well i got an rr1 last week and the it came with a pearly gates that sounds good in its
own right but not quite what i am looking for.

You see i like to play styles like Metallica, Children of Bodom, Death, Steve Vai and so on.

The output level of the pup is not quite there.

so i was thinking of these choices

Dimarzio X2n

Evo or Evo 2

tonezone

other options?

Keep in mind the Jackson is made of alder maple and ebony so its a bright guitar.

can you guys help me make a decision?

p.s. looking to try dimarzio for the first time so therefore i am not at this time considering Duncan or emgs or bare knuckles
Drop the Evo, Evo2, and X2N as all three are quite tinny.

BTW what's your amp?
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
Drop the Evo, Evo2, and X2N as all three are quite tinny.

BTW what's your amp?

i am going to invest in a better amp but for right now its a peavey vyper

why drop the x2n? i can understand the evo's.

any suggestions?
The X2N is powerful but in all honesty otherwise a pretty uncontrollable and overall not great pickup.
I would check out the D Activators for the Metallica, Death, CoB stuff. Tone Zone would be the best from the list you provided though I think
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Because the Evo and Evo2 both have a lot of high end on certain amps. There's no way you're going to get enough low end punch to play CoB, Death, and Metallica songs with an Evo or Evo2.

Honestly, you may want to look into getting a set of SD Blackouts. I have the AHB-2 (aka "Blackouts Metal") in my bridge, which is EQ'ed as 7bass/ 9mid/5high. In my neck position, I have the AHB-1 (aka "Blackouts [Regular]"), which is EQ'ed as 6bass/5mid/8high. This gives me a lot of low end & mid punch for those heavy riffs, while having a good amount of highs for soloing and occasional accompaniment lead parts.
I find that one gets less buzz with Blackouts than ones tends to get with EMGs, btw. But that's a personal thing; some people like EMGs better. If you were going to get EMGs, I would go with an 85 in the bridge, and an 81 in the neck. Again, that would give you a lot of low end & mid punch for those heavy riffs, while having a good amount of highs for soloing and occasional accompaniment lead parts.

One note: in order for active pickups to sound good on your amp's cleans, you will probably have to EQ your amp slightly differently than you EQ it for distortion. Active pickups were actually developed for Jazz originally, so they can do excellent cleans, if you EQ correctly.

Of course, all of this is assuming you're willing to check out active pickups. If you want passive pickups, well...some of the other rec's are good.

Oh, and for that good Vai tone (or really a good soloing tone in general), some delay is good. So, you may need to buy a delay pedal, if your amp doesn't have delay as a built-in effect.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 9, 2013,
I like the Tonezones.

But I picked the Pearly Gates over the Tone Zones for playing classic metal like Metallica (among other things)
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Take a listen to RailHammers. The HyperVintage is a standard voiced HB. The Chisel is voiced more for harder rock and metal. The Anvil is the hottest of the bunch, but is only made for the bridge position...so far.

Tesla also has some nice pickups for metal. I like the VR-Extremes, but they have hotter ones than that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
ive been very happy with my experience with dactivators. prob cant go wrong with those.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab