Page 1 of 3
So they just put a roundabout at the end of a highway in my town. There are canals blocking the rural, outside areas (me) with the city. So what that means is I HAVE to cross this roundabout to get anywhere. I thought this would be confusing or something, but once they finished it (last week or so) I rolled up to it and immediately learned how to use it. It's super simple, I learned how to use it in seconds of seeing it. It's at the end of a highway, at a 3 way intersection. In my opinion it is WAY better than the lights that were there. It's a lot quicker.

I like it. It's easy.

That being said, why is it so hard for EVERYONE else to use it? Seriously I thought my town had some ****ing stupid drivers before, but god damn if a roundabout doesn't show their true stupidity. People stop in the middle of it to let me in? People going in and around at 10 km an hour? It's a 2 lane roundabout and I've seen people STUCK in it. The **** is wrong with people?

Is it just me? Do I find them easy, but in reality they're difficult? I'd like to ask anyone from North America specifically, because they aren't really standard here, how hard do you find driving in a roundabout? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

God damn people are idiots when you throw one of these things at them.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

I've never seen anyone drive slowly in a roundabout. If anything, accidents happen because people treat them like drift circuits. That said, my experience is entirely European, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that America just can't motor properly.
What the ****, are roundabouts that uncommon over there?

I mean, there's like 12 of them in the small city I live in. And by small city I mean like 20-25 thousand people.

EDIT: I'm from Norway, and roundabouts are really the easiest shit to drive through.
Last edited by Oyface at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by Oyface
What the ****, are roundabouts that uncommon over there?

I mean, there's like 12 of them in the small city I live in. And by small city I mean like 20-25 thousand people.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there are about 30 or so in all of Ontario.
EDIT: I'm from Norway, and roundabouts are really the easiest shit to drive through.

I agree. So much better than traffic lights. I love it. Everyone I know hates it.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Just because you can drive round it, it doesn't mean that you know how to properly deal with them. There's all the indicating/signalling stuff that they probably don't teach you over there and the actually driving path, plus if you get complex roundabouts with certain lanes etc then you'll be ****ed.

That's why people in the US struggle and moan about them.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I've seen like 2 in my entire life.

And I've never driven on one.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Sep 9, 2013,
Never seen one, hope that stays the same way for the rest of my life
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by digman50
Just because you can drive round it, it doesn't mean that you know how to properly deal with them. There's all the indicating/signalling stuff that they probably don't teach you over there and the actually driving path, plus if you get complex roundabouts with certain lanes etc then you'll be ****ed.

Most of that is propably because there are no corners in the USA.
we call them circles in NJ and they're awful here.

Somerville circle is the worst. constant accidents. so many blind spots combined with bad drivers.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by angusfan16
Never seen one, hope that stays the same way for the rest of my life

This.
Quote by digman50

Dude, look at this. It's not even a huge complicated one.

Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by K'Nuckles
Does (pretty much) everyone drive an automatic in Canada?

Yea mostly.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

But they're the easiest thing ever, like, really.

I mean, all you have to do is get in the right lane, and know to yield for anyone already in it that you'd get in the way for.

I don't see the problem at all. I don't even have a license yet, and I know they're simple as ****.
I know the exact roundabout you're talking about. It was so unneeded though, the lights worked just fine.
Quote by stepco12345
I know the exact roundabout you're talking about. It was so unneeded though, the lights worked just fine.

Everyone says that, but there hasn't been 1 single traffic jam there since they put it in. I have never waited more than like 5 seconds to get into the roundabout and off the my destination.

With lights around rush hour there'd be a huge line of cars down the 406, and it'd just be a big long wait. Lights would've continued working, sure, but this is so much faster.

Have you driven through this roundabout? (I have no idea where you are )
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by naedauuf
Everyone says that, but there hasn't been 1 single traffic jam there since they put it in. I have never waited more than like 5 seconds to get into the roundabout and off the my destination.

With lights around rush hour there'd be a huge line of cars down the 406, and it'd just be a big long wait. Lights would've continued working, sure, but this is so much faster.

Have you driven through this roundabout? (I have no idea where you are )

Eh. I guess I'll give it time.

Also, from The Falls, m8.
Small roundabouts are fine but they can be too big.

Sheriffhall roundabout outside Edinburgh has 6 roads going into it, 3 lanes on it plus several sets of traffic lights as well.

