Page 1 of 3
After recently going up two gauges from 10s to 12s, I first had a little trouble bending the strings. Now I can bend them as easily as 9s. Is this improvement actual strength or is this just in my head?
The real question is: does it matter?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Nothing in guitar playing requires strength (beyond what small children have anyway), and the fingers do not have muscles so.........
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
The real question is why the need for 12 gauge strings?Cause i assure you in a recording or any blind test you wouldnt be able to tell .You might as well do just that....make recordings before and after leave them for a couple of weeks to forget about them and then listen to them again....you think you ll find the 12 gauge strings sounding heavier than....8s for example? i personally wouldnt bet on it .
Quote by Shor
Nothing in guitar playing requires strength (beyond what small children have anyway), and the fingers do not have muscles so.........

What absolute bullplap. Small children can't bend the 2nd fret G string up a tone. Most of them would have trouble having enough strength to do hammer ons and pull off too.

The fingers don't have muscles, but you have muscles and tendons in your forearm and hand that you have to strengthen massively.
Quote by hairydeadperson
What absolute bullplap. Small children can't bend the 2nd fret G string up a tone. Most of them would have trouble having enough strength to do hammer ons and pull off too.

The fingers don't have muscles, but you have muscles and tendons in your forearm and hand that you have to strengthen massively.

Small children is very arbitrary
I'd say that most of these "strength"-issues come from hardening your skin and using efficient technique.
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Yes your guitar playing muscles and tendons have gotten stronger. Pretty much everyone else that has commented is being a useless fool. And 12s will sound heavier than 8s, what a stupid statement. compare stevie ray vaughans tone with someone who plays with 8s. 8's will sound like a flimsy chicken salad, 12's a 1/2 pound beefburger. If you use lots of distortion though, it is pointless. If you want heavier strings to sound as heavy as they are, keep it with minimal distortion
I'm not saying technique isnt important, but im pretty sure eric clapton probably has a good bending technique, and yet when he played srv's guitar he said he felt like a beginner again because the strings were so big. Its a simple matter of tension- a thicker string is under higher tension and therefore more hard to bend
Quote by Shor
Small children is very arbitrary
I'd say that most of these "strength"-issues come from hardening your skin and using efficient technique.

But i think we could agree small children arent any older than 9, and i would say a good amount of 9 year olds would not have the strength to bend a G string up a tone on the 2nd fret.
Quote by hairydeadperson
But i think we could agree small children arent any older than 9, and i would say a good amount of 9 year olds would not have the strength to bend a G string up a tone on the 2nd fret.

Firstly...why the obsession with the 2nd fret bends? That is not what I (or pretty much anyone) would use as a reference as a normal bend. Those are obviously much harder to pull off properly...but even then it doesn't require that much force, if you are comparing it to "normal" strength exercises. Such as lifting heavy objects and so on.

I'd also like to reiterate about you saying that hammer-ons and pulloffs require significant strength.
If you believe that, then your technique is terribly flawed. That is a pure technique thing...
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
yeah, your muscles get stronger, but the skin also hardens and the fact that you find yourself struggling less every day also helps you find playing easier, so its really a mix.

jumping the wagon with the remarks on tone and such, your average listener probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 9s and 12s in terms of sound of, say, an open string - especially not on an electric guitar. the differences are super subtle and mostly to do with the peaks and attenuation ("dying out") of the string's various overtones - anyone ever noticed that pinch harmonics come out more nicely on lower gauges?

in my experience though, higher tension strings stay in tune better, and the fact that they're harder to bend means that you'll generally have less issues with intonation. also means you can really get into it and rock out and forget about technique and your power chords won't sound as filthy and dissonant as they would if you were playing with 8s
thing with 12s though is you need to have a wound G , for some reason (on my guitars at least) plain Gs in 12 gauge sets sound out of tune with themselves also i learned the hard way that skinny ibanez necks can't take the tension of 12s with a wound G, so i'm rockin' 11-49s..

point is, yeah your muscles get stronger
They definitely get stronger. You exercise the muscles between the fingers and the wrist muscles.
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
Quote by intwernet
They definitely get stronger. You exercise the muscles between the fingers and the wrist muscles.

But those aren't fingers -_- fingers stay the same.
Your forearm muscles are what cause the tendons to move, and yes, your strength DOES increase, ever heard of those exercises people do to increase their grip? 12s are basically the same, you put more effort into it and build up strength until it's no problem, however, you still won't be able to bend them like 9s, you can get a few steps out of a bend on a 9 gauge string, but the 12 gauge is too tight to bend that much, regardless of strength. Another good comparison is moving from nylon to steel strings, besides the obvious callus issue, your fingers have weakened because you haven't had to exert as much force.

If you care to look at your left hand, your fingers should be quite bent, naturally curling instead of sticking straight out, that's part of building up strength.

Also, it's all about preferences, 8-9 gauge strings are just awful to me, I like to have resistance on my strings, not have them flop around like crazy, ESPECIALLY on the lower strings. They definitely sound different, strings are the most important element to your "gear tone". Like all things, it does indeed become a bit less pronounced with copious amounts of gain, but you'll notice someone trying to chug and riff on some loose as **** strings.
Quote by Reages
But those aren't fingers -_- fingers stay the same.

Strength is a measure of power, or ability to do work.

If you can exert more force with your fingers, they have gotten stronger, regardless of the biomechanics.

I don't see why this is even being discussed, the OP had a very clear question, and you have just been obnoxious and awkward.
Quote by daniel_consid
Strength is a measure of power, or ability to do work.

If you can exert more force with your fingers, they have gotten stronger, regardless of the biomechanics.

I don't see why this is even being discussed, the OP had a very clear question, and you have just been obnoxious and awkward.

+1
of course your fingers will get stronger if you practice in heavier gauges,...I think you are doing a good thing, also you must have noticed the tone quality ah?
I find the better I get the less strength I need, I use 9s but can bend 5 tones pretty easy on any string, but not at the 2nd fret I doubt
Quote by hairydeadperson
Yes your guitar playing muscles and tendons have gotten stronger. Pretty much everyone else that has commented is being a useless fool. And 12s will sound heavier than 8s, what a stupid statement. compare stevie ray vaughans tone with someone who plays with 8s. 8's will sound like a flimsy chicken salad, 12's a 1/2 pound beefburger. If you use lots of distortion though, it is pointless. If you want heavier strings to sound as heavy as they are, keep it with minimal distortion

So i guess Hendrix who used very light strings sounds like a flimsy chicken salad.Dude seriously there is an ELECTRIC guitar to the mix and of course an AMPLIFIER..so basically either someone using 8s or 13 you wont have a freaking clue(or anyone else that claims to be an expert).You can have the same player with the same settings and guitar setup play an SRV cover with 8s 10s and 13s and i bet you anything you wont be able to find the heavier.Tony Iommi played using banjo strings and he is the grandfather of the heavy sound .
There's a very obvious effect on the sound. Someone with thicker strings can dig in MUCH more. You have to play softly on light strings or they're going everywhere and going sharp as ****. Also, yes, Hendrix definitely had a lighter sound than SRV, but that's not a bad thing. It's a DIFFERENT thing. But tone isn't the only reason to play thicker strings, it's all about preference while playing, as I've stated.

Also, you're confusing the types of heavy. Heavy music isn't the same, Black Sabbath was the heaviest band around, but Iommi's playing was very light, for obvious reasons, it's kinda hard NOT to when you're missing finger tips. He did get pretty good sounds out of chords, though, but then again, Tony Iommi isn't exactly human, what looks like a guitar to our ears actually looks more like this:

Quote by Velcro Man
There's a very obvious effect on the sound. Someone with thicker strings can dig in MUCH more. You have to play softly on light strings or they're going everywhere and going sharp as ****. Also, yes, Hendrix definitely had a lighter sound than SRV, but that's not a bad thing. It's a DIFFERENT thing. But tone isn't the only reason to play thicker strings, it's all about preference while playing, as I've stated.

Also, you're confusing the types of heavy. Heavy music isn't the same, Black Sabbath was the heaviest band around, but Iommi's playing was very light, for obvious reasons, it's kinda hard NOT to when you're missing finger tips. He did get pretty good sounds out of chords, though, but then again, Tony Iommi isn't exactly human, what looks like a guitar to our ears actually looks more like this:

This is just another guitar myth that can be easily disproven.As i said get the same player to play the same guitar,same setup,same amp and effect settings to play the same guitar with 3 different gauges extremely different in size...you wont know which is the heaviest or which is which.....its THAT simple.

