Im just wondering if guitar center used guitars for under $100 are any good?
or is guitar center any good at all?
Id like to get a les paul style guitar as it seems to have caught my eye.

on guitar centers website I looked up "lp" in the search bar and then selected guitars for the filter

I would also like to get off the acoustic yamaha trainer guitar so I could also learn about pedals and amps n whatnot
(deleted links)
was one similar to the 3rd link for $80 but don't think it was at to local store
or maybe someone knows a better place for guitars for under $100? I may spend more on a guitar in good condition and that I really like, but im lacking a amp and case and the electric guitar and don't know if you can but a good electric guitar under $100.

Thanks,
Higgins909
Guitar center is not the best place for used guitars, they need to make a profit so anything they are selling is pretty much at the max price you could possibly get for whatever guitar it is. You're better off searching on Craigslist or Ebay.
Well, it depends on the guitar. If its a Squier Bullet, no. If it's a MIA Strat, then yea. So what guitars are coming up?

I don't know about this Yamaha acoustic trainer, and I don't know how it can teach you about amps, pedals and what not. The best way is to play through as many amps and pedals as possible. It's like 95% practical.
Quote by J_W
Guitar center is not the best place for used guitars, they need to make a profit so anything they are selling is pretty much at the max price you could possibly get for whatever guitar it is. You're better off searching on Craigslist or Ebay.

Not true.

Prices on CL are competitive with Guitar Center's used prices, but the selection on CL is a total crapshoot.

Prices on Ebay tend to be quite a bit higher than GC's used section.

There are deals on used instruments at GC that you just can't find anywhere else. At least, not with any reliability. A Reverend Daredevil for $350, a Malden Karma for $225(!), a G&L Asat for $275, MIM Strats all day every day for around $225, etc.

However, in answer to the OP's question, I would consider any used guitar that sells for less than $100 to be fairly worthless. The Schecter Omen 6. Ibanez GIO and Peavey USA strats are probably the exception to the rule. The problem at that price point is you're trying to find the one or two decent starter instruments in a rubbish heap of Wal-Mart junkcasters.
^+1
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by Mephaphil
Well, it depends on the guitar. If its a Squier Bullet, no. If it's a MIA Strat, then yea. So what guitars are coming up?

I don't know about this Yamaha acoustic trainer, and I don't know how it can teach you about amps, pedals and what not. The best way is to play through as many amps and pedals as possible. It's like 95% practical.

Have you played one? I've been thinking about picking up a Bullet to repaint for a while. I keep thinking "Come on it's only £91 how bad can it be?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCDB_UqQLzM

It sounds decent.
Quote by MegadethFan18
"Come on it's only £91 how bad can it be?"

Really, really, really bad with a frozen truss rod and more dead frets than good ones.

Maybe that guy got a lucky one, maybe he did a bunch of work on it, who knows. The Bullet strats I've played have ranged from playable but crappy sounding to total abominations. I wouldn't waste money on one if you can afford anything else. The best you can hope for is "functional." That's not exactly a high bar.

As has been said, you can often find stuff like Yamaha Pacificas, Peavey Reactors, Cort and similar Samick factory guitars for around the $100 mark, and I think you'd have to be drunk to pick the Bullet over any of those in most circumstances. You can actually get a decent guitar in the $100/£100 range, but the Bullet isn't one of them.
Yea I've played them.

I'm not hating on them, I was just creating contrast. But yea, they aren't amazing. Play one through a Rockerverb and it'll sound alright, but a MIA will sound much much better.

It's preference and those with the Bullet will defend it until they die, comparing it to a guitar 10x the value of that one, but that's their right.
Quote by Roc8995
Really, really, really bad with a frozen truss rod and more dead frets than good ones.

Maybe that guy got a lucky one, maybe he did a bunch of work on it, who knows. The Bullet strats I've played have ranged from playable but crappy sounding to total abominations. I wouldn't waste money on one if you can afford anything else. The best you can hope for is "functional." That's not exactly a high bar.

As has been said, you can often find stuff like Yamaha Pacificas, Peavey Reactors, Cort and similar Samick factory guitars for around the $100 mark, and I think you'd have to be drunk to pick the Bullet over any of those in most circumstances. You can actually get a decent guitar in the $100/£100 range, but the Bullet isn't one of them.

Oh lord. a frozen truss rod doesn't sound too good.

I don't mind if it's a pos I'm not buying it as a "serious" guitar I was just going to buy one for fun to strip then repaint it a funny colour. I still might, as long as the wood isn't warped/cracked I should be able to get it running. If it's too messed up I can just return it. I'm perhaps more curious now.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Sep 10, 2013,
Quote by samuraigoomba
Not true.

Prices on CL are competitive with Guitar Center's used prices, but the selection on CL is a total crapshoot.

I've bought a lot of stuff on CL over the years and in my expeience, it's true. You have to search around a lot, but there are deals to be had. Guitar Center charges full retail value.
Quote by MegadethFan18
Oh lord. a frozen truss rod doesn't sound too good.

I don't mind if it's a pos I'm not buying it as a "serious" guitar I was just going to buy one for fun to strip then repaint it a funny colour. I still might, as long as the wood isn't warped/cracked I should be able to get it running. If it's too messed up I can just return it. I'm perhaps more curious now.

I mean...you could buy an actual decent guitar for the same amount, is all. I guess if you really want that particular headstock shape, sure, but beyond that I can't think of a single reason to get a Bullet. You've got tons of options in that price range, and you've picked one of the crappiest ones