Hello,

I'm practing the second solo of Comfortably Numb and I'm wondering how to practice it.

Precisely, it's about "timing". How to be exactly with him ?
Should I practice it with a backing track and try to "feel it" or try to practice it with a tab and a metronome ... ?

I can play the whole solo, but it's really hard to be exactly with him or to be correctly in timing with the backing track.

I'm sorry it's hard to explain my problem, I'm french and I don't know how to describe correctly my problem.

Thank you in advance,

Syndromed

PS : I have a record of me playing this solo with a backing track, I can upload it if you want
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
a lot of those bluesier solos are more about feel than exact timing. That's not to say of course that you should bin your metronome or anything like that, but a lot of the time you'll see in guitar music/tabs "all timing/rhythm is approximate" or somethign along those lines, because it's actually hard to accurately write it out.

Personally I'd just listen to the solo a bunch until you really know it, and then try to copy it. If there are long rests, then counting might help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
can you sing the solo? As in can you vocalize it note for note from memory? If you can't do that then you're not going to be able to play it from memory either.

Also playing it with a backing track is vital, because a massive part of a solo is how it interacts with the backing - you can't know if you're hitting notes at the right time without the backing to follow.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I practiced it so many times this solo, I know it by heart but I don't know if I'm able to sing/vocalize it correctly from memory.

I'll try to sing it from memory, and try to "feel" it ... listen to it a lot until I know it to be able to sing it.

But ... do you have any other advice about how to hit the notes at the right time with the backing track ... ?

Sorry if my questions are stupid ...

Thank you very much for you help anyway !!

Have a good day,

Syndromed
yeah being able to sing it is a good call (or even sing it in your head, if you can't visualise the solo, as mark says, you can't expect to remember it with a guitar in your hands).

break it down bar by bar (or lick by lick, or even in smaller parts if that makes it easier), as well. don't listen to the whole thing and expect to remember it. once you have the first bar memorised, then move onto the next, etc. etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah being able to sing it is a good call (or even sing it in your head, if you can't visualise the solo, as mark says, you can't expect to remember it with a guitar in your hands).

break it down bar by bar (or lick by lick, or even in smaller parts if that makes it easier), as well. don't listen to the whole thing and expect to remember it. once you have the first bar memorised, then move onto the next, etc. etc. etc.

Ok I see and I'm going to do that.

Thank you a lot for your help guys, bye
Im not great at learning solos, but with slow ones like comfortably numb it can really help to play along with youtube covers, that way you get an audio and a visual track to learn by
Final Stand of the Rock People
Quote by Syndromed
I practiced it so many times this solo, I know it by heart but I don't know if I'm able to sing/vocalize it correctly from memory.

I'll try to sing it from memory, and try to "feel" it ... listen to it a lot until I know it to be able to sing it.

But ... do you have any other advice about how to hit the notes at the right time with the backing track ... ?

Sorry if my questions are stupid ...

Thank you very much for you help anyway !!

Have a good day,

Syndromed

Also the Comfortably Numb solo has a very natural flow to it, the spaces in it correspond quite nicely with breath pauses if you try and sing it. That being the case, if you get used to singing it you can use that same breath pattern to help pace the solo when you play it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I started to practice it, slowly, part by part ... and everytime I try to sing it without playing it with my guitar.
It's amazing ... it helped me a lot ...

That's true, the spaces in correspond quite nicely with breath pauses. And I think that the drums help a lot to be able to play this solo correctly in timing.

Thank you very much !!
try to listen to it until you have it internalized, that's what i do when i'm trying to learn a song.
Quote by johnyere
try to listen to it until you have it internalized, that's what i do when i'm trying to learn a song.

That's what I'm doing !

Thank you !