I've been wondering about this for a while, but I've never really found a solid conclusion. When doing 3 note per string runs involving 2 whole-steps, like

e  --3--5--7-----------

Is it more ergonomic to use fingers 1, 2 and 4, or 1, 3 and 4? When I'm higher up on the neck and don't mind angling my hand, it seems much more comfortable to use 124, because it's an easier stretch. However, when I try and keep my hand in "proper" position with my fingers perpendicular to the strings (especially in the middle of the neck around the 5th fret), it seems like it's an easier stretch to use 134. Is this more of a case-by-case issue, or is there one proper way that I should always practice?
I know for me personally I go 1,3,4 going up the neck but it seems when I descend I go 4,2,1.

Can't really comment if that's bad technique though..
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
I find it mostly depends on the context of what is coming up next and also what is more comfortable. Normally, I use 1, 2, 4, but every once in a while I find it easier to use 1, 3, 4.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
For me, it depends on where my hands are previously and after, if I start on 3-5-7, I go 134, but if I'm descending from 4-5-7 for instance, I stick to the 124 fingering.
i almost always use 1-3-4, it's just what i got used to. sometimes it depends on what i'm playing right before/after the stretches though.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
i think it just depends on which you prefer... i've seen instructional books (i think) advise both methods.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
1-2-4, no question about it. Every teacher i've ever studied with has said 1-2-4 for stretches. It might feel a little weird at first, but it makes everything a lot easier when you can do it with those fingers.
^ i find 1-2-4 a lot easier
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I recently asked Steve Vai about this exact thing, and he said that you should always do whichever feels most natural- because in the heat of the moment, that's what your fingers are going to do
Go for comfort dude. I personally use either 1,2,3 or 1,3,4 depending on where we're talking on the fret board (going up that is. Going down is a different story).

There's no point in being more 'ergonomic' if it means being uncomfortable doing it. That actually defeats the purpose of ergonomics if you're uncomfortable playing whatever you're playing.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
I've been wondering about this for a while, but I've never really found a solid conclusion. When doing 3 note per string runs involving 2 whole-steps, like

e  --3--5--7-----------

Is it more ergonomic to use fingers 1, 2 and 4, or 1, 3 and 4? When I'm higher up on the neck and don't mind angling my hand, it seems much more comfortable to use 124, because it's an easier stretch. However, when I try and keep my hand in "proper" position with my fingers perpendicular to the strings (especially in the middle of the neck around the 5th fret), it seems like it's an easier stretch to use 134. Is this more of a case-by-case issue, or is there one proper way that I should always practice?

Weird. I think this is an obvious 1-2-4, no?
www.joshsway.com -- JoshSway.com Dating, Online Dating, Fitness, Fashion, and more...
Since you ask whats more ergonomic and easy on your fingers its the 1-2-4.Whatever involves stretching the 3 and 4 that dont have the greatest seperation by default anyways, shouldnt be the first choice...With that said though players use every combination with great success.Even the 1-2-3 leaving the 4 almost always out of the equation for players like malmsteen or andy james.Some have long and hulking fingers some average or small...all those things ll play part on your decision....i would personally go for the comfort of the 1-2-4 but you can use any combo if it feels relaxed to you .
It depends i guess. For me it's 1-3-4.
For some people it may even be 1-2-3 :p
Last edited by odensson95 at Sep 14, 2013,
For almost every situation, 124 is better. Simply put, most people have more reach and power between their 1st and 2nd fingers than between their 3rd and 4th.

If you have large enough hands so reach isn't an issue then it can be nice to work on doing both.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i think it just depends on which you prefer... i've seen instructional books (i think) advise both methods.

I've never seen a book advise 134. Guthrie points out that if you have really big hands it's handy but that's different from recommending it.

Quote by Facecut
Judging by the habit of high level players it doesn't matter.

Really? Can you point out anyone other than Paul Gilbert who regularly plays 134 for double whole-steps?

You can definitely be an excellent player with both methods, but the way that works best for most people is 124.
Advanced Guitar Theory and Technique Applied to the Metal and Shred Genres by L Herman suggests it. Now, whether the book is actually any good is another thing (I didn't buy it if that tells you anything ) You can see the bit I'm talking about on page 26 (I got it using amazon's "look inside" feature as I'm a cheapo )

I have to admit I was a little surprised when I saw it, too, as most books I've seen said what you said, 1-2-4 (and I find 1-2-4 easier too).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i've been on a bit of a book binge recently so that's how i came across it. Amazon's "look inside" thing is pretty handy
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Freepower

Really? Can you point out anyone other than Paul Gilbert who regularly plays 134 for double whole-steps?

You can definitely be an excellent player with both methods, but the way that works best for most people is 124.

Per Nilsson, Robert Marcelloor Andy James(123) Dr Viossy come to mind but there are many. It's 124 for me too when I have the choice but I have seen so much 134 with decent play that I no longer claim that it's better.
Last edited by Facecut at Sep 15, 2013,
Quote by Facecut
I have seen so much 134 with decent play that I no longer claim that it's better.

Biomechanically 1-2-4 is better. The 2-4 combination will always be stronger than the 3-4 combination because 2 and 4 do not share a tendon where 3 and 4 do.

That's not to say you can't practice enough that it doesn't matter that much but the fact remains that the biomechanics of the human body mean that 1-2-4 should be favoured.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Biomechanically 1-2-4 is better. The 2-4 combination will always be stronger than the 3-4 combination because 2 and 4 do not share a tendon where 3 and 4 do.

That's not to say you can't practice enough that it doesn't matter that much but the fact remains that the biomechanics of the human body mean that 1-2-4 should be favoured.

Yes I agree. I still don't think it matters in the end anymore.
Last edited by Facecut at Sep 15, 2013,
I think it matters. It's hardly the biggest deal ever but it can be a small step in the right direction!

Andy James

Andy's doing a whole different thing, he basically has decided to use 123 as much as possible so that fingering is always the same. He never has to go "wait which fingers do I use?"... because it's pretty much always 123. That's how he explained it anyway. It's not like he can't use his pinky when he wants to!
I pretty much use 123 when I have the option. Just I don't have massive hands so I use 4 when it's handier than doing a silly stretch. Also, while I can use my little finger, I'm more confident with the other fingers.

Mainly I could best describe my playing style as "lazy". Whichever way I find easier, I do
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
1-2-4 is more natural for me. If I can, I try to go 1-2-3 (for some odd reason).
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Facecut
What kind of explanation is that? He is very humble about his brainpower.

That's what he said, he's a humble dude in general. ^^

It does mean he can almost always do 3rd finger rock vibrato ending a phrase, which is pretty nice.
Quote by Freepower

That's what he said, he's a humble dude in general. ^^

It does mean he can almost always do 3rd finger rock vibrato ending a phrase, which is pretty nice.

Now that's a reason I can relate to
same here

I'm not fussed on his vibrato, though (on what little i've heard of him)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just practice both, the go and use whatever fits any given situation better.
GG
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
I use 1-2-3 like a baus!

Not really...

I could definitely see a situation where 1-3-4 would be easier to do, but I never do it.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."