http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/syria-russia-proposal-chemical-weapons_n_3894302.html

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/09/politics/syria-kerry/index.html

Since Kerry said he wouldn't bomb Syria if they gave up control of their chemical arsenal, apparently Russia somehow convinced Syria to give up control of their chemical weapons.

So does this make Vladimir Putin the hero?
Last edited by WaterGod at Sep 9, 2013,
A bit premature.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Puppet State gets told what to do by its Masters, Story at 11:00

I don't know that it makes Putin a hero, but it's a certainty he's better at International politics than Obama...

If it's real I'd say everyone wins except the Syrian opposition and the Obama administration's international respect, neither of which were that strong to begin with.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I don't particularly feel that they're in better hands.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by DecLepard
Where will they be Putin them?

If history is any guide, Georgia.
I don't really feel like that's good enough.

Their government needs to answer for it.

Using chemical weapons on your own civilians is pretty ****ed up
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
So, lets be clear,guys. A bunch of chemical weapons that Russia, could have done anyway, it's more dangerous than the Nuclear weapons that they (Russia) already have?

Anyway, i'm more worry about how economy might go straight to hell ,if U.S Attacks Syria
"Una vez invitados a ejercer el escrutinio crítico, será demasiado tarde para volver a recurrir a la fe ciega."

Gear:
Eleven rack
Ibanez RT
Studio One 2
IK Stealth Pedal
Redwirez Impulses
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by Trowzaa
Oh so now Russia has chemical weapons. Yay.

They've got nukes and have more than enough capacity to make their own chemical weapons.

Syria no longer has chemical weapons though (allegedly)

"OH I DON'T THINK RUSSIA SHOULD'VE DONE THAT".

I don't understand your guys' thoughts on this.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by naedauuf
They've got nukes and have more than enough capacity to make their own chemical weapons.

Syria no longer has chemical weapons though (allegedly)

"OH I DON'T THINK RUSSIA SHOULD'VE DONE THAT".

I don't understand your guys' thoughts on this.

Russia already has tens of thousands of tonnes of chemical weapons; I don't feel that this makes Russia any more of a threat, I simply think it's naive to think 'Yay, look how good Russia is'.

The fact that Syria no longer has chemical weapons shouldn't at all change the way the rest of the world deals with the Syrian government. Hell, if anything it makes an argument for intervention somewhat easier to make, as soldiers now wouldn't have to fear gas attacks, a fear that mired down the Gulf war and the war in Iraq.
Quote by Todd Hart

Probably not, and it's clearly just a political maneuver, but it's a good one.

I can see where the conversation between Putin and Assad my have been:

P: Give them over to 'International' control.

A: But why?

P: Because then we'll give you some more, you can use them and we'll all blame the rebels, since of course all of yours are accounted for!

A: That's a GREAT Idea!

Charles Darwin
Quote by Todd Hart
I simply think it's naive to think 'Yay, look how good Russia is'.

I agree, but I also don't think anyone thinks Russia is suddenly good because of this.

It's like people thinking China is good because they keep NK under wraps. No one does. They're still both bad, but one keeping wraps on the other is a good thing.

The fact that I get out of this is that: Syria doesn't have chemical weapons anymore.

Any other parts about the story are pretty irrelevant. Russia is still not good in my books, but Syria doesn't have this horrible thing anymore.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by Arby911
Probably not, and it's clearly just a political maneuver, but it's a good one.

I can see where the conversation between Putin and Assad my have been:

P: Give them over to 'International' control.

A: But why?

P: Because then we'll give you some more, you can use them and we'll all blame the rebels, since of course all of yours are accounted for!

A: That's a GREAT Idea!

I somehow feel this is perfectly plausible!
Yeah, I hardly think Putin is a great chap - been supplying the rebels anyway, no doubt... He basically just put pressure on and they gave way because Russia is easier for them to deal with than the USA.
Sure, the use of the weapons is bad, but I really wouldn't condone Obama attacking. What good would it do?
Doesn't remove the weapons; doesn't stop the war; doesn't make anyone safer/their life better.
On the hand, it does make the Syrians feel cornered. It does risk open international war. It does mean soldiers may get deployed into another mess like Irag or Afghanistan...
Besides that, there is no way of deciding who the good guys are... The government used chem. weapons, but if the rebels had a supply, I'd happily put money on them to use those too... Not forgetting the rebels are purportedly in league with Al Qaeda and whatever other terrorist organisations...

