Page 1 of 2
So, some crazy parent wrote this review for a posh restaurant in London and the internet is in outrage because it is equally funny how much of a dick she is and also really sad.

The restaurant confirmed the review is real, so it's not just some stupid publicity scam. That poor, drunk kid.

Link: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/sep/07/restaurant-dairy-london#comments

The comment, for the lazy clicker:

Quote by AngeliquieMurphy

The butter is amazing, I will say that.

If fact, all of the food is really really good. But I didn't have a good experience.

I went there with a two of my girlfriends and took my child along. I heard it was pretty relaxed place and didn't anticipate it being a problem. Turns out I was wrong.

Firstly, for obvious reasons I don't like going to south London, but I thought that this would be worth the trip down from Camden. We got there are although it wasnt busy, immediately got a kind of bemused uncomfortable look when they saw that we had a child with us. After rummaging around and making a show out of being put out, they eventually found a high chair for my son.

The food is really good, I must admit. Fresh and innovative, and the cocktails we started with were great. The wine list is also excellent and as we were celebrating we had quite a few bottles of wine between three of of us. But once again, I was disappointed to see that their reluctance to accommodate my son. I ordered a vegetable dish for him and asked for it to be pureed, which they refused to do. I had to smash it up myself with a fork.

As the place got busier it became quite fun and lively, exchanging banter with fellow diners etc. But the busier it got the more the staff seemed to get annoyed with my child being there. Making an obvious fuss about navigating the high chair etc, and refusing to keep an eye on him for only two minutes while we went outside for a cigarette between courses.

All in all we were having a good time until we had finished our dessert. We thought it would be fun to have a large brandy to round the meal off, which they all but refused to serve us. Practically had to insist and in the end the manageress went to get three brandies. My son was getting agitated, crying etc, he does this when he is hungry, so I began to breastfeed him. The manageress came back with our brandies and just looked at me, disgusted. I was furious, how could another woman try to make me feel ashamed about doing something natural? This basically turned into a stand-up argument between me and this woman who is obviously jealous for some reason.

Ultimately they refused to serve me a brandy, my friend shared theirs with me and we left, out of protest we refused to pay.

The food is nice but the misogyny is another story altogether.

The parody comments are my favourite thing I think.

My experience was tragically similar. I went to The Dairy and ordered quite a few bottles of wine, a pint of beer, three large rums and a few shots of tequila and the waiters wouldn't even look after my son as I was taken to hospital.

And they wouldn't refund my meal after I had had my stomach pumped. Not recommended.

I, too had a similar experience. I stopped off on the school run for a few shots of tequila and when I slid under the table the waiters wouldn't even help me back into my car to drive my kids home.

Furthermore, I arrived home to a frankly terse message from the front desk complaining that I'd forgotten my ginger stepchild again. 4/10

Thoughts? Comments?
LOL. Be a responsible parent and consumer.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Brilliant, but it's hard to take it as fact. If they were being twats about having to navigate the chair, and not being too nice when they wanted extra stuff then I agree she had a right to complain. If they agreed that she didn't have to pay then that's the arrangement, but she did say the food was great.

If she was plastered and breastfeeding, well, that's kinda bad. Women should be allowed to breast feed anywhere without fear of misogyny and arrogant looks. I don't know whether that happened.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Sep 9, 2013,
Eh, I can see her point but bringing a whiny screamy kid into a high end restaurant and not getting why it's not really the place for a little kid... That said if they really were being that overdramatic about it being there then shehas a point. As for breastfeeding that shouldn't be an issue

and

she must have been jealous
hahaohwow
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by vintage x metal
LOL. Be a responsible parent and consumer.

What's irresponsible about expecting your waiter to stop his entire job to watch your tiny baby so you can go out for a fag?

This is clearly all the stupid restaurant's fault
Almost too outrageous to be real.

Almost. I was at a diner this summer and I heard a lady complain that her plate didn't look like the one in the menu. I shook my head, because she has some harsh life lessons coming up.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
what a huge C.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
what a huge C.

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by Mephaphil
Brilliant, but it's hard to take it as fact. If they were being twats about having to navigate the chair, and not being too nice when they wanted extra stuff then I agree she had a right to complain. If they agreed that she didn't have to pay then that's the arrangement, but she did say the food was great.

If she was plastered and breastfeeding, well, that's kinda bad. Women should be allowed to breast feed anywhere without fear of misogyny and arrogant looks. I don't know whether that happened.

Really? It clearly wasn't a kid-friendly restaurant. If she wanted to take her kid out she should have gone to some garish gastropub with a carpark full of minivans and a ball pit. You can't expect the entire world to accommodate to the fact you have kids, particularly not a fancy restaurant.

She said it was really busy - I bet her high chair was in the way and the "several" bottles of wine impaired her ability to notice.
Quote by Mephaphil
They had a high chair which assumes that they are cool with children.