Your explanation that Iommi isnt exactly human isnt really an explanation.He played with the lightest of strings(he bought banjo strings and even used the lightest ones for the e AND b) but the sound wasnt lacking in anyway.The fact that some people are strings bangers than string players is another issue.If you are a string banger the thicker strings will last you longer for sure but the sonic result wont be any different.Its usually more of a technique problem than anything else for most people or an ego thing(look at me i play 13s iam a badass like SRV).Sound differences have nothing to do with the issue.

So heavy or light maybe be a preference thing playability wise but sound?Nope.You have waaaay better chances of influencing the sound by raising the action on your current cauge strings.
Thinner gauge strings vibrate more, thus lose sustain and volume. Strings influence your sound more than pickups, really.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov07/articles/guitartech_1107.htm

The more you know

You are somewhat correct, though, but it's impossible to tell what kind of guitar, pickups, pedals and usually amps a person is using (some amps have very distinct sounds, even then, there ARE copies) the variables are too great for a listen to discern, but the player will notice.
Last edited by Velcro Man at Sep 13, 2013,
Quote by Velcro Man
Thinner gauge strings vibrate more, thus lose sustain and volume. Strings influence your sound more than pickups, really.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov07/articles/guitartech_1107.htm

The more you know

String action yes stings themselves no....and strings influence sound more that your pickups?iam sorry so you basically claim that you can put a single coil and a humbucker to a guitar with the same gauge strings and it ll sound less different than a guitar with same pickups but diff strings? keep dreaming buddy.

PS i gave you a very realistic example where the variables are reduced to just the strings....replicate it anytime you want or anyone else that cares really.....and if you find the heaviest string out of the bunch ill buy you a new guitar.......i ll also bet that if you take the test a month later you cant even find the same result(even the faulty one)...the results ll be random.
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Sep 13, 2013,
Quote by Dreamdancer11
String action yes stings themselves no....and strings influence sound more that your pickups?iam sorry so you basically claim that you can put a single coil and a humbucker to a guitar with the same gauge strings and it ll sound less different than a guitar with same pickups but diff strings? keep dreaming buddy.

PS i gave you a very realistic example where the variables are reduced to just the strings....replicate it anytime you want or anyone else that cares really.....and if you find the heaviest string out of the bunch ill buy you a new guitar.......i ll also bet that if you take the test a month later you cant even find the same result(even the faulty one)...the results ll be random.

And I gave a source with a reliable explanation AND a scientific basis for how it works. It's simple physics. The less the string moves around, the less energy is wasted, thus it rings louder and longer. The sound is actually quite noticeable on an acoustic, however. There's a MASSIVE difference in that scenario, but it's less so on an electric due to the fact that the only thing that makes the sound is the magnetic disturbances, but a string flopping all over the place loses volume, sustain and sounds less clear.

The vibrations of the strings are caused by the transfer of kinetic energy from your picking hand to your strings. The more the string moves around, the more energy is lost simply from the string flopping all over the ****ing place, but if the string doesn't flop all over the place, the energy is more concentrated on just enough vibrations to cause sound (volume), which also means the energy takes longer to decay (sustain).

tl;dr when strings move too much, they waste energy that could be used towards sustaining a note and increasing the volume.
Quote by Velcro Man
And I gave a source with a reliable explanation AND a scientific basis for how it works. It's simple physics. The less the string moves around, the less energy is wasted, thus it rings louder and longer. The sound is actually quite noticeable on an acoustic, however. There's a MASSIVE difference in that scenario, but it's less so on an electric due to the fact that the only thing that makes the sound is the magnetic disturbances, but a string flopping all over the place loses volume, sustain and sounds less clear.

Whats the point to a scientific explanation if you cant hear it mate?Dogs can also hear in frequencies that we dont....but if we cant hear it then whats the freaking point....again you avoided my example and try to rely on scientific explanation...you know why? cause you know that in an objective test like that you (me or anybody else)would be slaughtered....

if i asked you for a test to distinquish colors you would jump right in cause lets face it...anybody non colorblind can do it...but sound is different and deep down we all know it...the differences you think you know are usually subjective and a blind test ll leave you totally clueless.

You are right on one thing though...all those things and myths...from guitar woods to strings to anything.... are pretty much true or at least LISTENABLE when it comes to acoustics...but thats the problem.The facts from acoustics are myths for solid body electrics ...of course those myths are the selling points of many things so there is an interest in perpetuating them....but thats another story altogether.
Quote by Dreamdancer11
Whats the point to a scientific explanation if you cant hear it mate?Dogs can also hear in frequencies that we dont....but if we cant hear it then whats the freaking point....again you avoided my example and try to rely on scientific explanation...you know why? cause you know that in an objective test like that you (me or anybody else)would be slaughtered....

if i asked you for a test to distinquish colors you would jump right in cause lets face it...anybody non colorblind can do it...but sound is different and deep down we all know it...the differences you think you know are usually subjective and a blind test ll leave you totally clueless.

You are right on one thing though...all those things and myths...from guitar woods to strings to anything.... are pretty much true or at least LISTENABLE when it comes to acoustics...but thats the problem.The facts from acoustics are myths for solid body electrics ...of course those myths are the selling points of many things so there is an interest in perpetuating them....but thats another story altogether.

I don't think you quite understand the meaning of objectivity...a test whether or not WE hear it is subjective. However, I explained in my edit just now how it's NOT as minute as you claim. Wood has absolutely no effect on tone, but the strings on your guitar ARE your sound.

The point of scientific evidence is to proof what I say is true, a blind test proves nothing because there's no way to prove it. I hear what I hear, but I can't prove it to you and vice versa, but when there's scientific evidence backing it up (unlike "tone" woods) then it has a basis in fact.
Quote by Velcro Man
I don't think you quite understand the meaning of objectivity...a test whether or not WE hear it is subjective. However, I explained in my edit just now how it's NOT as minute as you claim. Wood has absolutely no effect on tone, but the strings on your guitar ARE your sound.

The point of scientific evidence is to proof what I say is true, a blind test proves nothing because there's no way to prove it. I hear what I hear, but I can't prove it to you and vice versa, but when there's scientific evidence backing it up (unlike "tone" woods) then it has a basis in fact.

If you dont hear it mate then there is no point.A blind test puts your misconceptions and belief to a little box and FORCES you to rely to the only thing that matters...sound.If you do the test and you choose randomly then you cant hear it even if you get it right......if i make you take the same test a month later are you sure you can make the same choice(even if it was wrong?).Dont bet your life on it.Whatever differences they may be if you me or anybody for that matter cant hear them then who freaking cares.A blind test proves everything....
So what I'd really like to know... have these people above gained any finger strength typing up these short stories above?
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Dreamdancer11
If you dont hear it mate then there is no point.A blind test puts your misconceptions and belief to a little box and FORCES you to rely to the only thing that matters...sound.If you do the test and you choose randomly then you cant hear it even if you get it right......if i make you take the same test a month later are you sure you can make the same choice(even if it was wrong?).Dont bet your life on it.Whatever differences they may be if you me or anybody for that matter cant hear them then who freaking cares.A blind test proves everything....

It's kinda hard to blind test your own shit. Maybe if there was a way to wear gloves so that you don't feel the strings, but meh. Another person playing your guitar defeats the purpose, nobody sounds the same, there are too many variables for an accurate blind guitar test. I know from experience from using different strings that there are differences in sound quality between gauges and string companies. It's the same reason I HAVE to change strings often.

Quote by Shor
So what I'd really like to know... have these people above gained any finger strength typing up these short stories above?

No, but I maintain it
Quote by Velcro Man
It's kinda hard to blind test your own shit. Maybe if there was a way to wear gloves so that you don't feel the strings, but meh. Another person playing your guitar defeats the purpose, nobody sounds the same, there are too many variables for an accurate blind guitar test. I know from experience from using different strings that there are differences in sound quality between gauges and string companies. It's the same reason I HAVE to change strings often.

Another person playing defeats the purpose? on the contrary having another person playing accomplishes two things: first it puts you and your beliefs out of the equation while on the same time scrathes out the whole "different player" factor cause he would be the SAME person playing all the diff type of gauges.....i mentioned before how....its pretty doable really.....i dont think you really understand what a blind test means though....it means you cant rely on any other senses but the aural one..If you have it in your hands mate you dont have to play them you just touch them and you know instantly the heaviest one...are you kidding me here?
Quote by Dreamdancer11
Another person playing defeats the purpose? on the contrary having another person playing accomplishes two things: first it puts you and your beliefs out of the equation while on the same time scrathes out the whole "different player" factor cause he would be the SAME person playing all the diff type of gauges.....i mentioned before how....its pretty doable really.....i dont think you really understand what a blind test means though....it means you cant rely on any other senses but the aural one..If you have it in your hands mate you dont have to play them you just touch them and you know instantly the heaviest one...are you kidding me here?

