Why learn guitar chords? I found this article giving some decent reasons, but does that make sense that chords could be the basis of all the songs i hear everyday? wouldnt it be easier to represent them with single notes instead of making a chord for everything? And is there a better alternative to bar chords?

[forbidden link]
Last edited by aaronon at Sep 9, 2013,
No to all. Trying to represent chords with a single note is like trying to represent any phrase or lick with one note. Due to gain issues, metal tends to just use power chords, but make up for it by implying the chord changes with arpeggios and such.

Each chord gives a different sound. You can take an E Major chord which sounds happy and switch it to E minor and make it sad, stuff like that, and this is a REEEALLY basic explanation. You can't do that with one note.

It's like, imagine trying to replace all your words with just one letter. Best way I can explain it to a newbie
Quote by aaronon
Why learn guitar chords? I found this article giving some decent reasons, but does that make sense that chords could be the basis of all the songs i hear everyday? wouldnt it be easier to represent them with single notes instead of making a chord for everything? And is there a better alternative to bar chords?

[forbidden link]

Chords aren't as complicated as they seem. Once you know what chords make up any given key, then you can figure them out yourself.

G major is always G, B, and D. There's a limited amount of chords so there isn't a chord for "everything". You use the same selection of chords and alter them as needed. So from that G Major chord you can alter it to make a huge variety of chords.

Chords are going to be hard. It just takes work. I avoided barre chords for years but now I'm in Jazz guitar and it's biting me in the ass. Could have done this years ago when it wasn't for a grade.

Chords also never change. If you know what makes up that G major chord, then it applies to everything. Guitar, piano, mandolin, whatever. Just put G, B, and D together. That's a very simplified explanation but hopefully you get it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 9, 2013,
Sure you can play songs without chords using only single notes. It's called being a bassist.
Is TS really trying to debate the practicality and function of chords. Am i really seeing a thread like this? Is this real?

I'm not really going to answer your question though TS and just say stop being a pussy and learn chords. Just because you can't play chords doesn't mean they're not necessary to learn. Man up and start practicing your chords because they're an essential skill to have for any guitarist.
Not a great idea not a great idea not a great idea not a great idea.
This is not a candidate for the greatest thing I've read/heard...

Many things, such as single notes, are also what makes up popular music, and it could perhaps be argued that silence is better?
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Last edited by Shor at Sep 10, 2013,
You should learn chords because they're really useful - almost every song is made up of chords.

We don't just break them down to single notes because there are some simple patterns that just keep repeating - so we have a way of describing what notes are used simply and quickly.
Well have you ever heard of a song with only melody and no harmony? you havent and even if you had it would be so poor like basically playing happy birthday on the flute.Unless you want the songs sounding like ringtones of the past you need simultaneous pitches to form chords .

Ps: Of course i know you are not really wondering...you are just too lazy to learn them .
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Sep 10, 2013,
yes melody needs harmony and if there's a melody without harmony it'd be that much better with some harmonic wallpaper. So of course chords are important dude, when you're jamming you cant just be playing solos all the time lol it'd be very annoying to everyone involved you need to learn how to comp for other musicians you play with.

Some of the top players of our chosen instrument examples being people like andy timmons,Guthrie govan, Frank gambale who play like mad men with what seems like endless creativity in their melodic playing know their chords so what do you think .
I am curious if u know a major chord is made of at least 3 notes?
This counts for all music , not just guitar .
Concert pianists generally dont play one note at a time that im aware of , although it would be funny trying to see 6 pianists play the chopsticks as a unison
I am assuming u know major chords are made up of a triad , and all triads played are generraly in a scale ( unless u break the rules like ur meant to)
So to play a rock song without chords is ok , as long as u have at least 3 players playing chords as single notes
Quote by greg73
I am curious if u know a major chord is made of at least 3 notes?
This counts for all music , not just guitar .
Concert pianists generally dont play one note at a time that im aware of , although it would be funny trying to see 6 pianists play the chopsticks as a unison
I am assuming u know major chords are made up of a triad , and all triads played are generraly in a scale ( unless u break the rules like ur meant to)
So to play a rock song without chords is ok , as long as u have at least 3 players playing chords as single notes

You still don't need triads. A lot of rock is made almost entirely of dyads.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i'm assuming this is just some kind of spam so i'm closing it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com