hey guys, I just purchased a Peavey TransTube Supreme (Made in USA) head last night. This is my first head. I'm just looking to play it through my stereo system to make sure it works and I didn't get ripped off.

I have two 100w RMS, 40 v RMS outputs. Next to them is a 4, 8, 16 Ohm switch
Loop and foot switch in/output
There is a GND switch next to the power cable, with there being a + at top, 0 at middle, and - at bottom.

What do the ohm switches do (in laymans terms please) and the GND switch?

I've only ever played half stacks that were already set up. Been playing for 7 or 8 years and this is my first one.

thank you! And if anyone has ever had experience with this head, please share any knowledge.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Last edited by bastards at Sep 8, 2013,
look at the back of one speaker that you have it should say the ohms. set the ohms switch to what the cab is. Plug in the speaker cable to the amp and the cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Even though it's solid state you'd be mental to try plugging it into a stereo.

Find a cab.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well yeah I know that much. I should have clarified how ohm-age works. But I'm not too worried about that anymore. I don't have the cab yet, like I said I wanted to run it through my stereo to make sure it works first. I think it's going to run through a Marshall cab, I think it's the MG cab but I haven't used it yet. Hopefully this head will beef up a bit after I pair it with a cab and crank it up
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I know what you said, and like I said, you'd be mental to run that through a stereo.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by bastards
I don't have the cab yet, like I said I wanted to run it through my stereo to make sure it works first.

You don’t understand the problem. Your stereo equipment is not designed to handle the load coming from that amp. You might damage the stereo, and you will very likely destroy the power transformer on your amp, which will cost you hundreds of dollars to replace. Do not try playing this amp through your stereo.
Quote by steven seagull
Even though it's solid state you'd be mental to try plugging it into a stereo.

Find a cab.

+1.

though i'd a say a bit foolish or naive instead. although it is possible to plug it into the stereo's speakers i still wouldn't do it.

Quote by bastards
Well yeah I know that much. I should have clarified how ohm-age works. But I'm not too worried about that anymore.

you don't want to plug that amp's 'speaker outs' into the stereo directly. the stereo is not designed for that.

you can plug speakers into the amp's 'speaker outs' directly, but usually a stereo's speakers aren't set up for 1/4" TS compatibility. so you'd most likely have to mod the speaker's cable, which isn't worth it.

there is another option though. you can use the 'preamp out' on the back of the amp to send it to the stereo. this should provide an adequate signal that won't damage the stereo. the amp appears to be solid state, so not plugging in a cabinet to the speaker outs shouldn't present a loading problem.

be careful with the volume though, keep the volume low on the stereo and don't crank it too high as those speakers aren't like guitar speakers. just use the stereo to test if it passes signal.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 8, 2013,
I didn't think to use the preamp out though. WHat I did was just take a 1/4 to 1/8th adaptor and plug into the aux port of the stereo from the regular out of the amp. The stereo is fine, and the amp is fine. It gave me enough time to get used to the controls and check the stability of the amp. It works, and it's 120 I didnt just throw down the pisser.

Don't worry you guys, Im CraigsListing some cabs right now, I just couldnt afford one after dropping another 120 on a new radiator earlier this week.

The power transformer would have been something to keep an eye on, but nothing smells funny so I think I'm good on this boat.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
well, at least you got to figure out if the amp worked. we're a bit on the doomsayer side here, if you ask this kinda question you're probably gonna get the most conservative/equipment-saving response.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I appreciate it, don't get me wrong. I probably would have continued a few more times, but my other amp is a Line 6 Jam. I think we can see my predicament here
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412