Oh, and I feel sorry for Asad. He's actually an eye surgeon or something and meant to be a really nice bloke himself - he's just been unlucky enough to be the eldest son of the previous President...
Quote by AcousticMetal99

Oh, and I feel sorry for Asad. He's actually an eye surgeon or something and meant to be a really nice bloke himself - he's just been unlucky enough to be the eldest son of the previous President...

I don't.

I think this was the case at one time, but hasn't been pertinent for quite a while. He had a chance to moderate, at least to some degree, and chose tyranny instead.

F*ck him.
Charles Darwin
So essentially Russia has covered up for Syria so now nobody thinks they have chemical weapons.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Putin things right.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by Arby911
I don't.

I think this was the case at one time, but hasn't been pertinent for quite a while. He had a chance to moderate, at least to some degree, and chose tyranny instead.

F*ck him.

Have you ever considered that maybe he was forced into the job? He was taken back to Syria and forced to become President because of tradition. He's quite possibly still just acting as a figure-head, because there's nothing else he can do. He can hardly just run away, can he?

I still feel sorry for him, as well as the people who were chemically poisoned.
Obama always has this look on his face that either makes him look like a puppet, or a mascotte.
Putin always has this look about him that either makes him come over as a serious man, or just a genuine man. And if not either, it's both.

Let's face it, USA holds no diplomatic respect anymore.
bomb bomb bomb it'll make everything better
Quote by AcousticMetal99
Have you ever considered that maybe he was forced into the job? He was taken back to Syria and forced to become President because of tradition. He's quite possibly still just acting as a figure-head, because there's nothing else he can do. He can hardly just run away, can he?

I still feel sorry for him, as well as the people who were chemically poisoned.

Current intelligence from both the US and others says that Assad is very much in charge and calling the shots.
Charles Darwin
Quote by WaterGod

Since Kerry said he wouldn't bomb Syria if they gave up control of their chemical arsenal, apparently Russia somehow convinced Syria to give up control of their chemical weapons.

So does this make Vladimir Putin the hero?

Not really. Syria said they would give up the weapons. They haven't done it yet.

Of course, Syria can give those up and then just make more. There was no concession that they give up the ability or capacity to manufacture them. It's not particularly difficult for any moderately industrialized nation to make them.

So, really just an empty gesture.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Sep 9, 2013,
There's the political sleight of hand I was expecting
My God, it's full of stars!
What.

1. How is this whole process of ''giving up control of Syria's chemical weapons'' going to play out exactly. I can only imagine how smoothly this could go.

2. So, they don't have control of their chemical weapons? Some next door buddy says ''hey man lay off the sarin gas'' and he just says ''alright sorry bro'' kinda thing?
False. Russia proposed this deal and Syria and the US are both considering it. It isn't a deal yet, just negotiations.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by Cavalcade
Putin? Saving the world? Haha no. Guy's basically a Bond villain.

putin saves the world every other day and you give him this shit
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Heroic? Hardly.
He's just a clever politician who played his good position well.
He knew he could call Obama's bluff on the attacks by defending Assad, probably knowing full well that Assad was throwing empty threats around (which still managed to deter premature military action), until there came a point where he could no longer diplomatically defend Syria's innocence and called for them to give up what they had.
I convinced a cop to give me his doughnut.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Russia probably doesn't want to have to deal with this shit, so they told Syria to cut it out or they wouldn't protect them.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
The main reason Russia want the weapons is that they know Assad is going to get ****ed up, either by the rebel forces or by the west, and they're really rather not have a stockpile of chemical weapons suddenly fall into the hands of rebel forces/Syrian Jihadists. To be honest, the chances that a disorganized group of rebels will be able to appropriately secure the weapons, or even resist launching them at Israel on their own, isn't particularly high, and if chemical weapons that can be traced to Syria do get used against Israel then it'll take less than a week for Israel to steamroll and annex Syria, given the turmoil the army would be in, which ultimately means Russia loses an ally and supplier. They could also be used against Iraq or used to threaten other Gulf states, which would result in a response from the West, with ultimately the same result from a Russian perspective.
obama still pushing for bombs

elected on an anti war platform
I said this yesterday. Why in the world would Obama go to Congress if he really wanted to bomb Syria? If he had been paying any attention at all in the last 5 years he knew it wasn't going to pass. Also, Obama goes to Moscow to talk to Putin and less than a week later Russia proposes a deal to Syria?

This sounds like it's been the plan all along.