**NOTE**
I'm looking for something that would hopefully compliment my existing 2x12 cab (see below) and/or something for recording. I don't have a set budget, so feel free to make any type of suggestion that you think is best. Sound clips or examples of bands that use suggested cabs/speakers are appreciated.

My primary gear is:
Engl Fireball 100w
Vader 2x12
Custom Guitar w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts (fairly bright guitar) - Drop C
Maxon OD808
Various other pedals

I'm pretty rhythm dominant, with occasional lead riffs, so that might factor in to what I need.
For example: https://soundcloud.com/endless_terror
The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th songs are prime examples of my playing style.
This is not an attempt to Wh0re out my music, but more to make it clear what type of music I play.

I've looked into some 2x12's so far, like Splawn (not familiar with some of the speakers they use though), the EVH 5150 III Cab, Peavy, the Jim Root Orange Cab, etc.

I should mention that my Vader 2x12 is set to 8 ohms.....so I guess by default that my new cab should be 8 ohms capable as well, right? A lot of them come standard as 16 ohms.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Last edited by bdof at Sep 8, 2013,
I'm obligated to recommend the cab I use which is a Marshall 1936. Comes with G12T75s which are pretty widely used in thrash, especially the older stuff. I run an EVH 50w head through it and primarily play thrash. Construction seems solid, but I think you need to stay away from the JCM900 versions as I believe they are MDF (don't quote me on that) whereas the basic 1936 lead version I have is plywood.

Picked mine up for little over £200 which works out at about $310 probably.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Not sure about the best but I liked the T75 X V30 and V30 X K100 (nice low Mids). The Splawn cabs typically have the Emi Small Blocks and they're outstanding for hotrodded Marshall-type Thrash.

In other news, Wrestling is back in 2020 Olympics! http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ioc-set-vote-sport-2020-program-20192568
do you play more thrash or metalcore/more modern metal type stuff? g12t75s are nice for older thrash, but i'm not sure they're tight enough for the newer stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you play more thrash or metalcore/more modern metal type stuff? g12t75s are nice for older thrash, but i'm not sure they're tight enough for the newer stuff.

I'd probably describe by sound as a bit more modern than your typical thrash. I'm HUGE fan of tightness, but I certainly already have a ton of that with my Vader 2x12.
I know this is a topic about cabs, so, as long as its descent quality plywood, preferably birch, made by a reputable company, preferably in a reputable country too then the speakers are where the main flavour comes from.

G12T75s are voiced very scooped sounding, I don't like them all that much but they are a pretty metally choice and they're also comparably quiet to other speakers i've used. That's why I don't think they're great for live playing, imo they dont have the mids to cut through aswell (easily fixed with your amp though). I think these days the speaker of choice tends to be V30s so if you can get a cab with them. I've not tried the Jim Roots Cab, they have orange's own speakers in them (they normally use V30s) but im guessing they'd be pretty good for metal.

Get an 8 ohm cab with 2 16ohm speakers in, then you can always link them together to make a 16ohm 4x12.
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
Quote by bdof
I'd probably describe by sound as a bit more modern than your typical thrash. I'm HUGE fan of tightness, but I certainly already have a ton of that with my Vader 2x12.

ah I see, thanks.

What speakers are in your vader?

Are you meaning to run both cabs at the same time? In other words, do you want something to be used with your current cab which'll complement it, or do you want something to be run alone which'll give you a different type of tone for some variety?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes. I'm intending to run both cabs at the same time through one amp. Whether I mic both the same time when I record will remain to be seen

They're eminence speakers. 120w per I believe. The cab is, I think, 240w.
Last edited by bdof at Sep 8, 2013,
Get an Avatar 2x12 contemporary with the speakers of your choice, the Governor would be a good choice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^^ are they v12s?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get an Avatar 2x12 contemporary with the speakers of your choice, the Governor would be a good choice

+1

I had a Classic Lead 80 and G12H30 in my Avatar.

I can also recommend the Splawn cabs with Small Blocks. Hard to go wrong there, very well priced, high quality, customer tolex options like Avatar.
Quote by Ippon
Emi Governor is similar to the V30.

sorry i meant the ones in his vader cabinet
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?