Hey,

When I started playing guitar (3-4 years ago) I bought a Harley Benton amp for $30. At the time I didn't really know that much about guitars.

Now I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm looking for a 30 watt $150-250 amp. I mainly want to play rock and metal on it. I've been thinking about a Line 6 Spider IV. Any suggestions or opinions on the Spider?
Quote by ToniHellinen
Hey,

When I started playing guitar (3-4 years ago) I bought a Harley Benton amp for $30. At the time I didn't really know that much about guitars.

Now I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm looking for a 30 watt $150-250 amp. I mainly want to play rock and metal on it. I've been thinking about a Line 6 Spider IV. Any suggestions or opinions on the Spider?

generally you'll get the advice that the Peavey Vypyr is considered better option than the spider IV.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
what gumbilicious said, but I personally think that the Orange Amp Crush Series has some of the best tone for a small practice amp that you can find...

The Roland Cube is another option.

Or the Vox Valvetronix.

The Line 6 Spider series doesn't have the best reputation.
Line 6 Spider IV.

I have it, I enjoy it. I like having a variety of capable tones on the amp. However if you want to play only metal, then a Peavey would work well for you.

Whatever you pick you can end up enjoying. A Spider IV is capable of getting the job done, so is a Peavey, so is an Orange. I'd keep looking if I were you, not because the Spider is not worth it, but you may be able to find something that you enjoy more.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Try looking into a used Randall RG series. I have a Vypyr 30 and ended up picking up a RG100SC. I play metal as well and wanted a bit more umph than the Vypyr could give at lower volumes. I'm not a big fan of the modeling amps - think they do tons of things ok put to dial in a different type of metal sound is challenging.
I'd rate the line 6 spider on par with a fender frontman with just a few added fx. If I needed an amp on a budget i'd be curious about the orange micro terror, £100 for the head and it has a valve preamp. Otherwise Vypyr, Mustang, Crush, Roland Cube, Vox Valvetronix all do an overall better sound than a Line 6.
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off