Hi,

Recently I had the idea of upgrading my old Squire California HSS strat. I was thinking of changing the neck to a Fender-made Mexican one and upgrading the pickups as well(not too sure to what yet though, I don't know much about single coil pickups).

Regrading this project i have two questions

1. Would I actually get a better tone or am I better off getting a second-hand MIM Fender strat?

2. The website says that the neck is 'for a Fender or Squier® by Fender guitar.' Would i need to do any further modifications or would the neck fit in nicely?

Any help is much appreciated and please do excuse me if i got anything wrong, I'm new to the guitar modding scene. Thanks!
what are you going to spend if you do all of the upgrades to your Squier?

Depending on your location, you can get a used MIM Strat for $275-$350
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hi Robbgnarly,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too sure but I estimate around 250-ish? Do you feel that it's worth?
you can spend $250-$300 and buy a whole used MIM Fender strat
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Buy a used one. You will retain the value if that matters. It won't have the logo (I assume) and no serial number, so it will never be worth as much as an actual MIM.

You also won't have to deal with it possibly not fitting correctly.
Quote by timothylfz
Hi,

Recently I had the idea of upgrading my old Squire California HSS strat. I was thinking of changing the neck to a Fender-made Mexican one and upgrading the pickups as well(not too sure to what yet though, I don't know much about single coil pickups).

Regrading this project i have two questions

1a. Would I actually get a better tone or

1b. am I better off getting a second-hand MIM Fender strat?

2. The website says that the neck is 'for a Fender or Squier® by Fender guitar.' Would i need to do any further modifications or would the neck fit in nicely?

Any help is much appreciated and please do excuse me if i got anything wrong, I'm new to the guitar modding scene. Thanks!

1a. Very subjective but it might improve the overall feel.

1b. Again, very subjective. If you have the ish to burn, why the heck not.

2. No mods needed. the Squier and Fender Strat neck pockets are the same. I've installed a Tokai Strat neck on a Squier '51.

Usually Squier necks are pretty comfortable. Are you thinking of modding for the heck of learning?
I just looked at strats on www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear and they have several MIM Fender Strats for $249
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the reply guys! I've gotten a much better understanding of things now. And Iipon, thats one sweet looking guitar you've got there. ;-) Unfortunately I live in Singapore, and its hard to find a MIM Strat for that price here, since we're such a small nation.
Well that does change some things.

Look for a used Squier Vintage Modern/Classic Vibe they are very good guitars for the money and I would say as good as most MIM are.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Also keep in mind that many Squier bodies are made out of plywood. So for the same money, you'll have a guitar that's considerable inferior to a MIM Strat. I haven't looked at them for a while but I assume they're still Poplar, which is a huge leap up from plywood.
Quote by nwhewitson
Also keep in mind that many Squier bodies are made out of plywood. So for the same money, you'll have a guitar that's considerable inferior to a MIM Strat. I haven't looked at them for a while but I assume they're still Poplar, which is a huge leap up from plywood.

Only some of the older ones, but they are now solid wood. for a few years the Chinese Squiers were being made of plywood, these bodys are a little thinner than the solid wood ones. The CV/VM Squiers are the good ones, unless you can find a used pro-tone series (I had a Tele protone and it was as good as most MIA's)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate