Im looking to upgrade my MIM (HSS) Stratocaster, and i´ ve hear good things of the PG on strats, but i dont know if it would be a good choice for what i play because of the Medium Output Category it has

I alredy have in mind some Texas Specials for the mid and neck position, but im looking for a hotter Humbucker not insanley hot but something a little bit more than the stock one

I mostly play 80´s Hard Rock, to some Heavy metal (Think Scorpions and all the way up to some Ozzy Osbourne or maybe GNR)

Should i get the PG? or something else?

EDIT: It also needs to be in Trembucker spacing
Last edited by MeTAL SOLDIER at Sep 9, 2013,
Unless you are concerned with aesthetics then you don't really NEED a trembucker. The SD PG would be a fine choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Unless you are concerned with aesthetics then you don't really NEED a trembucker. The SD PG would be a fine choice.

Thats true, i was just saving me the job of getting a new pickguard
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 9, 2013,
should work, but if you really want something aimed at 80s hard rock and metal, something a bit tighter and higher output might be a better idea.

up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
SOAD guitarist Daron Malakian used to swear by the Pearly Gates. Not sure what he is using these day.

I have had one in the past and worked great for crunchy hard rock tones.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
I hated the Pearly Gates. While they had a really cool percussive almost acoustic sound on the clean channel they were flabby on the bottom and jangly on the top with very little in the middle. Couldn't cut through the mix worth a damn.

Even were I not so biased against them I'd still suggest something different for the tones you're after. You really want something tighter for any of that 80s rock stuff. PG are more the loose and ugly ZZ Top cover band kind of sound.
I suggest something warmer in a strat, unless you're using 250K pots. My usual 80's pup suggestions for strats is the Dimarzio Super Distortion. If that's too hot, a tone zone is slightly less hot.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
1. If you plan using 250K pots, consider the following:
Dimarzio PAF Pro or Norton, Duncan Pearly Gates or JB

2. If you want your Texas Specials to balance well with the humbucker, I'd go with the lower output options like the PAF Pro or PG.

3. If you go with 500K pots I'd personally go with a Dimarzio Super Distortion or AT-1 or Duncan Custom Custom or even Custom/59 hybrid.
In this case though you better consider noiseless singlecoils that work better with 500K pots.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
^ it's also worth deciding whether you want the single coils to balance with the full humbucker, or to balance with the humbucker's split tone...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Duncan SH-4 or Dimarzio SD would be my choice for 80's hard rock
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I want the coils to be balanced with the full humbucker and im going to use 250k pots

Would the JB work?
Only if you look into some rather hot singlecoils.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If ya finalised on the Texas Specials single coils then you'd need a medium or vintage output bucker to balance with them output wise. Unless ofcourse if you are willing to lower the pickup height of the hotter HB pickups to compensate.

The Dimarzio 36th PAF is a great choice to blend with the those single coils, for something hotter the AT-1(this is dimarzio's take on the JB for Andy Timmons) set at lower height. A Super Distortion wired in parallel would work too.

From the Duncan side there is the 59/C Hybrid, Custom Custom or the usual JB(lower height should help balance it with the SC's)
^ + ^^ yeah. to balance with singles you're gonna want pretty much as low output as you can get, and even then it won't really balance unless the singles are pretty hot.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?