So I realized I've never truly checked if my speakers are in/out of phase.

On my amp I've put Speaker cable + into + and - into -

I did the exact same thing for my other speaker into my adjacent speaker inputs.

When I listened to a phase test, this ended up being wrong by the test I used (in aural perception)

When I switched +/- cables at the back of one speaker, it sounds "correct".

The test I used can be found here:
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

So I don't get it. Why are both my speakers designated with + and - as well as the amp, yet going + to +, and - to - for both results in apparent out of phase?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 9, 2013,
sound is basically changes in air pressure, if both speakers are increasing or decreasing the air opposite to each other, you get less air pressure change at ear level because there canceling each other out,.

maybe a simpler way to explain is a sound wave works like waves of water if there in sync when they meet ( your ear ) it's a bigger wave, if there the opposite, it reduces the wave's power, meaning not as powerful change in air pressure at your ear hole. ( plus other mess)

phase issues in recording are the same and you can see it when you zoom in enough to see where the sound waves are in relation to each other. that's why small amounts of delay on one channel is a way of fixing these issues because your trying to get them to match up again.

that's my guess and happy to be corrected.

as for how you wired them up ? most studio monitors use rca or mic leads,. maybe so there's no confusion ?
Last edited by T4D at Sep 9, 2013,
Yeah I know how phase cancellation works and sounds.

And I do not use true monitors, rather passive speakers into an amp (4 leads)

I just don't get why when wiring both positive out's in positive in's on the amp (same for negative), I end up with phase cancellation.

This is if the sound samples on the website are accurate.

I want to know if the samples are wrong, or the wiring, or if ur supposed to put one speaker + into - and vice versa.

The latter (speaker + into amp's -) for just ONE speaker is what I have and what seems to work.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 9, 2013,
^ it could be the cable between whatever's going to the amp and the amp? It could be a mis-wiring in the amp or in one of the speakers. What's going into the amp?
Quote by tim_mop
^ it could be the cable between whatever's going to the amp and the amp? It could be a mis-wiring in the amp or in one of the speakers. What's going into the amp?

True, I thought about that as well, but you know, it seems so unlikely that such a basic thing is done wrong.

Anyway should I leave it as it is now? couldn't hurt right.

At least the phasing is gone.

They are a set of Bowers&Wilkins DM4.

Not really studio monitors, but they sounds so nice and I know em so well.

Amp is a surround sound system. They are connected to left and right on the back, and I made sure that no spatial settings or EQ are active on the amp.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Ah, yes, I highly doubt B+Ws will be wired wrong.

I'd imagine it'd be the cable getting from your laptop/interface to the amp, if you're sure it's nothing else?
Quote by tim_mop
Ah, yes, I highly doubt B+Ws will be wired wrong.

I'd imagine it'd be the cable getting from your laptop/interface to the amp, if you're sure it's nothing else?

I have to agree. It's got to be something to do with the amp itself or more likely the signal going into it. Are you using 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters or anything like that?
Quote by kyle62
I have to agree. It's got to be something to do with the amp itself or more likely the signal going into it. Are you using 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters or anything like that?

1/4 TR (not S) jack to rca; 1 cable for left 1 cable for right.

They go from my interface's channel 1 and 2 outputs to my amps L and R inputs from a single channel.

I also have a double rca to single stereo 3.5mm; going from another channel on the amp to my mac's headphone port directly.

Switching between direct out to amp, or first through interface result in the same sound (including same phase).

confused.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 10, 2013,