So I just bought a new guitar a few days ago and I changed the stock strings (9 gauge) to a 12 gauge, which is what I use. When I tried to tune the strings, the bridge got lifted up immediately and I would have to keep tuning up, bringing the bridge even higher. When I finally get this stable, any amount screw tightening won't even put a dent into the amount of elevation of the tremolo systen

I tried to only tune 2 strings at a time so that less tension would be pulling on the bridge so that it wouldn't float up, but once I tried to add another string to tune, the other strings would get a lower tuning and I would have to tune all of the strings up, and at this point the bridge would have hit the ceiling.

I tried adding another spring, but this does not solve the problem.

Whenever it gets below the tuning I have to tune it up several times, whereas when I tighten the screws on the back I only have to tune it down once and then it's done, and eventually when I keep tightening the screws because I want the bridge to go down, I run out of room to tighten the screws and there's nothing else I can do.

I have been doing the process of detuning the guitar, loosening the screws on the back, and trying to tune the guitar and get the bridge level several times today.

I have also tried adjusting the truss rod but I came to the conclusion that it isn't the problem

I think the core of the problem is going for 9's to 12's right out of the gate.

Any solutions or words of advice would be great
You have to block the bridge when changing the strings with a floating trem. Block it first, then adjust the springs after its tuned up. If you still cant get it, take it to a tech.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
God, I remember my floating trem guitar... what a nightmare.
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
This is the wrong forum, we just talk shit in here.

This is the forum you want:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=26
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

You'll need stronger tensioned springs.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Well I'm gonna take a guess and assume that you're probably trying to tune it to E standard. The problem with that and .12 gauge strings is that you create too much tension for the bridge on that guitar to handle, lol. Your options would be to either tune the guitar to D or C standard, which would suit those gauge strings better anyway, or put on thinner strings like 10s. Or take it to a tech, and have him deal with the problem haha
i thought you were talking about shotguns lol

but yeah trems are a nightmare

take into your Guitar Center and get it set up
Quote by yoman297
take into your Guitar Center and get it set up

Don't do this, find a qualified tech.
West Ham United
Quote by So-Cal
you either need bigger springs or just block the trem

Do you mean block it when I change the strings or just block it and leave it?
Quote by So-Cal
block it and leave it if you can live without it

I am gonna use it though. As a temporary fix I could hardtail it or whatever but if I wanted to actually get the tremolo working what would I do?
This is why I blocked off my trem. Makes life so much easier.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
tune the floating trem with a block, and remove the block after its tuned. You should be able to make better adjustments as opposed to what you were doing before....
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by Experei07
I am gonna use it though. As a temporary fix I could hardtail it or whatever but if I wanted to actually get the tremolo working what would I do?

... get bigger springs
All you need is more/stronger springs. Not really a big deal. Open the back of your guitar, take a picture, post here, advice follows.

Some of it may even be useful.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin