i have a small peavey bass amp that just started acting up. when it's on, sound comes through fine, but when the power chord (which isn't removable) gets moved around the sound cuts in an out. Is there just a loose connection that needs to be soldered?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
'Twer it me I'd just replace the entire cable. Don't **** around when it comes to mains power.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
'Twer it me I'd just replace the entire cable. Don't **** around when it comes to mains power.

is it possible to do that when the cable is attached to the amp?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Of course but it will undoubtedly require some soldering.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
is it reasonable to think that would fix the problem at hand?

also note, im not about to open up the amp and look around, i'm gonna bring it to the shop if theres work to be done, but it would be nice to know what the deal is so i dont get ripped off
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Sep 8, 2013,
If wiggling it makes it cut in and out the yes, that is the problem. Either the cable itself or the connection. I would take the opportunity to fit a cable of the length you actually want. Replacing or reterminating would be the same amount of work pretty much. If he was just to reterminate he would then have to test it and it might end up needing to replace it anyway which would mean more cost in labour, which is the expensive element.. I'd just cut to the chase and fit a new one right off the bat. Find a nice extension cable and tell him to replace the current cable with it cut to the desired length.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If wiggling it makes it cut in and out the yes, that is the problem. Either the cable itself or the connection. I would take the opportunity to fit a cable of the length you actually want. Replacing or reterminating would be the same amount of work pretty much. If he was just to reterminate he would then have to test it and it might end up needing to replace it anyway which would mean more cost in labour, which is the expensive element.. I'd just cut to the chase and fit a new one right off the bat. Find a nice extension cable and tell him to replace the current cable with it cut to the desired length.

Cath nailed it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.