The review said the staff looked bemused that she had a small child, and then had to do a lot of rummaging around to find a chair.

Not like they had a whole stack of them leant against the soft play area.
I see nothing wrong with letting the waitresses take care of the child. As women are genetically predispositioned to be good at caring for children this shouldn't really be a problem. ¯\_(ツ_/¯
Quote by So-Cal
I see nothing wrong with letting the waitresses take care of the child. As women are genetically predispositioned to be good at caring for children this shouldn't really be a problem. ¯\_(ツ_/¯

This is logic that I can stand behind.

Thanks for being so innovative, So-Cal!
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by So-Cal

She's too busy, given that she's at work and all.

"Sorry Ma'am, I can't serve you right now, I'm watching this woman's child. Yes chef, I know there are meals sitting on the pass slowly getting cold, but I'm watching this woman's child. No supervisor, I can't seat and greet that newly-arrived table of two, I'm watching this woman's child. Sorry guys, I can't bring out the birthday cake, I'm watching this woman's child. Sorry sir, I can't take your coffee order, I'm watching this woman's child. Sorry group of eight, I can't clear your table, I'm watching this woman's child. No sir, I can't bring you the bill, I can only stand here and stare at this woman's child until she returns from her smoke break. Sorry irate old lady, I can't collect your coat so you can leave until this child's mother deigns to resume her care-taking responsibilities..."
If it was as she said then they were rude. But we only have one side to the story.

I see a lot of discriminatory behaviour towards single mothers, and I feel that as a paying customer she should have been accommodated. Yea, even if they have to rummage around. If she's polite about it I don't see what the problem is.

But because of their behaviour she refused to pay. Of course, this is all based on her account.

She could have been obnoxious, loud and rude which led to staff having very little patience with her, in which case she's a dick.
She sounds like a total bitch, but I do have a question that is somewhat related.

Isn't there some legitimate debate as to the amount of alcohol a mother can drink while pregnant? I know that it is general practice to not drink any alcohol at all during pregnancy, but I have heard some rumblings that this is perhaps over cautious and that there is nothing to support small levels of alcohol being bad for either the mother and the child.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
because it is equally funny how much of a bitch she is

ftfy
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Dreadnought
She sounds like a total bitch, but I do have a question that is somewhat related.

Isn't there some legitimate debate as to the amount of alcohol a mother can drink while pregnant? I know that it is general practice to not drink any alcohol at all during pregnancy, but I have heard some rumblings that this is perhaps over cautious and that there is nothing to support small levels of alcohol being bad for either the mother and the child.

A couple of units a week yea, but she isn't pregnant. I do believe it's not wise to breast feed if you're drunk though.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Sep 9, 2013,
Wait so why is anyone outraged? She brought an annoying baby to a high end restaurant. Of course the staff is going to be grumpy. They have to deal with rich posh people all day, and now go out of their way for a baby. Ever tried eating at a restaurant with a damn child causing a ruckus while you are trying to enjoy a meal in quiet? And about that breastfeeding in public thing, uh... Isn't that what breast pumps and formula are for?

/Also. Who drinks alcohol when they are out with their young child?
Last edited by Wormholes at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
If it was as she said then they were rude. But we only have one side to the story.

I see a lot of discriminatory behaviour towards single mothers, and I feel that as a paying customer she should have been accommodated. Yea, even if they have to rummage around. If she's polite about it I don't see what the problem is.

But because of their behaviour she refused to pay. Of course, this is all based on her account.

She could have been obnoxious, loud and rude which led to staff having very little patience with her, in which case she's a dick.

Do me a favour and read it again. She was clearly being an obnoxious cunt.

She was so drunk by the end of it that I don't think any kind of logic about how they acted entered into it.

Quote by WCPhils
ftfy

Yeah fair enough. Synonyms in my mind though

Quote by Wormholes
Wait so why is anyone outraged? She brought an annoying baby to a high end restaurant. Of course the staff is going to be grumpy. They have to deal with rich posh people all day, and now go out of their way for a baby. Ever tried eating at a restaurant with a damn child causing a ruckus while you are trying to enjoy a meal in quiet? And about that breastfeeding in public thing, uh... Isn't that what breast pumps and formula are for?

Oh yeah nothing makes my skin crawl like the sound of a baby screeching, but I don't think that's the outrage.

It's probably the fact that she got blind drunk, left her kid in the high chair to go out for a fag, and then flopped a tit out and tried to breast feed whilst continuing to drink.

Also she said she fed the kid some unsatisfactory vegetables - those poor wait staff, she must have been there for HOURS if she had to feed him again.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
The review said the staff looked bemused that she had a small child, and then had to do a lot of rummaging around to find a chair.

Not like they had a whole stack of them leant against the soft play area.