The biggest part of our tone is in our fingers, so one person playing your guitar is going to sound vastly different, regardless. If it was identical guitars, one with light gauge strings, another with heavy, I could see that working. But the difference is obvious when you play different strings, not just because of the feeling, but because of the tone. 10 gauge strings feel best by FAR to me, but 11-12s sound much better, but 10s make it easier to play. I mean, you can accuse me of being wrong, but that's all it is, an accusation.

Think about it, you can tell a DRASTIC difference when you drop tune. If there weren't any differences, why wouldn't most people use 9 gauge strings while tuning to C Standard? YOU COULD BEND TO THE MOON WITH NO DISADVANTAGE
Quote by Velcro Man
The biggest part of our tone is in our fingers, so one person playing your guitar is going to sound vastly different, regardless. If it was identical guitars, one with light gauge strings, another with heavy, I could see that working. But the difference is obvious when you play different strings, not just because of the feeling, but because of the tone. 10 gauge strings feel best by FAR to me, but 11-12s sound much better, but 10s make it easier to play. I mean, you can accuse me of being wrong, but that's all it is, an accusation.

Quote by Dreamdancer11
This is just another guitar myth that can be easily disproven.As i said get the same player to play the same guitar,same setup,same amp and effect settings to play the same guitar with 3 different gauges extremely different in size...you wont know which is the heaviest or which is which.....its THAT simple.

You chose to ingore what i have written earlier....read above carefully same everything even the setup expept the gauges....same player so the hands are no issue..same amp effects pickups,height of pickups, same guitar, action etc etc etc same everything except the strings.Spot the diff, can you do it? cause if you cant or anybody for that matter there is no difference or no diff audible or worth mentioned.....what is so hard to understand....that is an objective test if you want to actually take it.....all the rest are just stories of people thinking they are able to hear stuff.......do that or anybody that claims to hear differences and then you can say anything...till then though....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfCq1DnF378 Right here is a video that does a great job of showing it. Neither sound bad (nor did I claim they did) they both sound great, but definitely have a different tone. The 11s have a more twangy, trebly sound, and the 8s have a more bassy, throaty sounds. It's interesting because I was thinking of country stuff/SRV during his 11 playing and Hendrix during the 8s. It might be because he's not used to it, but the chords do get a bit muddy on the 8s

I must say, I feel I went into it very unbiased, because I tend to expect to be proven wrong, even when the evidence supports it haha, but I was actually a bit surprised at how well he was able to show the differences, and as I said before, with electrics, it IS easier to mask with effects because of the saturation, as he mentioned.
Quote by Velcro Man
Right here is a video that does a great job of showing it. Neither sound bad (nor did I claim they did) they both sound great, but definitely have a different tone. The 11s have a more twangy, trebly sound, and the 8s have a more bassy, throaty sounds. It's interesting because I was thinking of country stuff/SRV during his 11 playing and Hendrix during the 8s. It might be because he's not used to it, but the chords do get a bit muddy on the 8s

I must say, I feel I went into it very unbiased, because I tend to expect to be proven wrong, even when the evidence supports it haha, but I was actually a bit surprised at how well he was able to show the differences, and as I said before, with electrics, it IS easier to mask with effects because of the saturation, as he mentioned.

From the moment you watch the video you become biased whether you want it or not..cause this isnt a blind test...you know the thing that you afraid the most especially if you play the guitar like Rob cause then you tend to also mix the feeling that they have in your hands(and your mind compensates subconsiously) which is completely irrelevant to what we are talking about here......
Wanna keep hiding behind your finger? this isnt a serious test."Here is the 8s here are the 11s spot the differences" its has to be "here is sound a here is sound b here is sound c tell us which is which"...but you know you dont want it cause you may as well end up indentifying 8s as heavier and people laughing at you..... lets get real here.....
Quote by Dreamdancer11
From the moment you watch the video you become biased whether you want it or not..cause this isnt a blind test...you know the thing that you afraid the most especially if you play the guitar like Rob cause then you tend to also mix the feeling that they have in your hands(and your mind compensates subconsiously) which is completely irrelevant to what we are talking about here......
Wanna keep hiding behind your finger? this isnt a serious test."Here is the 8s here are the 11s spot the differences" its has to be "here is sound a here is sound b here is sound c tell us which is which"...but you know you dont want it cause you may as well end up indentifying 8s as heavier and people laughing at you..... lets get real here.....

