Hey UGC!
I've got a bit of an issue, not really one that's affecting my gear (as far as sound and playability is concerned). I've talked to one guitar tech who works across the street, and he jumped on me about this particular issue. Anyway, to the point. I would like to sand my axe's cracked, chipped, and oxidized clear coat finish off, and reseal her. Since it isn't doing anything to the paint, or to the physical properties of the guitar, I can't think it will affect the value... Not that I'm looking to sell it, any time soon, or whatsoever, for that matter. I love her aged looks, the yellowing of the binding as if its been setting in the sun for years, or in someones, choked out, smoke room. But I do want the clear coat to look descent. Any suggestions on whether or not I should go through with this, and what I should use to seal it, again?
Ok, totally misread your post before. Hope you didn't read it (LOL).

Look for a nitrocellulose lacquer. Spray on preferably (2 coats).

EDIT: Also, about value, it shouldn't deter the value depending on how good of a job you do. Just be VERY careful with the sanding. If you go through the paint, your guitar will be worth a lot less. I would actually recommend re-painting completely if you make too many blemishes for your own liking.

As far as whether to do it? I would say go for it if that's what you want to do. Modding guitars is a great learning experience and can be very rewarding. Just take your time and do a good job

EDIT 2: Look up some videos or guides on sanding. It's easily the hardest part of any paint job on a guitar, especially if you're trying to preserve the original paint job.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by mjones1992
Ok, totally misread your post before. Hope you didn't read it (LOL).

Look for a nitrocellulose lacquer. Spray on preferably (2 coats).

EDIT: Also, about value, it shouldn't deter the value depending on how good of a job you do. Just be VERY careful with the sanding. If you go through the paint, your guitar will be worth a lot less. I would actually recommend re-painting completely if you make too many blemishes for your own liking.

As far as whether to do it? I would say go for it if that's what you want to do. Modding guitars is a great learning experience and can be very rewarding. Just take your time and do a good job

EDIT 2: Look up some videos or guides on sanding. It's easily the hardest part of any paint job on a guitar, especially if you're trying to preserve the original paint job.

It's kewl, broski, I was actually surfing youtube for vids on refinishing/resealing. I wasn't going to be too liberal with the sandpaper. I took shop for 4 years in school, and have a small history of cleaning off the clear coat and resealing. But that was on furniture. I was just ganna get some 200-500 sand paper to start it off and when i can feel that it's taken away switch to an 800 or above to finish the job with some wet sanding then reseal it. The thing with it, though is the hardware is in desperate need of upgrading. And I lack the finances. I was going to stomp out 2 issues in one go-around, so I won't be doing it soon, (I don't think). But it IS something I want to seriously contemplate. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll write it down in my list of things for the guitar. As of now most of it is. Another question. My guitar has binding, around the body, front and back. And up the neck and on the headstock. Ive seen some people just throw some paint on and take a razor and just scrape it off the binding, but it's multi-layer. It's got a small black line in the middle of the binding. What would I be looking at, with that? Its also got some JB Weld on the back, a previous owner must have banged it and did considerable damage. They're not huge, but they're still present. Would I be okay to cover them up, or should I think about taking them away, completely?
I can say from experience that this will definitely change the sound of the guitar.

You didn't say what your guitar is but as a general rule refinishing a guitar will destroy its value.
Quote by Invader Jim
I can say from experience that this will definitely change the sound of the guitar.

You didn't say what your guitar is but as a general rule refinishing a guitar will destroy its value.

I've done my research and asked professionals, so long as I don't take a large portion of paint off, the sound shouldn't suffer much. I'll just have to call on all my experience with this process and make sure I don't botch the task. The guitar, in question, is a 70's Conrad Les Paul. On the topic of sound. The finish is the last thing that would do anything to this guitar. There are so many botched 'DIYs' and 'self fixes' that I'm surprised I get any sound out of it, whatsoever. I will ask a professionals opinion on it, I plan to take it to guitar center to have some issues corrected that were supposed to be addressed before. I took it in to repair the headstock and get a tune up, for the guitar, and they did not do everything as promised. I know it sounds like I'm nit picking, but this guitar has been abused, so bad. As I said in my earlier post, its got a significant amount of JB Weld on the back, which I have no idea what's underneath. Plus it's got a crack behind the left post for the bridge which goes down into the guitar. Plus the pickup wires aren't soldered, they're wrapped in extremely old electrical tape and are gunked with something brown that appears to have been a dye, polish, or stain, at one point. That should give you an idea on how rough this guitar is. But she's resilient and sounds phenomenal. Sorry about the length of the reply. I'm working on getting some photo's of her up. So everyone can see her. Oh, and as far as value, I'm not really worried, as I am not planning on selling it. And again, the refinish doesn't extend to the paint. Just the varnish or clear coat.
Last edited by NexAtrum at Sep 9, 2013,
Those old no-name Japanese guitars aren't worth much anyway, which is just as well since resale is a non-issue. But if you love the sound then I'd avoid even a spot refinish, whether it goes to the paint or not. Whatever, though, it's not my guitar. As far as taking it to a professional, I've heard enough stories about Guitar Center to make me never want to set foot in one...
Quote by Invader Jim
Those old no-name Japanese guitars aren't worth much anyway, which is just as well since resale is a non-issue. But if you love the sound then I'd avoid even a spot refinish, whether it goes to the paint or not. Whatever, though, it's not my guitar. As far as taking it to a professional, I've heard enough stories about Guitar Center to make me never want to set foot in one...

Eh, there have been the 'has beens' and 'shiny tin cans', but the Conrads actually have a pretty respectable history. It's 50/50, on getting it redone. I wouldn't take it in to guitar center, one reason being they can't do full body mods, here. They send you to one of their licensed techs. I've seen what comes out of that place, not pretty. But I know of a couple licensed Gibson repair shops, and modification shops. The final word on refinishing, resealing presents the least possible chance for anything to go wrong. I've been advised by 2 guitar shops that a reseal would be more advised than a full refinish. It's more about keeping problems from happening, than my desire to give it a face lift. I've been trying to get some photo's of it but I only have my phone for a camera, so it's tough to try and get a good photo.