If it's not your intention to cater to adults with children, why have any?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
She's too busy, given that she's at work and all.

"Sorry Ma'am, I can't serve you right now, I'm watching this woman's child. Yes chef, I know there are meals sitting on the pass slowly getting cold, but I'm watching this woman's child. No supervisor, I can't seat and greet that newly-arrived table of two, I'm watching this woman's child. Sorry guys, I can't bring out the birthday cake, I'm watching this woman's child. Sorry sir, I can't take your coffee order, I'm watching this woman's child. Sorry group of eight, I can't clear your table, I'm watching this woman's child. No sir, I can't bring you the bill, I can only stand here and stare at this woman's child until she returns from her smoke break. Sorry irate old lady, I can't collect your coat so you can leave until this child's mother deigns to resume her care-taking responsibilities..."

Her job is to cater to all the people she is serving not just pick and choose who she wants to help because that's called discrimination. She can do all of those things and watch the child, it's called multitasking something women are supposedly good at.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
What's irresponsible about expecting your waiter to stop his entire job to watch your tiny baby so you can go out for a fag?

This is clearly all the stupid restaurant's fault

God, people treat 'server' and 'servant' all too similarly. You'll get shit service if you are a shit customer, period.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Arby911
If it's not your intention to cater to adults with children, why have any?

Fair point. I certainly wouldn't if I had a restaurant.

The restaurant is apparently in "Nappy Valley"... a part of London overrun with young middle class yuppies with young kids. It would probably price them out if they couldn't accommodate polite, well behaved children.

I think it's fairly reasonable to expect that parents don't get blind drunk and expect you to babysit during their fag breaks though.

Quote by So-Cal
Her job is to cater to all the people she is serving not just pick and choose who she wants to help because that's called discrimination. She can do all of those things and watch the child, it's called multitasking something women are supposedly good at.

Nah.
You are not supposed to breast feed when u r drunk, u will get your son drunk
Well, I wasn't there, so it's difficult for me to pass judgement. Sorry for being boring.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
I think this is the first time i've seen one of your posts that wasn't really serious.

Probably because you're shit at reading.

Quote by Mephaphil
Well, I wasn't there, so it's difficult for me to pass judgement. Sorry for being boring.

Well if you don't agree that parents and kids in restaurants are an intolerable hell then we probably don't agree on anything.
If I had a restaurant I would not allow children at all.
As in, you're not allowed in if you're under 18.
Quote by macashmack
If I had a restaurant I would not allow children at all.
As in, you're not allowed in if you're under 18.

Excellent policy.

Fuck crayon all over the walls and crumbled Cheerios ground into the carpet and all the other mess that parents don't clean up after in restaurants.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I don't like kids and think people who have kids are inferior retards

Man, we get it. You don't have to keep making threads to remind us.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Well if you don't agree that parents and kids in restaurants are an intolerable hell then we probably don't agree on anything.

I agree they can be an annoyance. I think the review is bullshit anyway.
Quote by WCPhils

Yeah cos every parent ever acts like that woman, that's why I posted it, not because it's a semi-amusing bit of current affairs

Quote by Mephaphil
I agree they can be an annoyance. I think the review is bullshit anyway.

To what end though?

The restaurant have confirmed she was a real customer... I guess the restaurant could have written it but surely that's a bit weird and not particularly publicity-generating?
Shiiiit, I had customers that were much worse to her, I wish they cared enough to document their stupidity on the internet.

Sometimes, it was awesome to have parents and children as customers when I was a waiter. Once I spilled an entire tray of drinks on like 4 kids and their table, to include on one of the moms that was with them. They actually all thought it was hilarious and were super chill about it. Gave them free sundaes or something because of it. I was super embarassed.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Because the best thing to do to prove you aren't overly serious is to act like a bitch.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
To what end though?

The restaurant have confirmed she was a real customer... I guess the restaurant could have written it but surely that's a bit weird and not particularly publicity-generating?

Yea, I didn't realise that.

I'm still kinda open to both sides. I don't mind parents with kids at restaurants. I rarely see them there anyway so it's not a big deal for me.
Quote by WCPhils

It's even funnier that she's a teacher.
Yeah come to think of it, I can't really think of any particularly bad experiences I've had with parent/kid combos. Most of the assholes were douchebag yuppies or crotchety old bitches (men and women).
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Because the best thing to do to prove you aren't overly serious is to act like a bitch.

Loads of my posts aren't serious, if you can't read them then it's not my place to prove anything to you

Quote by Mephaphil
Yea, I didn't realise that.

I'm still kinda open to both sides. I don't mind parents with kids at restaurants. I rarely see them there anyway so it's not a big deal for me.

I dunno. If they're drinking 3+ bottles of wine between 3 people and then wandering off leaving their kid behind in the high chair then it starts to be a problem as far as I'm concerned.
Page 1 of 2