I'm planning on getting a small practice amp of maybe 10W/20W <$150. I don't care about the wattage. What I care about is the tone.

About tonal taste, I absolutely love the Slash tone. I also love playing Hendrix. B.B King blues tone is also in my taste. As for clean sounds, I'd like the amp to be clean on low volumes with Eric Clapton-like tone and break up a little on higher volumes.

I will be plugging an Epiphone Les Paul Classic.

I'm checking out reviews of Marshall MG10F, Vox Pathfinder 10, Orange Crush, Fender Mustang 20W. What do you tonal experts recommend?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro (Alpine White)
J&D Strat-copy electric (Black)
Digitech RP90 modelling guitar processor
I used to have a shit amp and a moderately good guitar (Epiphone Les Paul is good, right?). Now I'm out of town. I need to get a small amp to avert boredom. But this time, I wanna do it right. I wanna get a awesome sounding but low-cost practice amp.
the mustang is probably worth a look.

the pathfinder is nice for a vox tone on a budget but not much else

a vox valvetronix is probably worth a look, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by techroach
I used to have a shit amp and a moderately good guitar (Epiphone Les Paul is good, right?). Now I'm out of town. I need to get a small amp to avert boredom. But this time, I wanna do it right. I wanna get a awesome sounding but low-cost practice amp.

And I want a winning lottery ticket...

"Awesome sounding" and "Low Cost" are somewhat mutually exclusive, but for what you've given as specifications I'd look into a used Fender Mustang III.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
As far as practice goes I would recommend a roland cube. I may be baised in that but you can get some good tones out of it. Look up some samples on youtube to get a good listen for yourself.

Its just all the amps your looking at i've had a bad experience with frankly. It doesn't hurt to try these amps out at a store they're fairly common to find frankly.
Last edited by itsonlyauser at Sep 9, 2013,
+1
To the Fender Mustang, but the mustang II used will be about $150ish, the III will be over budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I sold my Mustang III for $150. They're out there for that price. The III is versatile and sounds pretty good. I wasn't using mine much so I gave it up.
Last edited by Vikingx at Sep 9, 2013,
Check out a Vox VT. If you go used, you can get a larger VT for $150
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Robbgnarly
+1
To the Fender Mustang, but the mustang II used will be about $150ish, the III will be over budget

There are 5 III's on the GC website right now for $150 or less...
Charles Darwin
I'd say Roland Micro Cube for sure! It has a really sweet tone. 2w is more than enough for home, actually I use it at less than 1/4 volume. Just watch out, the simple Cube or Cubex series are much worse (my friend had one, and he admitted mine is better), so go for a Roland MICRO Cube
^ Plus one for the Micro Cube. It sounds very good for the price, its lightweight, and practically indestructible. As was stated above, two watts is plenty for the purpose of bedroom practicing and the 1/8" aux and headphone jacks are mighty handy.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Quote by Arby911
There are 5 III's on the GC website right now for $150 or less...

Win
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Mustang is a bit more expensive than the Marshall MG10CF and Orange Crush. Yet, if its simply a better one, I'd go for it.

But, just curious. I heard some reviewers play Marshall MG10CF and it sounded awesome! But why hasn't anyone commented about it? Does it have any problems?
My recomendation is a Fender Champion 600
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Fender-Champion-600-5-watt-Guitar-Amp-/78651728

It appears to be discontinued, but its the best 5 watt tube practice amp.. IMHO. I have had mine for years.

I have had amps come and go, but this one has always stayed.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by techroach
The Mustang is a bit more expensive than the Marshall MG10CF and Orange Crush. Yet, if its simply a better one, I'd go for it.

But, just curious. I heard some reviewers play Marshall MG10CF and it sounded awesome! But why hasn't anyone commented about it? Does it have any problems?

The MG line is not very good at all. The Fender Mustang II is more versatile and better sounding.

You will find very little love on these forums for the Marshall MG or Line 6 Spider amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
GC in Virginia Beach has a Super Champ XD for $150. That would be my choice.

Guitar Center Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23462
757-557-0210
Contact Store
Now Only
$149.99
Quote by techroach

But, just curious. I heard some reviewers play Marshall MG10CF and it sounded awesome!

do you have a link to that?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you have a link to that?

Masochist!
Charles Darwin
Quote by fly135

757-557-0210
Contact Store
Now Only
$149.99

Yeah,

Super Champ XD would be my pick too. Cool amp for sure.
Quote by fly135

757-557-0210
Contact Store
Now Only
$149.99

Winner
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
get yourself a small tuber. the entry level ones should be coming in around 150.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
^

but yeah good spot on the superchamp, fly135. that'd be a very nice option. +1

Quote by Arby911
Masochist!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?