So I'm 20 years old and am almost definitely going to be putting my studies on hold for all of next year. I live in Western Australia and I'm looking to do full time live in work in either Canada/America/England in that order of preference. My sister has done this in both Canada and England and thinks it's a really good idea.
So I was wondering what The Pit's thought was on this. Have any of you guys done it before? What did you think of it? Any particular advice?

Also i know the pay is shit, I'm not doing it for the pay.
Why? Life experience and all that?
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by MetalMullet
What's live in work?

Oh right, your workplace provides free accommodation at the expense of giving you generally shitty pay and you work full time.

Quote by guitarist41
Why? Life experience and all that?

Pretty much exactly that. I've yet to move out of home and when i move out i don't intend to just leave the state or anything but instead move to the other side of the world. I've never liked the place I've grown up nor the country. It's always been my dream to live in Canada (i have citizenship because my mum is 100% Canadian) so i want to gain some experience of living outside of home and in another country in particular. My family thinks it's a very good idea.
Last edited by vayne92 at Sep 8, 2013,
Come to Canada. America's gay and England is just gross.

Plus if you run out of labour options you can always work in tobacco.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Why not just wait until you've finished studying then actually move to the country you want to live in?
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist41
Why not just wait until you've finished studying then actually move to the country you want to live in?

That will be a minimum of another 3 years. I don't want to stay here for 3 more years having not properly experienced living out of the country.
Quote by vayne92
That will be a minimum of another 3 years. I don't want to stay here for 3 more years having not properly experienced living out of the country.

OK. But just remember that most places are pretty much the same due to globalization.
Quote by neidnarb11890
I'd say that you join WWOOF. It's pretty much the same concept, but without the shitty payment. Because there's absolutely none. But you'll meet some very nice people and it's an awesome experience. I actually did it for 6 month in Australia, recently got back and it was totally worth it.