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/presumption/no-true-scotsman/ A classic! Perhaps if I couldn't identify the differences and just said there were differences, but there are obvious differences...and of course you still made excuses as to why they are different. I assume if I were to do a blind test, you would accuse me of luck? Did you even watch the video yourself? You just seem too set to accept the possibility that you MIGHT be wrong, so I understand the futility of the discussion, but I can't help but hope for the best and hope an intelligent discussion blossoms out of this. Don't go into the video KNOWING you will be right, go watch it and expect you MIGHT just be proven wrong, and as I said, I was biased, but I was biased against myself. I fully expected the video to prove nothing.

Also, come to think of it...you kinda committed the straw man fallacy, as well!
Quote by Velcro Man
http://www.logicalfallacies.info/presumption/no-true-scotsman/ A classic! Perhaps if I couldn't identify the differences and just said there were differences, but there are obvious differences...and of course you still made excuses as to why they are different. I assume if I were to do a blind test, you would accuse me of luck? Did you even watch the video yourself? You just seem too set to accept the possibility that you MIGHT be wrong, so I understand the futility of the discussion, but I can't help but hope for the best and hope an intelligent discussion blossoms out of this. Don't go into the video KNOWING you will be right, go watch it and expect you MIGHT just be proven wrong, and as I said, I was biased, but I was biased against myself. I fully expected the video to prove nothing.

Also, come to think of it...you kinda committed the straw man fallacy, as well!

Well mate if you actually did the blind test and get to a result.....you would have approximately a 33% to be right even by sheer dumb luck(if the samples are only 3 mind you).....then without telling you the result i would make you take the blind test a month later or something and then once again later......

what i claim is this: either you were right or wrong you wouldnt be able to even duplicate the results....cause if the first time you chose one sample the second time you would have to choose the same third time the same...etc etc etc. Even if that was wrong that would at least show some consistancy...but the results ll be random.....i can make you take the test 10 times show the results after the 10th time is over and you ll never pick the same...meaning that you never heard anything only though you were

Now you can try to avoid this like you have been doing all this time but the truth is you (and iam including anyone else also) wouldnt be able to distinguish jack.Get it now?
Quote by Dreamdancer11
Well mate if you actually did the blind test and get to a result.....you would have approximately a 33% to be right even by sheer dumb luck(if the samples are only 3 mind you).....then without telling you the result i would make you take the blind test a month later or something and then once again later......

what i claim is this: either you were right or wrong you wouldnt be able to even duplicate the results....cause if the first time you chose one sample the second time you would have to choose the same third time the same...etc etc etc. Even if that was wrong that would at least show some consistancy...but the results ll be random.....i can make you take the test 10 times show the results after the 10th time is over and you ll never pick the same...meaning that you never heard anything only though you were

Now you can try to avoid this like you have been doing all this time but the truth is you (and iam including anyone else also) wouldnt be able to distinguish jack.Get it now?

I get that you're making tons of baseless accusations and generalizations with no root in fact, just...what you're saying. No matter how many times you wink, I've presented plenty of evidence to the contrary. I've given examples of how it's SCIENTIFICALLY true, I gave examples of string comparisons and you just deny deny deny without even TRYING it or considering that you might be wrong. I've changed my mind, I'm sick and tired of this, you wouldn't admit it even if you did try it out and heard a distinct difference, I'm done with this conversation, carry on convinced that you're right.
Quote by Velcro Man
The 11s have a more twangy, trebly sound, and the 8s have a more bassy, throaty sounds.

I'd have said the opposite.

I suspect in that vid (could be wrong ) the 8s there sound a bit muddy because they're so loose at Eb tuning. if you had them at more sensible tensions, i always figure lighter gauges sound snappier and brighter, while heavier gauges have more body to them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 3