Would The Dark Knight Rises have been better with an ambigious ending?

Poll: Best..
Poll Options
View poll results: Best..
...with ambiguity.
24 73%
...without ambiguity.
9 27%
Voters: 33.
Page 1 of 2
So yeah rewatched the film for the first time since I saw it in cinemas today.

Batman flies the bomb out, it detonates, he supposedly dies. Everyone mourns for him. The last 5 minutes hint that Bruce survived the blast, with letting Blake discover his legacy, the missing pearls in the will, and Fox finding out he'd maybe fixed the autopilot.

THEN THE FILM RUINS IT ALL AND SHOWS US BRUCE SURVIVED GODDAMIT. Alfred sees someone, smiles and then it's shown it's Bruce. Great. I would've preferred it if he'd just smiled and we didn't know who at, would've been a great talking point.

What's your though? Would the audience have been pissed off with a non-conclusive ending, or is a bit of ambiguity good in general? DISCUSS

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I thought Dent killed Dumbledore?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
I thought Dent killed Dumbledore?

Dent killed Dumbledore but Aragorn took the blame, because he's the hero Westeros deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
it would have been better if it had never been made

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Dent killed Dumbledore but Aragorn took the blame, because he's the hero Westeros deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Never expected quotes from Deuteronomy in this thread
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Sep 9, 2013,
it would have been better if they had done a lot of things different. the ending has little to do with it.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by entity0009
it would have been better if it had never been made

It weren't even bad, wasn't as good as the first 2 but it wasn't bad at all. Better than The Avengers.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
It weren't even bad, wasn't as good as the first 2 but it wasn't bad at all. Better than The Avengers.

Avengers synposis

Iron Man sequel
Who's that scientist guy?
Where's the Hulk? Isn't he in this movie?
Found him. 90% of his air time took place in 5 of the last minutes of the movie.
Credits.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I'm always fond of the hero dying because it's seldom done and it's usually more accurate to real life.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by eGraham
Avengers synposis

Iron Man sequel
Found him. 90% of his air time took place in 5 of the last minutes of the movie.
Credits.

Don't forget the "Who the **** are these guys attacking NY again? It don't matter since we'll never mention them again."
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Nah. Avengers was exactly as it should've been.
Quote by eGraham
Avengers synposis

Iron Man sequel
dat ass
Credits.

FTFY
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Mephaphil
Nah. Avengers was exactly as it should've been.

It was a funny watch with a paper thin plot and Robert Downey Jr overshadowing everyone again.

I actually got sort of emotional and some points in TDKR. Dat Hans Zimmer score.

I actually enjoyed MoS more than Avengers too because the score is just so brilliant.

Quote by Colgate Total
Don't forget the "Who the **** are these guys attacking NY again? It don't matter since we'll never mention them again."

Quote by entity0009
FTFY

I can live with this
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by homeless-john
It would have been better if it ended with 30 minutes of Batman just raw dogging Catwoman.

Yep.

But really I only liked the movie because im a Bane fanboy.

As well as a Tom Hardy fanboy
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Sep 9, 2013,
From an artistic point of view, media that allows individual thought and supports speculation is much more relevant to us. In the movie Inception, for example, the ending wasn't entirely clear but it stimulated people to question and ponder on the possible scenarios which only made the movie more relevant and memorable to them, even if many audiences didn't appreciate this gesture- but that is only because over the past many years, the audience has been exposed to a menagerie of movies following simple plots with obvious conclusions rarely, if ever, deviating from this formula which produces a content audience, but that's not what art is ultimately about, movies like that are mere entertainment.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
It was a funny watch with a paper thin plot and Robert Downey Jr overshadowing everyone again.
Yeah but in fairness it's not hugely different to the usual W/PIS in the comics like when spiderman manages to kill the hulk or something

Quote by Aralingh
From an artistic point of view, media that allows individual thought and supports speculation is much more relevant to us. In the movie Inception, for example, the ending wasn't entirely clear but it stimulated people to question and ponder on the possible scenarios which only made the movie more relevant and memorable to them, even if many audiences didn't appreciate this gesture- but that is only because over the past many years, the audience has been exposed to a menagerie of movies following simple plots with obvious conclusions rarely, if ever, deviating from this formula which produces a content audience, but that's not what art is ultimately about, movies like that are mere entertainment.
And this is why I hate the concept of "art for the people"
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by Banjocal
Yeah but in fairness it's not hugely different to the usual W/PIS in the comics like when spiderman manages to kill the hulk or something

You're forgetting one very important detail.

Spiderman is ****ing awesome

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by eGraham
You're forgetting one very important detail.

Spiderman is ****ing awesome
true, but it's still the usual bullshit

I mean think about ultimatum in MUU. You just know that someone's going to whip out a miracle superpower and go back in time and stop Reed and everything will be ok and the massive ****up will be once again rectified
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal

And this is why I hate the concept of "art for the people"

I reckon Avengers could've had a bit of gravitas but it seemed like a cobbled together movie, like they just chucked Loki in because he was popular in Thor, and there wasn't really an arc they'd planned for future films, well there might be but they should've hinted at it more and then have the future films revolve around it.

I hope it's something they do with the new DC films, have each film touch on the other in more of a plot sense and really get a continuity going properly, we'll have to see.

Yeah "art for the people" sucks, I wish they'd have left TDKR's ending ambigious so people could speculate a bit and come out talking about the film some more but it was TOO conclusive which was somewhat boring. But people would've raged if Batman had died.

Regardless of the ending, it wouldn't have saved that debacle of a Batman movie.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Well thing is I mean The Hulk could easily hurt Loki (and did), but the fact that Stark and Rogers managed for more than 5 seconds against him in those situations says a lot about how undermined his powers are compared to the comics.

Even though Stark could fight Thor or Loki well for a period of time, he would be absolutely crushed unless he had the Thorbuster armor and as for Loki he could magic IM into all sorts of crazy shit
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by Nelshizzle
Regardless of the ending, it wouldn't have saved that debacle of a Batman movie.

What was so bad about it apart from "too much JGL not enough Batman" ?

I have no complaints about the ending. The movie would have been ten times better if they didn't have anne hathaway play catwoman though. Cute girl, piss-poor actor.
Isn't it ambiguous?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I interpreted it as Alfred imagining Bruce there, and that Bruce really is dead.

It's pretty hard to believe that someone as rich and famous as Bruce Wayne could "disappear" and have no one think "hey that's Bruce Wayne, he isn't dead!" so the only way this could work is for Alfred to be imagining it.

Fox discovering Bruce fixed the autopilot implies that either Bruce isn't dead, or that he fixed the autopilot but decided not to use it.
He did that with Inception. It screwed everyone's mind. I think he went for the "not sitting through that again"approach.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
i agree with the op, the movie would've been better if it cut to the credits after the smile

avengers was ****ing awful

amazing spiderman wasn't much better.. tdkr was the only superhero movie that year worth a shit

Quote by Random3
I interpreted it as Alfred imagining Bruce there, and that Bruce really is dead.

It's pretty hard to believe that someone as rich and famous as Bruce Wayne could "disappear" and have no one think "hey that's Bruce Wayne, he isn't dead!" so the only way this could work is for Alfred to be imagining it.

Fox discovering Bruce fixed the autopilot implies that either Bruce isn't dead, or that he fixed the autopilot but decided not to use it.

+1
To be fair, the film's ending was way better than almost every comic book's ending. :/ So...mission accomplished?
I personally thought it was a decent ending. Sure, they didn't NEED to show Bruce alive at the end (It was already hinted at, of course).

All in all, I don't look into it too much. It was a decent film all the way through, and I'm not going to get pissed about the last 2 minutes. I thought the best part of the ending was when it was revealed that John Blake's full name was Robin John Blake. I was like "Yeeeeah baby!".

EDIT:

i agree with the op, the movie would've been better if it cut to the credits after the smile

avengers was ****ing awful

amazing spiderman wasn't much better.. tdkr was the only superhero movie that year worth a shit

Probably would have been cooler. Yes, Avengers was TERRIBLE. And please tell me you've seen the Spider Man movies with Toby Maguire. So much better. Amazing Spiderman seemed like an unnecessary re-boot/cash-grab to me.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Sep 9, 2013,
I like the part when Bane whips out his wand and kills Morgan Freeman. Dat part was 2 dope.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by k.lainad
I like the part when Bane whips out his want and kills Morgan Freeman. Dat part was 2 dope.

Not even death could kill Morgan Freeman. Getcho facts straight.
Page 1 of 2