I play rock/metal. I'm looking for an overdrive pedal. do I want a tubescreamer or something more aggressive like a zakk wylde overdrive??
With what amp and for what genres? And how much money do you want to spend? You're a bit sparse with the info there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ +1

but the simple answer really is that, for most situations, either should do (the zw is a glorified sd1, right?). The two circuits should be pretty similar, the zw (assuming it is more or less an sd1) will be a bit edgier and grittier while a tubescreamer will be smoother.

that's not to say you might not have a preference for one or the other. But both should, more or less, work.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It would be better though if you gave some details but still..
Maxon OD808. Period.
Last edited by odensson95 at Sep 10, 2013,
don't get the zakk wylde. the MXR classic OD which is based on a TS9 has a switch inside that changes it to a ZWOD
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
My recommendation is a FullTone OCD or a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by odensson95
It would be better though if you gave some details but still..
Maxon OD808. Period.

yeah that's certainly the only tubescreamer-alike pedal which is available.

Quote by RealGuitarHero
don't get the zakk wylde. the MXR classic OD which is based on a TS9 has a switch inside that changes it to a ZWOD

good point
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The "effect" varies from amp to amp. I've used a Maxon OD808 and am currently using a friend's ZW.
Maxon - I found running the pedal with the gain at 9 o'clock tone at 12 and the level cranked suited me best. I almost always had the amp's gain set from 9 to 12 o'clock depending on which amp i was using. The amps I used it on were a 5150, dual rec, triamp, jcm900, and a framus cobra(only two of the amps were my own). The only amp i thought sounded better without the pedal was a 5150. The maxon cuts A LOT off bottom end out.

Zakk Wylde - I'm currently using this with a Framus Dragon(i just got back into playing again after a four year break). It's a bit more dirty and also cuts the lows quite a bit. It has a lot of bite though.

For what it's worth...My buddy is a session player in Nashville and recommends the TC electronic spark boost. It's supposed to be super transparent and not cut out any frequencies.