It is the most confusing, frustrating piece of driving I've ever done. Also there are regularly huge tailbacks as it is too busy, (in fact everyday in the morning andevening when people are going to and from work)
we have them at Clearwater Beach.. they are the worst thing in the history of EVER!
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Roundabouts are piss easy. Priority to the right and keep to your lane.

If you struggle with that, you really shouldn't be behidn the wheel of a car.
I don't like them but they are easy. I don't understand why everyone turns into a retard when they get to one.
Last edited by Thrill-house at Sep 9, 2013,
Though not any complex ones everywhere I've lived there have always been loads of them. I don't know how people can't figure them out on themselves. Though there are tons of shit drivers around here. In my immediate here most of the people on the road are coming from the city. Go figure I guess. All of the younger drivers are actually the good ones. And then you have all the ******ed middle age ones driving for decades yet definitely need their licenses taken away.
Quote by stepco12345
Eh. I guess I'll give it time.

Also, from The Falls, m8.

Ah, you'll probably never have to deal with it unless you're going into shithole Welland, then. If you're even over this way, I'd give it a try. If not just to say you did

Quote by Wormholes
Though not any complex ones everywhere I've lived there have always been loads of them. I don't know how people can't figure them out on themselves. Though there are tons of shit drivers around here. In my immediate here most of the people on the road are coming from the city. Go figure I guess. All of the younger drivers are actually the good ones. And then you have all the ******ed middle age ones driving for decades yet definitely need their licenses taken away.

Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I think there should be a mandatory road test every x amount of years for everyone (maybe 5 years?). Too many old ****s who got their licenses 30 years ago who don't know dick about driving properly.

Younger people ARE better at driving, because they've been studying it and the laws for a few years, where as old people haven't.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by Mephaphil
Give way to the right. It's ****ing easy.

Don't try that in the US.

Roundabouts are easy.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Roundabouts are a great option for keeping traffic moving, especially when it's a few lanes or more, but yeah I've never seen people use them effectively in America. They just have serious problems with changing lanes and yielding.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
Roundabouts are a great option for keeping traffic moving, especially when it's a few lanes or more, but yeah I've never seen people use them effectively in America. They just have serious problems with changing lanes and yielding.

Most people here even get confused at a 4 way stop.
Quote by Thrill-house
Most people here even get confused at a 4 way stop.

Yeah forreal.

I also see people using there turn signals when there are no other cars remotely in sight. Who are they talking to?? Me on my porch??
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
Yeah forreal.

I also see people using there turn signals when there are no other cars remotely in sight. Who are they talking to?? Me on my porch??

In the past I have worked a lot of delivery jobs and got in the habit of only using them when there was actually someone to signal to. Until I kept getting pulled over for not using them.
Quote by Thrill-house
In the past I have worked a lot of delivery jobs and got in the habit of only using them when there was actually someone to signal to. Until I kept getting pulled over for not using them.

Oh, lonely lonely cops... Was it a problem with your job if you got a ticket? My friends that deliver always have to make a huge fuss about hiding their tickets from their employers
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
Oh, lonely lonely cops... Was it a problem with your job if you got a ticket? My friends that deliver always have to make a huge fuss about hiding their tickets from their employers

Well, I never got a ticket. All the cops out here are really nice, and they usually laughed when I told them why I didn't signal (there was nobody to signal to..) and gave me a warning. I don't think my boss would have cared as long as I still had a license, and it was never an issue at other jobs. Hard to say though, she was a real bitch, she fired me when she found someone to do my job for $0.25 less per hour.
Roundabouts never struck me as tough to understand.

There was a terrifying one in Bucharest that was like 5 lanes and cut through the middle and made no sense. I was so glad that I was taking a cab to the airport.
Quote by Thrill-house
Well, I never got a ticket. All the cops out here are really nice, and they usually laughed when I told them why I didn't signal (there was nobody to signal to..) and gave me a warning. I don't think my boss would have cared as long as I still had a license, and it was never an issue at other jobs. Hard to say though, she was a real bitch, she fired me when she found someone to do my job for $0.25 less per hour.

Damn. They don't save any money with that in the long run, especially if the person who took your job was even slightly worse. Which they will be when they first start, if not continually.

My friends that deliver all have dick bosses/coworkers so they are pretty frantic about it. They also smoke hella weed while they drive though so that might not help
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Page 1 of 3