Hey all, soon I am turning 18, and I am considering putting money towards a new amp.

I have been considering it for a while, and by now I am pretty sure a 6505+ combo is the way to go, with a limited budget (£300-400 max).

I generally play metal, often more brutal metal (death metal, metalcore etc.) and I am pretty sure it'd suit what I want to play.

I know about cleans, and how you can improve them, and when it comes down to versatility, I think that I could use my current amp for things requiring less gain (jazz/blues, classic rock, prog rock etc., whatever I end up playing at college).

But my main concern, is that I doubt that i'll be able to test the amp out any time soon. Would it be a problem buying blind? While I know it will handle metal well, I may just not like the tone of it.

I've seen a used one for £300 with a eminence governor, which isn't a bad price.

P.S. birthday is October 3rd, so I won't have too long. However I could contact the seller and get them to postpone selling, test it out in a shop, buy if I like it.

Thanks.
darned if i know, that's the big conundrum we all face (some more than others), whether to buy the thing you suspect you'll like but can't try, or buy something you suspect you won't like just as much which you can try and at least know you don't hate

jet city is also worth a look at that budget, you can pick up the heads for £200-£250 on either thomann or jet city's UK online store. Though admittedly for the really brutal stuff, a 6505 is probably better (i've only tried the US-made heads, though).

depends on how bad the stock pickups are, really. I wouldn't worry that much about them, but sometimes once everything else is good you start to notice the pickups...

I realise that was no help at all. Sorry
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've seen the JCA's recommended a lot, but as you said, I get the feeling a 6505 would suit my playstyle more. Though I like the idea of an head and 2x12, from what i've heard the 112s are a bitch to lug around

and so basically you're saying that pups shouldn't be a worry? Cause from what i've seen, they should be last in the upgrade/GAS list. It's just a minor concern really anyway.

I should mention that in all the reviews i've seen I liked the sound, however what I worry is that it'll be good, but I won't feel it's a good enough upgrade from my current amp (as sometimes pedals are thrown in, recordings slightly mastered after recording etc. ) but I would guess this can be sorted by EQing it properly and maybe adding a pedal or two?

Cheers anyway though!
yeah the thing with a head and 2x12 is that it's not lighter than a 1x12 (it's heavier), but that you can make two trips carrying it. Also you can mix and match heads and cabs.

i'm not sure regarding the pickups. pickups are kinda weird. i'd agree that if you're rocking a practise amp that pickups should be the last thing on your mind, but at the same time, as i said above, once you have that good amp sometimes pickups can be the most important thing, you need good/suitable ones to get all of the way there, kind of thing.

i would guess it should be a pretty big upgrade from your current amp.

an od boost pedal never hurts. e.g. digitech bad monkey on the cheap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Upgrading your pick-ups would defiantly have an improving impact on your tone, but if your money is tight right now, I suggest just focusing on getting a nice amp, and worry about upgrading your pups down the road.

It's not like your going to sound like shit through a 6505 because you are using stock pups.

I mean, I can defiantly notice a difference when I switch between my guitars (some with upgraded pups, and some stock), but none of my guitars sound like crap through my amps either.

If you are looking for a cheap pickup upgrade, I suggest looking into GFS pickups. I put a set of the lil' killers in my MIJ strat, and I was just blown away at how good the sound for like $50 a set.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
People have a lot of success using a 12AU7 in V1 of a 6505/5150. It will decrease the overall amount of gain available but unless you are diming the gain already it probably won't be an issue. It will give you better cleans though. Will cost you about $10 to try it. Give it a go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^^+1. I actually use a JJ 5751 in V1 which has a higher gain factor than a 12AU7, but has a similar effect. I also run a 12AT7 in V5. Both improved my cleans immensely. The 5751 also provides a clearer, more articulate, and overall sweeter sound on the lead channel.

I still only run about 3.5-4 on the preamp gain (with a TS-9 boost) and it's got plenty of gain for the extreme metal I play.

TS -- I strongly recommend this amp. I have enjoyed mine immensely for around 3 years now. When it first arrived I was blown away by how good it sounded -- and that was with a stock Epiphone Les Paul Studio (basic humbucker pups) -- no pedals at all.

After adding quite a few pedals and tube/speaker upgrades it sounds even better now, but I've been happy with it from day 1. No reliability issues whatsoever.

I've found that different pickups just sound different, not necessarily better or worse. I like the sounds I get with both my Blackout-equipped guitar and my Les Paul with a Dimarzio D-Sonic. Two completely different sounds, but both good.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
The 6505+ 112 is an awesome amp, especially at the price you get them. It will definitely be a significant upgrade from your current amp. I think you will find that it is worth the price, whether you like the tone or not is another thing though.

I will say, of all the amps I have had, I kept my 6505+ the longest, and I still miss it sometimes. I kept it even when I was going through a new amp every two weeks, that was always my "grounding" amp, I knew I could always plug into that and be happy.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Everyone knocks the cleans... they aren't a big deal until you get in a band level setting then lack of clean volume comes out. Bedroom or low level jam it isn't such a concern unless your drummer is an animal. (throw a reverb pedal on later and it will help)

They are killer amps, get a good base tone first then worry about your pick-ups.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
For those talking about tubes, it has these it's got a tungsol in the v1 and then jj's everywhere else. To me that sounds like the tubes are already sorted.

and about the bad monkey, I plan on trading my MT-2 to cash converters soon, hopefully get the same as i'll spend on the bad monkey

A noise gate (NS-2 most likely, or an ISP possibly?) can wait for a little later.

Also i'll keep the GFS pups in mind for the future, cheers for that.

Should I get this, i'll have to break the it in though surprisingly, they haven't really been able to crank it past 1 much due to having a baby in the house

Should mention though that i'm pretty convinced now, just waiting for them to get back whether they will be happy sending via courier or not. Would you guys recommend that I get it delivered like this? (in the process breaking the posties' back )
Quote by ambler3
For those talking about tubes, it has these it's got a tungsol in the v1 and then jj's everywhere else. To me that sounds like the tubes are already sorted.

Sounds like you didn't understand what we were talking about.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The tubes we were talking about have less gain. We were talking about using those instead of the 12AX7's so that it is possible to get a cleaner tone. Those things have so much gain on tap with 12AX7's that even if you drop what is available by using lower gain tubes you can still get a buttload of distortion out of them, you just have to turn the gain knob up a bit further. That usually isn't an issue because very few people ever dime their gain knob running 12AX7's.
By experimenting with different tube types (as opposed to brand) you should be able to find the exact balance that you require.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
The tubes we were talking about have less gain. We were talking about using those instead of the 12AX7's so that it is possible to get a cleaner tone. Those things have so much gain on tap with 12AX7's that even if you drop what is available by using lower gain tubes you can still get a buttload of distortion out of them, you just have to turn the gain knob up a bit further. That usually isn't an issue because very few people ever dime their gain knob running 12AX7's.
By experimenting with different tube types (as opposed to brand) you should be able to find the exact balance that you require.

I use U's a lot, I find it gives me a lot more usability on the gain knob of many/most amps. Need to get some T's to play with as well.

Ever use DW's?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Only ever seen them in bass amps. It could be an interesting experiment. It would depend on the circuit. If they are simply cascaded gain stages it would average out to about the same as a 12AY7 but if one is a cathode follower or the two stages are configured differently in some other way................
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification