Im getting into more "high gain" guitar, Satriani & Vai type stuff. I currently play an American Standard Strat and a Gretsch 5120, not your typical metal guitar.

I was looking at the Ibanez JS100 and S420. I have seen them both used in about the $300 range which is where I would like to be price wise, but I do gig so i need it to be a solid axe.

Im not too familiar with Ibanez's lineup, so if there is something that would be better for Satch type stuff feel free to shoot it out there as long as its about $300-$500. Thanks y'all.
Its hard to beat Ibanez for Vai and Satriani tones, since they're both Ibby players. Other good options can be found from Schecter, BC Rich, Fernandes or Godin (mainly their Redline HB or a used Velocity).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 10, 2013,
Either one should serve you well for what you plan to do.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I have a JS100, they suck really bad. Mine is in its case in the top of my closet, and it has not seen daylight in a few years.

The pickups suck, the trem sucks. Mine is the older MIK one which is arguably a much better guitar than the new MIC ones. I would never advise anyone buy one
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah don't get a js100.
I dunno bout US prices but maybe you could try and score a used rg prestige in the upper range of your budget?
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have a JS100, they suck really bad. Mine is in its case in the top of my closet, and it has not seen daylight in a few years.

The pickups suck, the trem sucks. Mine is the older MIK one which is arguably a much better guitar than the new MIC ones. I would never advise anyone buy one

Ill just give you my address and you can send her right on over then.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Thanks for the links, the Fernandes look pretty cool and affordable. Anyone have one and can attest to the quality?
I can't speak directly to their entry-level guiitars' quality, but I have owned a higher-end Fernandes Ravelle Elite for almost a year and I'm expecting a used Ravelle in the mail on Monday. Not only that, I have my eye on a third Ravelle (a SHIN Koi model) and a Dragonfly.

Fernandes is one of those companies that aims for the hard-rock/metal, etc. musicians with generally skinnier than average necks and higher-output pickups across their entire product line. They're good, but just not as high-profile as some similar companies.

They tend to be pretty well represented in the used market, though. Check GC, eBay or your local Craigslist or other online resource for used guitars.

+1 on avoiding the js100. it's a beginner/intermediate guitar masquerading as an expensive guitar because of the signature. For the same price you can often get an MIJ prestige, which is the way to go. if you can't stretch to a prestige, even an s (with better zr trem) would be a better option than the js100.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DG_Griffin
Ill just give you my address and you can send her right on over then.

Honestly give me $300 and its yours. I don't kid when I say that the Js100 is total POS, but if you want it , send me your info and we can do something
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate