Hey y'all

I'm a sophomore in college and I just moved in my new student appartement. It's 20 m2 and is really great. But all my other friends are in a student housing complex where there is a lot more going on. Like it's 4 big buildings full of students that pass by eachother every day, and it's easier to meet new people etc.

Exept the appartements are much smaller. it's 9 m2 and it gets pretty chlostrophobic!

I'd like to move there because it looks like more fun, but it's so god damn small and remote from the city center...

What would you do ?
Keep the awesome appartement but having to walk 20 minutes to party with others?
Or move and be closer to all that's going on but basically living in a cupboard?

Thanks!!
If you've signed a contract for halls then you may as well stay there: even if you move out you're still going to have to pay for the room in halls.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
there's like a 3 months notice if you want to leave, so I'll stay for 3 months anyway, and see if one of those smaller appartements is free
I would stay where you are. 20 minutes isn't that far to walk, and if you have a bike it will take almost no time at all. Being closer to the centre, and having a bigger flat would be priorities for me.
Stay in the bigger one. Parties are cool for a few weeks, but a lot of the time you'll want quiet to sleep and study. 20 minutes isn't that long a walk and you can crash at a mates if a party goes on for too long.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Oh and take it from someone who lived off-campus for the first term of first year: stay in halls. Being off-campus is fairly crap, you don't make friends as quickly or as readily, and you don't get a proper experience of what university is like. You'll have plenty of chances to live in nicer accommodation in your second and third year, but you only get a good chance to live in a halls once.
Halls are overpriced. If your moving into a house with new people then you're already meeting new people. If they're not first years, then they will have more friends that you can meet... something you won't have in halls. A 20 minute walk really isn't that bad.

Unless you're living on your own in this appartment which would probably suck.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by barbecuechicken
Yeah I live on my own in the appartment.
The bike idea is really good i hadn't though of that.

Don't do it then. Live in halls.

Being on your own in first year absolutely sucks, trust me, I went through it.
in my first year I was in halls and I had the time of my life it was awesome.
But I had to change cities for my 2nd year and I was too late applying for halls.
I lived with a bunch of Chinese people in my first year and we had a kitchen cold war resulting in me sabotaging their bag of rice and throwing cutlery out of the window.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
i'm late in getting accommodation. i'm going to norwich to get accommodation on monday, the best i'm looking at is hopefully living with others pretty far from UEA (the uni campus). like todd said, don't live on your own 1st year, bad idea
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Is sophomore new?

1st year is always halls. Doing otherwise is a terrible idea. Second and third year you know all the people you want and living away from campus is no problem. That said, it might be different in america.

btw 20 minutes isn't a bad walk by any means, but living with everyone is different. You don't have the same experience. It's like staying at home and going to university, yeah you'll probably get to go on loads of great nights out, but most of the fun is living with loads of people wanting to go out/ get drunk.
Manchester United
Last edited by Shabalaba at Sep 7, 2013,
Quote by laid-to-waste
i'm late in getting accommodation. i'm going to norwich to get accommodation on monday, the best i'm looking at is hopefully living with others pretty far from UEA (the uni campus). like todd said, don't live on your own 1st year, bad idea

You go to the same Uni as me, hello.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
You go to the same Uni as me, hello.

hi
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Shabalaba
1st year is always halls. Doing otherwise is a terrible idea. Second and third year you know all the people you want and living away from campus is no problem. That said, it might be different in america.
I don't get this. I started in a shared house with a bunch of others (some first years, some second years) and it was great. Living alone is terrible but I don't feel I missed out at all. As you said, America might be a different matter though.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Sep 7, 2013,
Quote by frankv
Please elaborate.

Chinese flatmates lived like pigs. They would never clean up after themselves. They often used my cutlery and playes without asking, washing them up, or putting them back in my cupboard, all the time ignoring me, which I really did not appreciate. They'd leave food out and stuff in pans to just go mouldy and stuff.

I eventually got sick of their shit and threw cutlery out of the window in a rage. And then on my last day in Halls i poured milk into their 10kg bag of rice which I hope went mouldy and wasted.

Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Sep 7, 2013,
Halls are fun. I had to live in a small room as well, but i had made a lot of good friends in my block, and we had some good parties, plus it was easy to get together to actually study. The main downside was having to share a kitchen; luckily, my hall wasn't too bad, but some of my friends kitchens were disgusting.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.