend in tune), kind of a bluesy/almost country-ish feel (fair bit of major pentatonic in there too), and pinch harmonics (with aforementioned wide vibrato). Lots of pinch harmonics.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
pentatonics ARE Zakk's stuff. If you're a rhythm player, use your chord experience to your advantage, it's not a very big step to arpeggios and scales. Just pick them apart, see what they go with. A good lead player is a good rhythm player.
man, you have to play other people's music,

It's like if you want to learn another language you need to imitate the natives before you can produce your own ideas in that language,
Learn the major/minor scales and pent shapes, then you can improvise easily
I agree. Learn the basics such as the minor pentatonic scale. I would say that many good players learned by jamming blues and just playing of the minor pent scale and having fun. Anything more technical can come later.
The wrong way would be to just try to cop someone else's lead from a tab or something. You will never learn how to make your own lead lines that way.
Quote by Tempoe
Learn the major/minor scales and pent shapes, then you can improvise easily

This.

Learning others' music helps, but if you have already been playing for a while as you have and have a good musical ear/etc. learning technique alone and just improvising with it actually gives pretty good results, and will help you potentially develop a more unique style.
www.joshsway.com -- JoshSway.com Dating, Online Dating, Fitness, Fashion, and more...
Quote by aiversen
(a) I agree. Learn the basics such as the minor pentatonic scale. I would say that many good players learned by jamming blues and just playing of the minor pent scale and having fun. Anything more technical can come later.
(b) The wrong way would be to just try to cop someone else's lead from a tab or something. You will never learn how to make your own lead lines that way.

(a) agreed.

(b) I wouldn't necessarily say it's wrong. I mean that's what I did at the start, and I doubt I was the only one. You kind of have to have a foundation before you start making up your own stuff, and nicking other people's licks (which were probably nicked themselves, I should add) is one way to start to build up some stock licks. It also suggests ways to make up your own licks, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by aiversen
The wrong way would be to just try to cop someone else's lead from a tab or something. You will never learn how to make your own lead lines that way.

It's only wrong if you don't think about it. As long as you're cognizant of what is going on in the solo it's a perfectly valid way to do things.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ yeah

even if you're not it's better than nothing, at least at the start

"talent borrows, genius steals" and all that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah

even if you're not it's better than nothing, at least at the start

"talent borrows, genius steals" and all that.

"Copy one source and it's plagiarism. Copy many and it's research."

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
yeah exactly. if you copy (even verbatim) from enough different people you'll start to sound like you. Because it's unlikely that anyone else will have the exact same set of influences as you.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't try to be original as well- do that and it'll be even better again. But you can certainly con a lot of people into thinking you're original by just ripping off a varied group of guitar players
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?