Page 1 of 2
Sue's thread got me thinking... Who here has worked in food service? How long did you stay in it and how did you feel about it?
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I was a cook for several summers. With a shitty boss, it's the deepest, darkest level of hell. With a good boss, it's awesome.
Ha, you might never have heard of bakers burgers?

but..in all of southern california..i make the best one's(nothing to brag about of course just happens to be fact)
I've had casual/seasonal work for food vans, I always enjoy it but I move cold room stock and restock fridges so I don't actually have anything to do with cooking or serving customers.
Food service seems to make people really resentful, ESPECIALLY when the authority figures are resentful (bosses/managers)

I worked as a server for 6 months and the GM who hired me had to leave as soon as I got hired, so things changed for me BIG TIME. I eventually got fired over nothing, and now I am a pastry chef for the same restaurant's bakery. You usually bake by yourself or one other person, and the manager is super chill, plus our main boss is the owner of the restaurant and bakery so she has other shit to worry about.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Yuh, I was a busboy for awhile and then came back and worked at the same place as a server when I turned 18.

Probably total was about 2 years worth. It was stressful some nights, easier others. It was a pretty busy, large menu cafe kind of place.
My God, it's full of stars!
I am working in food service right now, and I am one of the people with awesome bosses

I think independent and corporate McDonald's are two different beasts, but someone might need to confirm this
Quote by yoman297
I am working in food service right now, and I am one of the people with awesome bosses

I think independent and corporate McDonald's are two different beasts, but someone might need to confirm this

Yeah definitely. Corporate sucks because it's hard to be yourself and there are lots of little rules, but it's organized to work in and you generally won't get fired over something insignificant. Independent/local generally has really cool people surrounding it and you have to be yourself to survive working, but you have to be more conscious of in-house politics.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by sam b
Who is sue, and what thread?

That's me
When i was in Highschool i used to work at McDonalds,and a pizza place cleaning dishes and such.

It really sucked
Quote by sam b
Who is sue, and what thread?

beeeeyyyyiiitch!!

Sue is Mistress_Ibanez and the thread was about a shitty restaurant review that was actually just a lady being an asshat
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I work for a company that delivers food to people homebound do to crippling illnesses.
Yes, I worked at Chick-Fil-A for 6 years, made my way up to Kitchen Manager.

How did/do I feel about it?: The majority of the people I worked with were awesome and I am still really good friends with all of them, everyone has kept in contact after moving on. The owner of the store was great, and he is an extremely valuable reference for me, if I want I know that I can get hired at any Chick-Fil-A (if I ever needed to, which I have) pretty much as soon as they see his name.

The actual work I really didn't mind because my co-workers were great, the customers were the worst part of the job and tended to be dicks.
Quote by Thrill-house

The actual work I really didn't mind because my co-workers were great, the customers were the worst part of the job and tended to be dicks.

This seems to be a general feel of food service. It's awesome that you've got your boss as a reference
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I run the grill and water thermalizers at a pasta restaurant. I've done so (as well as being a busboy) for the past 3 years.

When you work with amazing people like I do, the job really isn't that bad at all. When you have bad co-workers or a bad boss every day can be awful, though.
Quote by Dreadnought
Yuh, I was a busboy for awhile and then came back and worked at the same place as a server when I turned 18.

Probably total was about 2 years worth. It was stressful some nights, easier others. It was a pretty busy, large menu cafe kind of place.

Now Dreadnought specializes in dishing out whoop-ass.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I haven't but my boyfriend does and he pretty much hates it.

Just last night some punk kids threw ranch dressing all over the windows and he was pretty upset. He works the late shift so he gets out of work around 6 am so his crowd is the drunk partiers getting out of clubs and such. His manager is a bit of a jerk and some of his co-workers are pretty lazy so he gets stuck with most of the brunt of the work.
I have. Stayed for most of a year working part time. There were some really good people that I worked with. There were some people that I really disliked and didn't carry their share of the work - primarily the people who were constantly on smoke break. Bosses were great and continued to give me perks, free food and the like, even years after I'd left. Customers weren't because they were mostly drunk college kids who were really inconsiderate and impatient and loud and messy.

Working the grill turned me into a vegetarian. Raw meat is massively disgusting.\

In general, it made me really appreciative of the people working food service.
Quote by Andrea55
I haven't but my boyfriend does and he pretty much hates it.

Just last night some punk kids threw ranch dressing all over the windows and he was pretty upset. He works the late shift so he gets out of work around 6 am so his crowd is the drunk partiers getting out of clubs and such. His manager is a bit of a jerk and some of his co-workers are pretty lazy so he gets stuck with most of the brunt of the work.

That's a real shame I live in a college town and I feel so bad for my friends that work late or at the bars. I even get a little freaked throwing the bakery's trash out late at night because the dumpster is behind all the bars and there are always assholes wandering around there. Your boyfriend got a really bad deal last night.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I used to work at Shari's. The boss was a total dick who for some reason didn't like me and wouldn't give me my damn promotion even though I was told by literally everyone else that I was the best dishwasher.
I washed dishes and worked as a prep cook when I was a kid. It permanently ruined my hands, even with thick rubber gloves (in b4 "use gloves" comments) but it gave me perspective on the hard work people with dead end jobs do sometimes. While prep cooking was a small part of big machine, so to speak, it taught me a few basic cooking skills back when I knew nothing, and I found out that not every dish is made with precise measurements down to the last grain of salt. When making mashed red potatoes, it was actually a really simple recipe that you had to have an eye for. A certain amount of cream, a certain amount of onion powder, butter, salt, pepper, so on so forth. No measuring cups, you just did what looked and felt right. And it turned out good every time I made them. It's a hard dish to screw up, even though it's an important compliment to steak/chicken/turkey, etc.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by JustRooster
Now Dreadnought specializes in dishing out whoop-ass.

Grilled or crispy
I cooked for 6-7 years. It sucked. Too much stress. Glad I made the right decision and got fired for it.
I've been working in a university dining hall for the last year and a half.

Miserable is the best word to describe it.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I worked in the dish pit of a large chain here in Canada (The Keg if anyone knows it) and I hated it. It's just way too fast paced and hectic all the time. I'm way too chill to handle it. Everyone is constantly screaming about shit that just doesn't matter.
I worked in food for four years. It really depends on your boss(es).

Aside from management, the days were never bad. You always had a snob or two that were un-please-able, but you can't let it get to ya. The biggest downside was how exhausted you'd be at the end of the day. There's a reason there aren't many places that drug test in the food industry.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by mjones1992
I worked in food for four years. It really depends on your boss(es).

Aside from management, the days were never bad. You always had a snob or two that were un-please-able, but you can't let it get to ya. The biggest downside was how exhausted you'd be at the end of the day. There's a reason there aren't many places that drug test in the food industry.

Yeah, I have to say the bakery/restaurant is my most frequented toke spot after my apartment
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I worked for a year at Arby's (which, for those who don't know, is a fast food restaurant that specializes in roast beef sandwiches). It wasn't the best job, but it gave me some experience in what working in "the real world" is like.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I worked for a year at Arby's (which, for those who don't know, is a fast food restaurant that specializes in roast beef sandwiches). It wasn't the best job, but it gave me some experience in what working in "the real world" is like.

Ahhhh, so that's how Crazysam was created...
Quote by Dimarzio45
Ahhhh, so that's how Crazysam was created...

He's just a bigass pile of roast beef
Arby's prepared you for the "real world" ? I wouldn't share that.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
He's getting ready for that special someone, guys.

You will eventually run into these in your life
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal

Turn that sideways and it looks like one of the nastiest vaginas I've been with, post-coitus.

Anyway, yes. I've work at Tim Hortons making coffee and and sandwiches, etc. I worked the overnight shift though, so it was boredom more so than shitty customers that I had to deal with. I ended up getting moved to baker though, so I was baking donuts and everything mostly. Anyway, like a terrible employee, I quit on a day I had to work (no notice) and said I was joining the Army.

I never joined the Army.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Going on 5 years now. It ain't so bad.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Yes, I worked at a fast-food place here for 5 months. It was pretty chill though because it was in the CBD so really the only time we had to be alert and get things done fast was during the 2-hour lunch rush. My shift started after the breakfast crowd and ended at 5 pm so it was pretty empty the rest of the time.

Pretty basic stuff, just prepping trays etc. I got paid $15 an hour which is amazing, even more than I'm paid now. The only thing I didn't like was smelling like food after and it took me a year to want to eat at that place again. But everyone was really nice to me.
cat
Quote by vintage x metal

This actually made vomit rise in my throat.

Seriously that does begin to explain some things about sam though.
Quote by captainsnazz
This actually made vomit rise in my throat.

Seriously that does begin to explain some things about sam though.

I'm pretty sure I'll always be reminded of Crazysam when I eat there. Arby's made him fucking crazy. He probably always overdid it with the cheese, too. Damnit Wisconsin.
Page 1 of 2