I just finally got a decent audio interface (M-Audio MTrack) and now I'm trying to figure out how to make nice sounds with the virtual amps in Logic, and Amplitube LE.

I figure now I have creative freedom to modify the sound of the guitar at any time in DAW, and that's pretty cool, but I still want it to sound authentic, so I'd like to start by recreating the presets from my Fender Mustang 1 amp. Now, that's a digital amp, so I see no reason I can't faithfully recreate them in Logic or Amplitube LE. The settings are Metal 2000, and American 90s.

Here's basically what I'd like to match, just to start from...

Rhy and Main guitars, no post effects (There might be effects, but the amp added them and I don't know what they are, disabled all the ones in Logic though) With these, I just plugged the headphone jack of my amp into my computer's line in port.

http://picosong.com/yjaV/

New Interface Tests: Change settings multiple times throughout (Using the Logic Presets which apply multiple plugins, using the new set-up. Start with absolutely no settings so you can hear it raw. Everything sounds worse somehow. It reminds me of when I plugged my guitar directly into the line-in with a 1/4 adapter.

http://picosong.com/yjam/

Also, for some reason, it sounds like even when the gain on the interface is turned all the way down, whenever I hit the low E string too hard, it sounds too loud and actually audibly CLIPS. Whats going on there?

Heres what I do:

Plug electric guitar straight into interface, no amp
Phantom power: Off, Input switch: Guitar
Gain and all knobs turned all the way down
Most of the time, the level meter on the interface stays around -20db, in the green, but the low E (in a chord) just sounds like clipping.

In the past I only used the volume pot of my guitar for tone, and it never made much difference unless it was lower than 3, but now, do I have to adjust it accordingly to actually control the recording volume??

Thanks, I'm new to all this. Excited though, I can definitely hear an increase in clarity and volume.
i am not too sure what you are asking or wanting to know. so i will hit the two sentences with question marks after them

-the low E string is the thickest string, so it should have a longer 'throw' or 'excursion'. this might be the reason why it clips. you can use an EQ or compressor to help tame this problem, though i do find it strange it does this even at low gain settings on the preamp. i would not be happy with the interface if it did something like that.

-the volume knob on your guitar will starve the preamp of signal. you should use the preamp gain to level the guitar so it's roughly in the yellow. then you would use the DAW mixer or the M-audio's software mixer to control the volume (depending on how you are routing your signal)

edit: listening to your clips i do hear some unfavorable low end distortions. try using the EQ in your DAW at least to help clean that up.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 8, 2013,
Hey gumbilicious, thanks, and yeah, I did ramble a bit, but basically the gist of it is I'd like to match the tone in the first link, but using a virtual amp. I figure since the Mustang 1 is a digital amp itself, that shouldn't be too hard.

And I'll try the EQ in Logic, thanks. Shouldn't the EQ just be used in the mixing stage though?
Moved to the correct forum: Recordings
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Sy_B
Hey gumbilicious, thanks, and yeah, I did ramble a bit, but basically the gist of it is I'd like to match the tone in the first link, but using a virtual amp. I figure since the Mustang 1 is a digital amp itself, that shouldn't be too hard.

And I'll try the EQ in Logic, thanks. Shouldn't the EQ just be used in the mixing stage though?

EQ can be used just about anywhere between source and destination. if your guitar signal is sending too much low end to the interface then i would cut the low end before the interface, that would be the most effective way of dealing with the issue.

also, if you want to match tones to from the mustang a more pure benchmark may be using the mustang's usb interface into the computer rather than sending the headphone signal through the interface (if that makes any sense to you).

-ae
Hey, now I'm confused...I'm going Guitar > Audio Interface > Computer. There's no real amp involved, and I can't cut low end before it gets to the interface.

And when I used the Mustang 1 (which I'm not using, I just want to mimic the sound using Logic/Amplitube LE), USB vs Headphone jack didn't make too much difference in sound, besides that the USB was much quieter. But the issue here is the interface.
Lower your pickup to reduce the clipping. I had the same problem with my Focusrite.

I didn't like Amplitube. I just couldn't get anything to sound great.
I have been playing with TH2 http://overloud.com/products/th2.php demo which I like, but it's expensive to get the full product.

You can get a bunch of free VSTs. I use them with Reaper. Get the LePou plugins. http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

Also get these speaker impulses.
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2631

It took a bit to figure it out through Reaper, but I definitely like it better than Amplitube. You need to have an impulse to replicate the cab or it will sound like crap. They have to be in the same order as the real thing as well.
Last edited by D_M_I at Sep 8, 2013,
Quote by Sy_B
Hey, now I'm confused...I'm going Guitar > Audio Interface > Computer. There's no real amp involved, and I can't cut low end before it gets to the interface.

And when I used the Mustang 1 (which I'm not using, I just want to mimic the sound using Logic/Amplitube LE), USB vs Headphone jack didn't make too much difference in sound, besides that the USB was much quieter. But the issue here is the interface.

i have a bit of extra equipment around. i'd cut low end by running it through my rackmount EQ or my EQ pedal. that is my mistake automatically assuming you had stuff like this around, didn't mean to confuse you.

the usb vs. headphone jack thing can make a difference. the usb out should send the signal after the DSP bet before D->A conversion, so the signal is piped digitally. whereas the headphone signal should be after the D->A conversion and the signal should be quite a different impedance, which can effect tones. it is most likely a difference that is too subtle for your purposes though, so just go ahead and disregard the comment.

and D_M_I's advice is brilliant, lower the pickup (on the E string side) and that should solve your problem.

-ae